Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

All champions free vs weekly rotation

Hello everyone. I recently started playing DoTA, and been playing dota and LoL just for a change. And I started thinking, what is really the best system for champions? Should they be all free like in DoTA? Should there be a weekly rotation of free champs like LoL? Here are my opinions, and I'd like to hear yours as well :

I personally like having to earn my champions and having the ones I like and I'm good at, but I really hate the fact that some of them cost so much. I've played LoL on and off since beta, so I don't have too much trouble, but what happens when one is new to LoL? How does one person learn the champions when there are only 10/115 champs free every week? And even if you like a champion, it might cost you 6300 IP, which IMO is way too much.

I would love it if the LoL system was something like, 15-20 free champs a week, and all champs costed 1500-4000 IP or something like that. I hate how they put different prices on champions like the cheap champions are terrible or something. Also, asides from spending a bunch of IP on the champs you like, there's the fact that you should be buying runes as well, which basically makes you decide between having more champs, or having a little advantage over other people in game.

What do you guys think?

I'm an embarrassingly casual League player as well, but I enjoy "saving up" for champion purchases. I'm really fine with the IP system as it is, I think.

However, I'd say that, with the larger and growing roster of champions, I'd like to see a slightly large pool available each week.

The system is fine. Let DOTA2 be DOTA2, and LoL be LoL.

You could play 2-3 games a day and save up for a new champion in two weeks or so. You don't need everything you want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    The system is fine. Let DOTA2 be DOTA2, and LoL be LoL.

You could play 2-3 games a day and save up for a new champion in two weeks or so. You don't need everything you want all the time.
    Yeah but what happens when a new player starts playing?. How are they supossed to learn all/most of the champions, when most of them cost 4800-6300ip? Asides from, again, having to buy champs, runes and the low ip rate gain for each win, at least imo. I'm fine with the game as it is because I have most of the champs I like, and my runes, but I feel that, for new player it can be a pain. Not really saying the DOTA system is better or anything

Quote Originally Posted by jemd13 View Post
    Yeah but what happens when a new player starts playing?.
    If they like the game, they will play it, if not, they won't.

How are they supossed to learn all/most of the champions, when most of them cost 4800-6300ip?
    If they want more, they can buy them. 4800-6300 isn;t even that much. Not to mention how many cost less than that.
    Asides from, again, having to buy champs, runes and the low ip rate gain for each win, at least imo. I'm fine with the game as it is because I have most of the champs I like, and my runes, but I feel that, for new player it can be a pain. Not really saying the DOTA system is better or anything
    New players will join if they like the game. Its not as if Riot is having problems with people playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    After playing both I can safely say that theres almost no benefit to creating a champion barrier. Its not ever going to be a fair game until they make all champions and runes free.
    False. Its not unfair in LoL. You can work towards more IP if you want. No one is getting more than you, or treated better. Its 100% fair.

That makes no sense Tommo, you do not in any way require every champion to play competitively. Yes viable rune pages make a difference but assuming you do not waste your IP you can easily have three basic pages by the time you are 30.

ofc dota system > lol system (about heros

is better to have all the champions free. but oh well that's how LoL gets money and rewards veterans too.. so well it's fine I guess :v LoL has grind ( a lot..) and dota has 0 grind.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

No its not, yes all things are avaliable to players equally, but its just one big damn grind. You cant ever compete on a fair level until you have all champions and runes. Which a vast amount of people under diamond, do not have. Infact after almost 700 normal wins on my account im not even close to having a reasonable amount of runes or all the champions, not even counting rune pages.

Forcing people to play an absurd amount of games to be on a level playing field isnt a good thing, if you dont feel like spending thousands of hours grinding for max stuff then your always at an unfair disadvantage. And dont even try to tell me thats a good thing, its a complete design flaw.
    Nothing at all you said is even close to being true.

The vast majority of players aren't even close to diamond, so instead of worrying about competing with diamond players, you should worry about getting better, and not owning every champion - the vast majority of which you will not play-.

Again, this doesn't make the design "unfair." Its 100% fair. You can gain runes at the exactly the same rate as every one else, hence FAIRNESS.

If you don't like League system, please, by all means, don't play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    ofc dota system > lol system (about heros

is better to have all the champions free. but oh well that's how LoL gets money and rewards veterans too.. so well it's fine I guess :v LoL has grind ( a lot..) and dota has 0 grind.
    Its not really a grind. The only real grind is playing to get to level 30. You can still play as much as you want from the start. Its not like WoWs Ilvl grind, where you have to keep getting slightly better gear just to be allowed into the newest LFR, for instance. You can hit 30, buy runes and jump right into ranked.

ITT: LoL players trying to justify the time they spent on LoL by defending the practices of a company notorious for ruining games by overjewing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    ITT: LoL players trying to justify the time they spent on LoL by defending the practices of a company notorious for ruining games by overjewing them.
    Nahhh. If you don't like the game, don't play. problem solved.

IN THIS POST I JUST QUOTED: Someone whining because they want stuff for free!

How is Riot "notorious" for "overjewing" games?

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    haha you don't say

LoL is a good game but it has grind which ruins it for new players.. lvl 30 vs lvl 1 it's unfair because it has bullshit like runes and stuff, in other mobas (or most of them) u can do 1v1 and it's all about skill.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    haha you don't say

LoL is a good game but it has grind which ruins it for new players.. lvl 30 vs lvl 1 it's unfair because it has bullshit like runes and stuff, in other mobas (or most of them) u can do 1v1 and it's all about skill.
    You likely won't ever face a level 30 as a level 1. This argument is invalid.

God have you ever tried an argument or is it all just dismissive gtfo's with you? "dont like it dont play" yeah good job there mate, thats how games improve.

I do ranked occasionally and im gold, its managable with my limited supply of heroes and runes, yet when teammates ask me to pick for them I sometimes cant, or if I need to play a counter hero I need to pray that I have it. Its fair in the sense that everyone has the ability to grind all this crap, but its not fair to anyone that is genuinly good and cant spend endless days and nights on freaking league.

I really need to know this, but are you genuinly happy with having to buy a metric ton of crap from LoL, instead of just getting it for free, or are you just defending your game?
    I'm very very very happy with LoL and Riot games. I'm fine with working to get things in a game that already gives me the exact same options, and exact same potential as everyone else.

Yes, LoL is 100% fair to everyone else. The "i invest less time but want the same rewards" argument is a fallacy. The game is still 100% fair, as it treats you EXACTLY the same as anyone else.

I used plenty of argument and debate points in my last post you quoted, but yes, I ended with a "don't play if you don't like it," because thats a fair point. If you feel you are only grinding all the time in a game, its not the game for you.

I personally dislike that champions that are not actually that different (at the end of the day, a lot of ADC's are very, very similar for example) can have such wide gulfs in price. I find LoL's system to be pretty workable to be honest, however, I would probably prefer a system where every champion is free.

Actually, I have a better idea. How about we do away completely with weekly free rotations, and have no champions be free ever, but have a seperate mode (co-op versus ai only or custom matches) in which all champions are totally free. You could play and try them to your hearts content with friends or versus bots, but have to buy them to use them in normals or ranked.

The reason I suggest this is because I very much dislike the system whereby I have to wait, potentially for months, for a champion I'm interested in to go on free, upon which I can finally try them. Sure, I could buy them, but I've made purchases before on champions I havn't tried which I've really regretted. And sometimes I miss them; I recently took 2 weeks off LoL, during which Cassiopeia and Trundle, both champions which I have been waiting to see on free for ages, where on. Now I have to wait a great deal longer to try.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    I personally dislike that champions that are not actually that different (at the end of the day, a lot of ADC's are very, very similar for example) can have such wide gulfs in price. I find LoL's system to be pretty workable to be honest, however, I would probably prefer a system where every champion is free.

Actually, I have a better idea. How about we do away completely with weekly free rotations, and have no champions be free ever, but have a seperate mode (co-op versus ai only or custom matches) in which all champions are totally free. You could play and try them to your hearts content with friends or versus bots, but have to buy them to use them in normals or ranked.

The reason I suggest this is because I very much dislike the system whereby I have to wait, potentially for months, for a champion I'm interested in to go on free, upon which I can finally try them. Sure, I could buy them, but I've made purchases before on champions I havn't tried which I've really regretted. And sometimes I miss them; I recently took 2 weeks off LoL, during which Cassiopeia and Trundle, both champions which I have been waiting to see on free for ages, where on. Now I have to wait a great deal longer to try.
    Hey man, I would suggest using the PBE (Public Beta Environment) server to your hearts content. Its basically what you mentioned you wanted. After playing 1 game, you are giving large amounts of IP/RP to buy whatever you want, every week. They do this to give incentives for players to use the beta and test/debug things. I just recently played a match to try the newest champion that hasn't come out yet. I also played a few games as Garen because he is getting a visual update. Its free and pretty cool.

Beware though, many people just don't care on that server though. People sometimes quit or troll, because the tribunal doesn't punish the PBE as far as I know.

Deleted
    I don't mind the IP system, however I'd like to see runes being removed, they only cause trouble for balancing and they cost TONS of IP, so I'd like runes being removed, or an increased IP/game system.

Deleted
    I haven't played LoL in like 4 months (but I still follow the E-sport scene). My account never managed to hit lvl 30 (lvl 27 or 28 I think after playing for 6 months). I didn't spend more than 7-8k IP on champions because I had to get all those stupidly expensive runes. I honestly don't mind having to buy champions, because I could simply buy them with RP (I think I bought like 10 of the 975 champions with RP), but the rune system was still a complete joke. Reminded me of WoW and having to farm BGs and Arenas for best gear, just much much worse implemented.

I don't think I'm ever going to play LoL again. I will continue to watch the E-sport scene because it is so god damn entertaining, but the rune, level up and not being able to try unknown champions system was really a turn off for me. I think at least ARAM and Dominion should allow one to try all different champions. With that said. I really loved playing Dominion, but after ARAM got implemented the queues for Dominion became pretty absurd (30+ min).

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You likely won't ever face a level 30 as a level 1. This argument is invalid.
    A little late here. But if my friend who is level 1 wants to play with me and my other friends who are lvl30, I am pretty sure that the lvl1 is going to have to face AT LEAST a lvl20. Of course, if all your friends are level 1, or you're playing alone, then yeah, a lvl1 wont face a lvl30, but still, it is an advantage. Same as the fact that the new player doesn't know the champions because he isn't able to play them, therefore, the person with more knowledge about the game, say, the level20 is going to have advantage.

Again, I'm not saying I want all champions free in LoL, but I would like to see the prices lowered, or getting more IP per match, you can't just dismiss the argument because "it's invalid" x__x. I can be fine with runes, since in the end, skill > runes, but they DO give some advantage, specially at the beginning of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jemd13 View Post
    A little late here. But if my friend who is level 1 wants to play with me and my other friends who are lvl30, I am pretty sure that the lvl1 is going to have to face AT LEAST a lvl20. Of course, if all your friends are level 1, or you're playing alone, then yeah, a lvl1 wont face a lvl30, but still, it is an advantage. Same as the fact that the new player doesn't know the champions because he isn't able to play them, therefore, the person with more knowledge about the game, say, the level20 is going to have advantage.

Again, I'm not saying I want all champions free in LoL, but I would like to see the prices lowered, or getting more IP per match, you can't just dismiss the argument because "it's invalid" x__x. I can be fine with runes, since in the end, skill > runes, but they DO give some advantage, specially at the beginning of the game.
    So, someone has an advantage because they play more? Sorry, but having all champions free wouldn't make that level 1 suddenly understand their mechanics. Thats a ridiculous and invalid argument.

I can very much dismiss it, because it doesn't make sense! You are complaining that someone that has played more than a level 1 would understand the game better! There is no way around that!

And the part you quoted, is still correct. Even if you queue up with your level 1 friend, he is VERY unlikely to see a level 30. If you are really worried about this, reroll a new account and RAF yourself, and level with him. WHen he gets higher, you can switch to your main.

Problem solved.