Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gearing up... Really?

Okay, so just hit 90 on my druid alt. Playing feral.. and want to start arena.

Iv farmed one trinket last night wasnt so bad, but does blizzard really want you to farm public bgs over and over ? Is there no other way? Working on 7k honor so i don't have to use a blue weapon, using timeless epic gear, and bging. But this is really frustrating, public bgs remind me of LFR, which i avoid at all cost on my main.

I don't mind having to work for my gear, but so many bots, afkers, and mid fighters...

Yup, BGs are basically all you can do unless you have friends. If you have at least 1 good DPS friend and you have a tank/healer spec, it's actually faster to do random heroics and turn the Justice into Honor.

Every random heroic is about 500 Justice, which is 250 honor. Random heroics take about 15 minutes, so you can do 4 per hour, which would be 1000 honor an hour (faster sometimes, if you get good DPS) compared to BGs which is probably about 500 honor an hour, since you lose about 50% of the time. I've been trying to gear up a few characters, heroics are definitely faster but if you get stuck with bad players they're slower. So if you have any friends that will grind heroics with you do that, otherwise your only option is the miserable BGs.

Oh, also, do Wintergrasp/Tol'barad every time they're up. Queue for them, then join a BG, that way if the BG is going to be a loss (especially a slow loss, AB when you have 2 nodes all game for example) you can leave without getting deserter by joining Wintergrasp when it pops. Plus they give pretty good honor, about 250-300 for a win. And I win just about every time since I'm usually the only person that joins haha.

I feel like Heroics are a quicker way to gear up than battlegrounds if you have a group or if you're a tank. Here's why I think so:

• The average Heroic will take up to 10-15 minutes (especially if you queue up with a group).
    • You will likely get 500 JP or more from a single Heroic.
    • If you queue up with a group that has a healer or tank, you're generally guaranteed instant queue.
    • Meanwhile, the average wait (on my realm) is 5-10 minute waits for BG queue and sometimes longer.
    • You risk only getting around 130 honor or so from a loss in BGs.
    • Battlegrounds can take anywhere from 6-26 minutes, generally in the middle of that. Sometimes longer (AQ).
    • People are less cooperative in BGs than dungeons.

If anybody has any reasons why they feel like BGs are better, I'd like to hear them, as I'm currently gearing up an alt too. And as Rucati said, Wintergrasp and Tol'Barad (especially with quest) provide a good amount of honor as well.

get the addon oqueue and find a premade group to join, that is the fastest way i've found to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    If anybody has any reasons why they feel like BGs are better, I'd like to hear them,
    Throughout leveling a couple of characters and gearing them up, the only real advantage that I've seen from battlegrounds is that they're generally more fun, but certainly not fun enough to make it worth doing bgs over dungeons. It's pretty silly how the fastest way to get pvp gear is through dungeons, but I suppose I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Throughout leveling a couple of characters and gearing them up, the only real advantage that I've seen from battlegrounds is that they're generally more fun, but certainly not fun enough to make it worth doing bgs over dungeons. It's pretty silly how the fastest way to get pvp gear is through dungeons, but I suppose I don't mind.
    Yeah, true. Even with the 125 JP increase to the conversion for JP to honor Heroics are still quicker from what I can tell - I think something's pretty wrong with that. I think they should be trying to make BGs more worthwhile than increasing how much JP is needed for the conversion to boot.

I think Wondercop's suggestion might be a pretty decent option too, if you can find a really good premade you can definitely increase your winning chance and speed.

If you are alliance, and Alterac Valley is call to arms, that can be more efficient than heroics, we win ~90% of the time for 400-500 honor a pop usually under 10 mins. Other than that, I would stick to heroics and TB.

Well, made a quick tank set and did about 1500 honor worth of dungeons in mmm 40-80 mins. I mean it's quicker and a lot less of a headache.

Deleted
    welp at least I learned i can do dungeons for honor lol

just do yolo rbgs and get conq at the same time, until you have rating then join organized ones.

Edit: yolo rbgs are just random people dont give a shit rbgs, basically a random bg but you get conq and sometimes they are good.
    do what you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Okay, so just hit 90 on my druid alt. Playing feral.. and want to start arena.

Iv farmed one trinket last night wasnt so bad, but does blizzard really want you to farm public bgs over and over ? Is there no other way? Working on 7k honor so i don't have to use a blue weapon, using timeless epic gear, and bging. But this is really frustrating, public bgs remind me of LFR, which i avoid at all cost on my main.

I don't mind having to work for my gear, but so many bots, afkers, and mid fighters...
    If you want quick pvp gear, I farmed the 3 rares in krasarang across roughly 5 servers. In 5 hours I had a full tyrannical set.

OP. Battlegrounds are generally easy but, can be quite frustrating. You can go days without winning more than a few, and then all of a sudden you win 10 in a row. Since the advent of base resilience it's just easier to jump straight into dungeons, pve gear etc and then work your way through a few BG's + start on Arena. As you have already noticed you can even do dungeons for honor.

I find that I actually win BG's a lot and i hate pve, so dungeons are not a good option for me, but sounds like you need to go the dungeon route. Don't forget to dabble in a BG or two, though. It always makes for a nice change of pace. Echoing other posters, definitely play AV if your Feral is alliance as they win that BG a lot.

As Feral, if you can get your hands on a good weapon soon you'll see a nice damage boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaige View Post
    If you want quick pvp gear, I farmed the 3 rares in krasarang across roughly 5 servers. In 5 hours I had a full tyrannical set.
    Could you elaborate on this, please?
    What exactly do those rares drop? (Just got back in the game so really no idea what you mean exactly )

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    What exactly do those rares drop? (Just got back in the game so really no idea what you mean exactly )
    If im not mistaken when you kill them you get HP and they drop 250 HP or something like that when you kill
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    The rares drop 350 honor each, there are 3 in Krasarang on a 1 hour respawn timer. So the idea is to kill all 3, get your 1050 honor, then get an invite from a friend on another server. On his server the rares aren't dead, kill them for another 1050, repeat for as many servers as you can. Doing this is far and away the fastest, assuming you have friends on other realms for cross realm invites. Like he said, 5 hours, 5 servers, and you're set. 1050 per server per hour, 5 servers is 5250 an hour, 5 hours is 26000 or something, full tyrannical is like 27000. So yeah, you can more or less get a full set in a few hours. In fact, if you have friends sitting around doing nothing they could just make new characters on other realms and you'd be fine that way too.

As for BGs, I think they need to give far more honor. Instead of 80 for a loss and 250 for a win it needs to be like 200 for a loss and 400 for a win. Otherwise Justice -> Honor from heroics will always be faster. The nice part about BGs is you can learn to play your class better in PvP. Was helpful for my Monk, since obviously I had no idea what the hell I was doing at first, but for any other alts it's useless since I can play everything else at a high level and have for years. But if you're playing a character you've never played before it could be good to learn some stuff while you play.

Tyvm for a detailed answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    You had one week to gear up between seasons, those who don't plan do not get the worm?

Anyway, spam AV. A proper AV loss is worth 200 hono(u)r which is about the same as a standard BG win, no? Jump into Wintergrasp and Tol Barad. If you have a TV/laptop next to your computer, find something awesome to watch. I believe my Druid gearing up was sponsored by Castle, Community and Poirot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    I feel like Heroics are a quicker way to gear up than battlegrounds if you have a group or if you're a tank. Here's why I think so:

• The average Heroic will take up to 10-15 minutes (especially if you queue up with a group).
    • You will likely get 500 JP or more from a single Heroic.
    • If you queue up with a group that has a healer or tank, you're generally guaranteed instant queue.
    • Meanwhile, the average wait (on my realm) is 5-10 minute waits for BG queue and sometimes longer.
    • You risk only getting around 130 honor or so from a loss in BGs.
    • Battlegrounds can take anywhere from 6-26 minutes, generally in the middle of that. Sometimes longer (AQ).
    • People are less cooperative in BGs than dungeons.

If anybody has any reasons why they feel like BGs are better, I'd like to hear them, as I'm currently gearing up an alt too. And as Rucati said, Wintergrasp and Tol'Barad (especially with quest) provide a good amount of honor as well.
    1) you get to earn conquest at the same time (if you win). it's not much, but saves you some time overall in getting much better gear
    2) if you get lucky you can get a winning streak, and get a decent amount of honor + conquest that day
    3) you can get unlucky with dungeons, if its only a 3 boss run with lots of trash it can take a while, with kinda shitty rewards
    4) pugging heroics can be hit or miss, you may get stuck with some terribly geared people
    5) bg's are more fun (when you aren't against a premade)

overall, bg's are the more fun, but riskier option. heroics are really dull after a while and it can become a chore, so personally the quickest way I gear up is by queuing for both, at the same time, so when you come out of one the other queue instantly pops. also it's a good idea to still to the Isle of thunder and do the dailys, 500+ honor and some conquest for 10 minutes work isn't so bad, and on my server it's quiet enough so nobody bothers you (on the opposing faction)

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    In fact, if you have friends sitting around doing nothing they could just make new characters on other realms and you'd be fine that way too.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the people on the other realm would need to be level 90. I think this was the case a month ago, so it should still hold true. Nevertheless, those rares are definitely the way to go if you have off-server friends and assuming that they rares aren't being camped by another person doing the same thing. I was watching Snutz continuously get invited for rare after rare a week ago or so, I think he had 3,000 honor within a matter of 10-15 minutes. It's crazy really.

Quote Originally Posted by suitepee7 View Post
    1) you get to earn conquest at the same time (if you win). it's not much, but saves you some time overall in getting much better gear
    2) if you get lucky you can get a winning streak, and get a decent amount of honor + conquest that day
    3) you can get unlucky with dungeons, if its only a 3 boss run with lots of trash it can take a while, with kinda shitty rewards
    4) pugging heroics can be hit or miss, you may get stuck with some terribly geared people
    5) bg's are more fun (when you aren't against a premade)

overall, bg's are the more fun, but riskier option. heroics are really dull after a while and it can become a chore, so personally the quickest way I gear up is by queuing for both, at the same time, so when you come out of one the other queue instantly pops. also it's a good idea to still to the Isle of thunder and do the dailys, 500+ honor and some conquest for 10 minutes work isn't so bad, and on my server it's quiet enough so nobody bothers you (on the opposing faction)
    I agree with most of your points. #1 I agree with completely. #2 is luck based but it is true, it can definitely happen. #3 is true, but not as devastating with a group because you can generally steamroll through the dungeon and keep up the pace for the next dungeon. Alone it would be terrible. #4 will happen when queuing alone, how much or how little depends, it's really luck based like #2. #5 is subjective, but I personally agree that it's more fun as long as my team's working together and there isn't a premade running circles around us.

I definitely would agree to queue for both if you're solo queuing as a DPS or even a healer on a slow day. It can help speed up the amount of time you're putting towards getting honor and switching between the two will keep it less boring.

Deleted
    One thing that probably has not been mentioned yet is that by doing HCs, you get lot of gold as a side effect which comes handy once you start enchanting and gemming your stuff. Coz for some reason, even for BG win you get no money, so at some point you still have to go for HC grind. But I always try to do at least one win a day to get CP cap for the week.