• 10-15

114 14.75%
  • 15-20

67 8.67%
  • 20-25

32 4.14%
  • 25+

176 22.77%
  • Blizzard should remove 3rd party addons.

39 5.05%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Its out of control. They should leave in addons like bags, action bars, inventory, and stuff like that because players should be able to customize those things. But get rid of crap like DBM. If players are so damn terrible they need an addon to tell them to move out of the fire then they should just quit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Let's advance this discussion, because we all know what he is talking about.

clcret is the third most downloaded add-on for paladins.
    Care to explain why that makes people bad?
    A player that uses every tool he can get his hands on is, in my opinion, a better player than a person who doesn't.
    cause the addon is playing their character for them? if something is telling you when to use abilities and you dont have to think for yourself then it makes you bad.

Addons like clcret can improve your performance, but they also decrease your performance.
    If you must watch a little frame for every global cooldown, your raid awareness (what happens around you) sinks by a lot.

So this addons makes it easier for new retpaladins, but you don't use it after you have played some month. Can be that i see that wrong and would explain why so many people still "stand in fire".

10+ Year Old Account
    I got quite a few addons even though I am not a fan of them in general terms. A bare bone WoW runs the smoothest, in my experience.
    Every time Blizzard makes improvements, and integrates functionality from successful addons, I'm happily throwing that addon out.

The addons I have and use on all toons are:

APC - changing addon sets on the fly is just an extremely valuable convenience.

Bagnon - the bags handling in the default UI is just very inconvenient.
    Postal - as with the bags, the default mailing UI is lackluster too
    Auctioneer - same said again about the default UI
    TomTom - the waypoint arrow is priceless imo
    Paste - I love this one, since it bypasses the copy paste limitations of macros
    Quartz - properly set up, it's unbeatable in my opinion.
    NTK - Need to Know, I use for a long time, and I love it for it's versatility
    Pet Journal Enhanced - what the name says, enhances the default journal greatly.

Complimentary addons I use on various, but not every toon:

Recount - Only toons I take into raids use it. Otherwise it's a waste of resources
    Healbot - Obviously I use it for healer toons, I also use it on my pally tank for protective spells on party members.
    Guild2Guild - Using that on toons that are part of meta guilds. it broadcasts the guild chats of different guilds into one guild chat. Very nifty addon.
    NPC Scan - Well, self explanatory
    Silver Dragon - Same as above. Gotta track those rares across Azeroth. Unlike NPC Scan, SD has them all, even the lowbie zone rares.
    Raid Achievement - It helps to keep track on dungeon achievement attempt in 5 mans and raids while they are under way.
    Range Display - that one I could completely disable, since I basically just used it when I soloed the Whale Shark in Vashijr.
    DBM - Well, that's also obvious
    GTFO - As mentioned before, with all the spell effects it's sometimes really hard to tell what's beneath ones feet.
    ReforgeLite - Convenience pure
    QuestHubber - Helps greatly with displaying every single quest in any zone on the zone map via ! if you haven't done it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

And what part of the original UI makes it the worst MMO-UI out there atm?
    8 million people with probably around a million different UI's. It's called customization!
    Look at Runescape, arguably inferior combat etc to wow. But its new UI? Much better...

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Sorry, but being able to customise your game to suit your needs is the sign of a good developer.

It would be impossible to develop a User Interface that keeps everyone happy, so why not develop a basic version that operates smoothly, and then let people bolt on whatever they like to make it suit their personal needs?

How is that bad at all?

Oh, and by the way. Before you spew something like; "Oh, but they COULD make a better U.I.", I suggest you actually study Game Technology & Development, as it really isn't as simple as it sounds.
    I'm not making any assumptions. I've asked Holinka himself and it's not because they can't (seriously you don't think Blizzard can?) it's because addons do it for them...
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2013-10-05 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Fixed who I asked
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I usually use DBM, altoholic, recount and Atlasloot, but have been considering ditching atlasloot as it almost never works for me anymore, always crashing when I open it.

Largely convenience, but I don't feel like I need recount. It is nice to know if I'm for some reason performing poorly and then adjusting, experimenting, etc. But I don't really care how others are doing, I leave that to my raidleader tbh.

DBM I honestly don't feel like I need much anymore, the blizzard raid warnings seem plenty fine, and I don't need a huge yell of DESTRUCTION to tell me the boss is casting "the big bad kill people spell" when I can clearly see his castbar myself.

Altoholic is probably the one addon I would be hard pressed without, since I have many alts across 2 accounts and a 7 tab guild bank full of random stuff I gather here and there.

I've been raiding since the days of MC, sometimes more than others, and I've always just used the standard UI.
    It has gotten so much better these days, I don't see why I should need more than what it has.
    But then, I don't play a healer anymore (not since Wrath). I can understand healers might it makes their lives easier.
    As prot or arms warrior, elemental shaman, combat rogue, frost dk, BM hunter or shadow priest I have never felt like I was missing out.
    Neither in raids, arena or general soloing.

Tbh I think alot of it just has to do with what you're used to. My gf has used the same UI addons for like 6 years. Eventually changing to anything, even something better, becomes incredibly tedious, and one might not feel like it is worth it.
    Likewise, someone who has been using addons for everything under the sun is then used to having all that convenience, and for them playing the standard ui might feel like riding a bike with square wheels.
    I think habits play a much larger role than alot of people expect.

I also think people should feel free to use whatever Blizzard allows them to. Free customization like we've seen for years, has paved the way for awesome addons that then became awesome additions to the blizzard UI for those of us who would otherwise never see it.

I really feel it is the best of both worlds. See someone use something you want also? Go ahead and use it, noone's stopping you.
    Don't want to bother with looking into what is great and what isn't? Given enough time, the most convenient things will eventually be provided for you.
    I don't see why anyone could be bothered by what addons others use and don't use. Unless it's like, someone refusing to use a particular addon you require for your particular raiding or arena or whatever. Then it is just their loss I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Merador View Post
    Addons like clcret can improve your performance, but they also decrease your performance.
    If you must watch a little frame for every global cooldown, your raid awareness (what happens around you) sinks by a lot.
    It's much improved over watching three or four different locations all the time, simultaneously, none of which is in the center of the screen where you ought to be looking. Ret Paladins don't HAVE a "rotation." They have a bunch of irregular, clashing cooldowns with a strict priority. Most people need an addon for this because they're not fucking Rainman.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

I'm using 100+ addons. Don't know exact number cause Curse client counts every single module of addons like Altoholic.

In my opinion any game (obviously genre limited statement) that does not allow player customisation will not have much success and if it has it won't have longevity.
    I like the game to feel mine, my environment to be familiar and non-limiting to my personal playstyle. To be able to bypass or enhance any frustrating UI element.

Quote Originally Posted by Danmakus View Post
    would like a addon or macro to randomize the mounts i mount.. and one to spawn one of my companion pets at random.
    Late reply to this poster, but seems nobody knows these...
    Random mount (flyable if possible), copy and paste as 1 line:
    /run local m,t,f="mount",{{},{}} for i=1,GetNumCompanions(m) do tinsert(t[bit.band(2,select(6,GetCompanionInfo(m,i)))==0 and 1 or 2],i) end f=IsFlyableArea() and 2 or 1 CallCompanion(m,t[f][random(#t[f])])

random pets:
    /summonpet [button:2] Argent Gruntling
    /stopmacro [button:2]
    /randomfavoritepet [button:3]
    /stopmacro [button:3]
    /randompet

yes, there is a macro command to randompet & randomfavoritepet. too bad there isn't one for mounts ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a healer and I only use dbm [and skada] for raiding purpose. Used weakauras on some dd-alts though.
    Apart from that, I use Titan and Outfitter, sometimes Archy when doing archaeology.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojumonkey View Post
    I'm just gonna state the obvious here. If you have played with ElvUI then going back to default UI is not an option. Period. It is literally (yes literally) game changing. An entirely new and much more enjoyable experience with ElvUI compared to without it.
    I once tried ElvUI, had it set up and everything. I hated it, and went back to bartender only.
    Now I'm just going to state the "obvious" here. ElvUI sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    I once tried ElvUI, had it set up and everything. I hated it, and went back to bartender only.
    Now I'm just going to state the "obvious" here. ElvUI sucks.
    Maybe in your opinion, but many disagree. People say the default UI sucks, yet it worked fine for me.

I've never used ElvUI, but it's very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Maybe in your opinion, but many disagree. People say the default UI sucks, yet it worked fine for me.

I've never used ElvUI, but it's very popular.
    Just like many disagree that it's a good UI addon.

The guy I quoted was "stating the obvious", implying everybody who tried ElvUI would never go back. I proved him wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

....used to increase raid awareness.
    I agree on that point, but i felt that addons that show "click this or that" do the opposite.

No, "pro-paladins" still use it since the class has so many cooldowns and abilities to watch that it is near impossible to have 'raid awareness' while doing optimal damage.
    That was news to me, because i don't play retpaladin. The last time i had one, it was not a problem (too long ago to speak about the situation now). Thanks for the clarification, now i'm going to level one, because i like such priority damage systems

10+ Year Old Account

How I imagine someone with a million addons.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfstan View Post
    How I imagine someone with a million addons.
    I've seen interfaces that look like this... But you can build an nice looking interface with lots of space. For example an old interface of mine.

There are a lot of addons used for this, but most act in the background or pop up if i need them.
    Haven't played my priest in this addon, so i can't take a new screenshot.
    Last edited by Merador; 2013-10-05 at 01:49 PM.

Deleted
    my only really required addons is Dominos, for all the rest the game UI does a good enough job

- - - Updated - - -

Nice minimalist UI there Merador, I would like to see how it is in a raid

10+ Year Old Account
    If they should remove anything they should remove the ability to click your main abilities on the screen to force people to keybind. Of course they'd never do that at this point but if they did it from the beginning the game would be much better off now and we'd all have a much easier time in PuGs and LFR. There probably wouldn't be many millionaires in this game if it wasn't for addons. They do literally all the work once you set them up correctly.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    I play healer usually and I still use the default UI, with party set to use raid frames, class colours on etc. A couple of years ago I would use Grid but there's no point now that the default UI does pretty much the same thing showing incoming heals and all that stuff, the only thing I would like as a disc priest is to see absorbs a bit more clearly at 100% hp, can't tell if a player has 1 absorb or 250,000. Honestly the greatest benefit to having few addons is just the simplicity of never encountering issues with them, I've got friends who use a bunch and they encounter problems at quite critical times and have to fix them.

A good example would be that I used to use the Razer Naga addon, which was kind of like Bartender but set in the numpad format, having set that up on 10 of my high level chars at the time only to find out one day that the addon will no longer be supported, it took at least two hours to rebind and remap most of my keys on both specs on all chars and it really wasn't worth it for what probably amounts to 5% more view-able screen.

I may have gone heavy on UI addons if I had fewer chars, I switch very regularly and it requires a lot of reconfiguration and becomes not worth it.

Edit: My primary addons are DBMSpellTimers, Recount, Atlasloot and REFlex (BG stat tracker).
    Last edited by mmoca0dbd288a6; 2013-10-05 at 02:15 PM.

I currently have 92 addons installed according to my Curse client. Granted, a good number of those are modules and such required by other addons (Datastore for Altoholic, for example).

Honestly, I don't relate player skill to number of addons at all, and it seems silly to me to do so. Many addons are simply for convenience sake, and the ones that do add some sort of performance enhancement generally aren't miracles. If an addon tells you to move out of fire, it's still up to the player how fast they react to it. And addons that tell you to press so-and-so button at so-and-so time (SpellFlash and the like) aren't perfect, and in a lot of cases they're more of a loose guideline than anything, still requiring the player to make the judgment on whether or not what it's suggesting is truly the best thing to do at that point in the battle. "Should I really use that flashing interrupt skill to interrupt this enemy ability that will do 15,000 damage, or should I save it for the ability he may use soon that will do 300,000 damage?" Any player who is actually trying should know the answer to that, regardless of what the addon is telling them. Despite how some will try to make it sound, those types of addons don't "play the game for you."

As for the person the OP refers to: I can understand not being able to raid without his UI, and the lack of WeakAuras would certainly harm the performance of someone who is used to having that visual information, but I'm not sure why meters would be relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use about 50 addons, most of which are for aesthetics. Would I be able to function with just 3 addons? Yes. Would I enjoy playing with just those? HELL NO.