Protection Paladin taking too much damage - requesting your kind assistance

Hey everyone,

I have been following this forum and this website for quite some time now, and i see good advice on a daily basis. i hope someone here will be able to enlighten me.

I play a protection paladin, with an ilevel of 534. 9 bosses down on normal. I go for haste obviously, with DPS trinkets from the last tier still.

my issue is that it seems i'm taking way more damage then the other tank on every fight. he plays a druid and has an ilevel of 541.
    my healers keep telling me this can't go on, and that they always focus just on me so i won't be killed while he can take so much more damage or stacks of anything pretty much then me.
    it's killing me because i can't seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong if at all. or is it that druids are just that good right now and paladins are not ?

recent example: Malkorok - i got to 13 stacks, then boom, one shot. he picks the boss up and carries it through 18-20 stacks until it's dead. how did he take so much damage?

i'm using eternal flame on CD so it's always on me. i save Sotr for when a bit hit is incoming for the 40% block chance, and i use all of my CD's whenever i can.

This is me: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Jackspeare/advanced
    This is the druid tank: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Tidria/advanced

and here are logs! to see exactly how much more i'm taking:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-d83l0xzpqbafczfi/

you can see on malkorok the difference.

now, it might just be that this is how paladins are right now, but it also baffles me how he can do twice the amount of DPS i'm doing. i'm at around 84 while he is doing 160k!!!!! how the heck can that be ?

i'm really frustrated by this, at the verge of declaring my paladin MIA.
    any advice or thoughts would be really welcomed.

thank you for reading and for commenting.

I don't know exactly what glyphs/talents you were using for the fight but for single target note you should be using, FS, FW and glyphed DP/WoG? If I'm slightly off I'm sure someone will correct me. Talents wise LaoTL is considered the most effective movespeed talent, (i guess this doesn't matter too much considering malkorok but LaoTL could be a lifesaver for other bosses). Should be using UbS here for the halved CD on DP. Tier 5 should be either DP or SW, both are stronger depending on haste levels/playstyle. Tier 6 a lot of the time you'll either want to use LH or HP, there aren't many fights where you'll want to use ES (at least imo/experience).

This may be one of the fights where SS pulls ahead of EF due to the absorb shield built into the fight, haven't personally tested or mucked around with it though since I've been doing fine on Malk just using EF

Over to logs your SoTR uptime seems kinda low, how often are you using EF? unless it's a panic situation you should only use it on 5 stack BoG to get the max HoT out of it. Could've used DP 4/5 times (8/10 with UbS), AD twice, I don't see GoTAK anywhere but maybe I'm just missing it atm.\

Anyway that's all I can come up with atm, I'm sure if I'm wrong on any points or missed anything someone else will bring it up.

Also in Future we have a [Prot] Fix my Tanking! Thread where these types of questions should be posted

15+ Year Old Account
    Most important part:
    Post here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Fix-my-Tanking!

Short version:
    your shield of the righteous uptime is horrible. I quick checked only the malkorok kill. <30%. that is bad.
    wrong talent choices (clemency is bad, execution sentence is even worse. holy avenger might also not be so good in this fight. try Unb. spirit, div. purpose and - especially in this fight - light's hammer.)
    wrong gemming: 99% of all socket bonus are not worth taking it. str or parry is nothing I would gem for. just go straight haste there. you have only 12k haste, with that ilvl you should be able to hit at least 16-17k, if not more. so it might be a general gearing issue. you have four items with base haste on it. so that's not really "obviously going for haste"

you will get more and most important, more detailed and better info if you post in the thread that I linked above.
    Last edited by xebtria; 2013-10-02 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garthvedar View Post
    Hey everyone,
    i'm really frustrated by this, at the verge of declaring my paladin MIA.
    any advice or thoughts would be really welcomed.
    thank you for reading and for commenting.
    I'm not amazing at reading logs, but it seems to me like your uptime on SoTR is simply just too low. Even if you're pooling holy power for hard hitting abilties your uptime needs to be at least, ... quadruple what im getting from your logs (11% is what i managed to dig up) at least. My uptime is anywhere from 40%+ and i frequently play like crap <.<'

Eternal flame isn't terrible for malkorok, as you can use a strong Eternal flame and its resulting ticks to help keep your sheild topped after a hard hit. However execution sentence is pointless, you'll get more use out of LH or HP, I love LH for this teir because it sort of makes up for our lack of really strong aoe threat.

Practice pushing the maximum amount of Holy power that you can manage, make sure you are using your fillers as much as possible, thats were your damage is coming from.

If you're tanking first on Malkorok you may want to roll into the fight with a cooldown popped just so your sheild is fully topped. As far as glyphs go, I use FS, AS and DP for most fights. it just feels good all around.

If you have any particular questions, fire me a PM i'd be happy to help.
    Amazing Signature by Yoni

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    especially in this fight - light's hammer
    Prism is still better outside of the stacked up phase so unless you're struggling really hard with the cleave might as well stick to prism.

WOW...just wow...
    thank you so much for helping me! i didn't even read through all of it yet, but the sheer detail and knowledge...thank you so much!
    I didn't know there's a "fix my tanking" sub forum. i guess i was so eager to post I went straight here. will fix that, and also will read whats in it.

OK, so let me read everything again and see where you think i went terribly wrong..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    wrong gemming: 99% of all socket bonus are not worth taking it. str or parry is nothing I would gem for. just go straight haste there. you have only 12k haste, with that ilvl you should be able to hit at least 16-17k, if not more. so it might be a general gearing issue. you have four items with base haste on it. so that's not really "obviously going for haste"
    just did some regemming, and it seems if i go for pute haste gems, i will lose a bit of stamina (roughly 12k) and will gain haste to the point where i have 13.6k
    is the difference going to make that much difference?

also, can anyone reference why a druid tank is doing twice my DPS ? is that the druid design? or am I doing something wrong on the DPS front as well ?

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by garthvedar View Post
    WOW...just wow...
    thank you so much for helping me! i didn't even read through all of it yet, but the sheer detail and knowledge...thank you so much!
    I didn't know there's a "fix my tanking" sub forum. i guess i was so eager to post I went straight here. will fix that, and also will read whats in it.

OK, so let me read everything again and see where you think i went terribly wrong..

- - - Updated - - -

just did some regemming, and it seems if i go for pute haste gems, i will lose a bit of stamina (roughly 12k) and will gain haste to the point where i have 13.6k
    is the difference going to make that much difference?

also, can anyone reference why a druid tank is doing twice my DPS ? is that the druid design? or am I doing something wrong on the DPS front as well ?

thank you.
    Yes, haste increases your active mitgation uptime because it lowers the CDs on your holy power generators. This will in turn increase your dps and reduce your damage taken. This is assuming your rotation is optimized and you're pushing out as many SoTR's as you can of course.
    Amazing Signature by Yoni

Changing your talents and Glyphs will help with the DPS a lil and survivability also. I wont go in to everything as most other posters here have already covered most of it.

Get Unbreakable spirit and Divine Purpose though. Consider ditching the Hand of Sacrifice glyph for now and put in Focused Shield for the extra firepower on it.

Also your uptime on ShoR is awful. That should be your go to holy power spender and you should ONLY be refreshing Eternal Flame when you have 3+ (preferably 5) stacks of Bastion of Glory AND your eternal flame is about to drop off (less than 5 seconds left on it).

Finally a note as to why you are likely taking a fair bit more dmg than the other tank. Don't underestimate the power of the Legendary Meta Gem. You not having a LMG where the other tank does makes up quite a bit of dmg reduction. I don't know where you are in the legendary questline but you really need to push to try and get it completed as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Oogly; 2013-10-02 at 08:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogly View Post
    Finally a note as to why you are likely taking a fair bit more dmg than the other tank. Don't underestimate the power of the Legendary Meta Gem. You not having a LMG where the other tank does makes up quite a bit of dmg reduction. I don't know where you are in the legendary questline but you really need to push to try and get it completed as soon as possible.
    totally missed that
    @OP
    better go and quest your way through isle of thunder so you can take it.

right now at the third week of capping valor. then ill be closer to the metagem... but im on it.

i'm going to do everything you just said! this is amazing, thank you so much for helping me out.

you.all.rock.

One final thing that might help you if you are not already using them is having tailored weak auras for your rotation and cooldowns tracking.

If you haven't got Weak Auras 2 addon I suggest you go to curse.com and download it. Then I highly suggest you visit Theck's blog site at sacred duty. He is one of the premier theorycrafters and stat analysts for paladins and has some premade weak aura setups you can just import in and use right off the bat.

Link to his weak aura sets below.

Www.sacredduty.net/weakauras-strings/

I would only worry about getting the prot priority row and the prot cooldowns row for now.
    Last edited by Oogly; 2013-10-02 at 09:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For help with tanking, please use the already existing Fix my Tanking! thread.

Closing.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!