Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Some people are so narrow-minded.

This expansion released shitloads of content for mains, because that's what people are always complaining about on the forums, the obvious side effect is that you don't have much free time for alts. And there's content that requires long time investment which is obviously harder to do on multiple toons.

That said, this expansion also introduced increased VP for alts after the cap (I think it could be a little better implemented but still) and rep commendations. And the cape is not mandatory for all your alts, plus if you start now you get massively accelerated through the earlier stages. It's fun to progress the legendary again on your alt, personally I think it'd be lame if it was simply BoA. It takes a fraction of the time it took originally, so it's not so big a burden.

So yes alts are a bit harder to manage than in late DS/late ICC etc where you had shitloads of free time. I expect it'll become easier as SoO drags on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

When they give us things to do in game for our mains, it should not be dubbed as "alt killer"

I think the OP has a different view on what Alts are for

It appears they view alts as just an extension of their main toon...one that is never played but just gives you all the professions

Blizzard don't want this to be the aim for alts...they realise that there are issues with how professions are done but have said before that they don't like it that the only reason some alts are created is to have access to a different profession

And as many people have pointed out this expansion has gotten more and more alt friendly as it has gone along

I agree with the title, not necessarily with the arguments.

Initially it was bad because you had to do so much on your main just to keep them current it didn't leave much time for alts.

The short leveling is another reason. I get why people may question this but my reason here is that when you hit 90 almost no time has passed and level 85 is still fresh in your head, if you were to start leveling up another 85 alt it is boring as hell because you literally just did it. In wrath the leveling experience was long enough that you didn't really have that problem, cata was slightly better than MoP but also extremely short. Also because you aren't really playing the alt for very long to level it.

The timeless isle was arguably to help the alt problem but it just made it worse. Now it isn't that you don't have time to play your alts, it is that you don't need to, you can gear them up without touching them.

Somehow I can't help think that Blizzard feels that people don't like playing their alts, which may be true for some people but a fair number of people actually like to play their alts and taking away the time to play them or the reason isn't helping them.

All the free 496 junk in the world doensnt amount to shit when you're dead weight without any of the legendary perks. The cloaks should be account wide, end of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 12 90's.............now what?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    I have 12 90's.............now what?
    I'm going for 1 of each class, both factions. I've also got about 12 at the moment. So 10 more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Nonsense. This expansion has been the most altfriendly yet.

Mists of Pandaria introduced first legendary that has been added to the game that you could have even the chance of obtaining on your alts, and you're complaining that it wasn't easy enough to get on your alts? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    And you just
    proved you are new to the game. I played the game since mid-TBC. I eventually ended up with a huge enterprise that has drained the whole realm of its gold, so trust me when I say they hit at alts with Mop's launch.
    "I'm not in the money business. I'm in the empire business". W. W.

Yeah they're really going after alts this expansion, especially with adding in Timeless Isle.

Not like its super easy to gear up with that or anything.

I wouldn't say "Kill" alts since that's a LARGE part of peoples replay value . Though it did makes alts kind of annoying.
    Tier 14 - Better do those dailies again daily on all your toons or enjoy blues and LFR for a while.
    Tier 15 - Made alts better for the most part. Still had to keep doing LFR constantly though.
    5.3 - Hscen were a good addition (I believe they were added in 5.3?)
    T15 - A hell of a lot faster to gear up, run around in circles for a few hours. Go in as a fresh 90 and come out in Ilvl 500. It was kinda boring. But then you got FLEX(Thank god) which is so much more enjoyable than doing LFR ONLY. Keep in mind that's if you run with a decent or make a decent Flex group I've seen some that've been worse than an LFR on Monday night.

Anyways I think 5.4 made gearing alts a lot better. I like the idea of the timeless isle, but it's just so damn boring. I hate to say it, but I miss the Token system (ToC/ICC one) for alts. I really dislike having to use LFR as a means to gear up. I don't HATE LFR, I understand it's there for people who just want to dip in and out of a raid which is great. I just hated how it became part of the gear progression (Kind of went away during 5.4, but not fully). I'd much rather see Flex take LFRs spot for the "Easier" gear stepping stone raid and LFR be their for the people it was ment for in my eyes. Also for the love of god can dailies never be part of the gear progression again. I don't mind it for enchants/mount/patterns/other things. In the end this is all my opinion I'll live with whatever Blizzard decides to do in the future.

First with the auction house nerfs with having to farm on a main to get the best items, then with the cloak, it's all obvious that they have explicitly targeted the destruction of the value of having many alts.

Now this has advantages since sometimes you felt it obligatory to have alts to compete with others, especially in making gold or competing in the most hard core guilds with the highest variety of personally controlled characters though it has a small disadvantage (albeit it is indeed probably lesser than the advantage) that sometimes it did make sense to have alts with fun without being forced.
    1. The cloak is a legendary. The fact that everyone can get it on one toon is bad enough. The idea that you're complaining that you can't have it on all of your toons is a disturbing example of why Blizzard should have left legendaries for hard-core players.
    2. You can obtain a full set of ilvl 496 gear "tokens" by doing the Time-Lost Isle. Those tokens can be mailed to any one of your characters and will set them up for the SoO LFR as soon as they hit 90, completely bypassing every other raid in this expansion and the "gearing" process.

You can level 1-90 AND be in SoO LFR in under two weeks. And that's playing casually.

If that's still too hard then you shouldn't be playing alts...or even this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    When they give us things to do in game for our mains, it should not be dubbed as "alt killer"
    the only thing ive felt inclined to do now that i didnt feel inclined to do before are dailies

This expansion has been the most altfriendly yet.
    really?

i remember gearing up in 5 mans that took maybe half an hour with moderate queue times

now we have lfr which you cant run over and over again for gear with wait and completion times that are twice as long if not four to five times as long. where the hell did you get that idea? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    All the free 496 junk in the world doensnt amount to shit when you're dead weight without any of the legendary perks. The cloaks should be account wide, end of story.
    Welfare Legendary?

To my knowledge the only thing a casual player might need the legendary cloak for is Ordos. If you consider yourself more than casual then you should stop complaining and get to work.

I'm going to call it now...one, maybe two expansions, and Legendaries will be handed out like epics are now because of self-entitled babies that think their owed just because they leveled another toon.

First with the auction house nerfs with having to farm on a main to get the best items, then with the cloak, it's all obvious that they have explicitly targeted the destruction of the value of having many alts.
    Lol? It is stupidly easy to max out pretty much every profession (with the possible exception of Engineering) without touching ANY Spirits of harmony. It just takes a bit of time. All professions learn their Daily cooldown at around 570 ish skill, so just log your alt on and do a daily cooldown for a month. Not exactly hard.

Also, I really hate to break it to you, but the legendary cloak is a TERRIBLE example of prejudice against alts. Sure, it takes about 3 months to get one, which makes it a bit harsh on anyone just starting an alt NOW, but if you started any of your alts near the beginning of the expantion, and did lfr with them regularly, you should easily be cought up. I mean, hell, i just recently got my FOURTH legendary cloak (for my rogue), and I never did anything more then run LFR each week (and that was only usually after i had cought my main up to current progression on the questline).

If all you want your alt for is quick and dirty access to a profession as fast as possible, sure, they might have crimped that, but that is not really what an "alt" is for. Blizzard actually wants you to (gasp) PLAY your alts. Imagine that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm going for 1 of each class, both factions. I've also got about 12 at the moment. So 10 more!
    I have 1 of every class except a rogue to 90, I have 2 priests at 90 and 2 warlocks at 90 as well, working on my 2nd warrior who is at 86
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

5.1:
    - Grand Commendations are now available for purchase from all Mists of Pandaria faction vendors at Revered reputation. Using a Grand Commendation will permanently increase the amount of reputation gained with that faction across all characters on a Battle.net account. makes it quicker to get required rep for gear -> Valor/badge was given without any reputation bullshit in the past

5.2:
    - Heroes fortunate enough to acquire a “Key to the Palace of Lei Shen” can bring it to the Shado-Pan on the Isle of Thunder and use it to infiltrate the fabled treasure vaults of the first emperor. Heroes are tasked with grabbing as much loot as they can within five minutes. Larger chests will have the most loot, including special keys that can be used at the end of the run for a chance at epic gear and other major rewards. Keys are awarded from rare bosses, hidden chests around the island, and from award satchels obtained by completing daily quests. give masses of golden charms for bonus rolls in lfr -> Which is way worse and horrible once per week loot compared to past heroic dungeons which was faster, and had no limits, and gave better loot

- Nalak, the Storm Lord
    After the Isle of Thunder has been conquered, the gate guardian of the Thunder King's citadel will appear: Nalak, the Storm Lord. Players will frequently have the opportunity to test their mettle against him.
    Oondasta
    Found in a place that has been lost in time, the great devilsaur lord Oondasta has been outfitted for battle with weaponry and armor by the Zandalari, and awaits players brave enough (or foolhardy enough) to seek him out on the mysterious Isle of Giants found in the seas north of Kun-Lai Summit.
    free epics for hitting a big bad boss -> Free loot bosses were there before (archavon/baradin)

- All world bosses (Sha of Anger, Galleon, Nalak the Storm Lord, and Oondasta) are now Tap to Faction. This new system offers every eligible player of the same faction that engages a boss the chance to earn loot. Under the new system, players will only be able to earn loot from each world boss once per week. removed group requirement, making it far easier to tap for loot -> So what? still once per week. Nothing changes.

- Zandalari forces have begun scouting the shores of Pandaria, searching for the perfect invasion point. The Zandalari can be found in Krasarang Wilds, Dread Wastes, Townlong Steppes, Jade Forest, and Kun-Lai Summit. Zandalari Scouts can be handled by 1 or 2 players, while elite Zandalari Warbringers will likely require a full party of 5 heroes. Defeat Warbringers to gain special drops, including crafting materials, reputation gains, an achievement, and even the chance to get one of three new rare mounts! free rep for alts -> Which gives completely useless loot that requires valor point, which no sane minded person would spend on items a tier behind when 522 valor stuff was there

- Level capped players will now have a chance to earn Lesser Charms of Good Fortune after winning a pet battle versus a pet within 5 levels of the highest level pet on their team. Higher-level pets will offer a better chance to earn a charm.
    - Winning a pet battle versus a team within 5 levels of the player's highest-level pet will now award player experience. lesser charms and exp -> Bonus rolls <<<<<<< Heroic dungeons

- The maximum number of Elder Charms of Good Fortune a character can hold has been increased to 20 (was 10). more rolls -> Still way inferior compared to heroic dungeons

- The chance of getting personal loot in Raid Finder and the chance of a successful bonus roll in Raid Finder have been greatly increased for the following raids, Mogu'shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring. more chance for epix -> Same as above

- Heroic Pandaria dungeons now award 100 Justice Points per boss. Gold drops for those bosses have also been changed from a static 50 gold to a 40-60 gold range. Less gold will drop in groups consisting of fewer than 5 players. quicker jp -> Which was completely useless throughout entire expansion since day 1 of launch.

Plus more, can't be arsed trawling patch 5.3 notes, but it added battlefield barrens for more easy (one a week) epics, as well as the exp nerf to leveling, quicker/higher drop raste of legendary quest items, the elite alliance (and horde) mobs for legendary quest chain got massively nerfed, the 6k VP quest got halved. -> 5.3 loot was rubbish, noooone used or did it. Legendary still takes stupidly long, months to even get something that could be used (meta)

What part of alts has been killed? -> Pretty much everything about this expansion was extremely alt unfriendly compared to before. Even to this date. Only thing that was remotely alt friendly was heroic scenarios, and it still is miles inferior compared to heroic dungeons in the past
    Last edited by PrairieChicken; 2013-10-03 at 03:26 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    I wouldn't say "Kill" alts since that's a LARGE part of peoples replay value . Though it did makes alts kind of annoying.
    Tier 14 - Better do those dailies again daily on all your toons or enjoy blues and LFR for a while.
    Tier 15 - Made alts better for the most part. Still had to keep doing LFR constantly though.
    5.3 - Hscen were a good addition (I believe they were added in 5.3?)
    T15 - A hell of a lot faster to gear up, run around in circles for a few hours. Go in as a fresh 90 and come out in Ilvl 500. It was kinda boring. But then you got FLEX(Thank god) which is so much more enjoyable than doing LFR ONLY. Keep in mind that's if you run with a decent or make a decent Flex group I've seen some that've been worse than an LFR on Monday night.

Anyways I think 5.4 made gearing alts a lot better. I like the idea of the timeless isle, but it's just so damn boring. I hate to say it, but I miss the Token system (ToC/ICC one) for alts. I really dislike having to use LFR as a means to gear up. I don't HATE LFR, I understand it's there for people who just want to dip in and out of a raid which is great. I just hated how it became part of the gear progression (Kind of went away during 5.4, but not fully). I'd much rather see Flex take LFRs spot for the "Easier" gear stepping stone raid and LFR be their for the people it was ment for in my eyes. Also for the love of god can dailies never be part of the gear progression again. I don't mind it for enchants/mount/patterns/other things. In the end this is all my opinion I'll live with whatever Blizzard decides to do in the future.
    I'd say Timeless Isle is a good concept. Going around in circles honestly to me is better than "kill this Mogu every day for the next month."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    1. The cloak is a legendary. The fact that everyone can get it on one toon is bad enough. The idea that you're complaining that you can't have it on all of your toons is a disturbing example of why Blizzard should have left legendaries for hard-core players.
    I am going to have to say that I completely disagree with you on that. Oh, I understand a bit where you are coming from, but it is all wrong. Legendaries available to Everybody is a good thing. They just might need to make the individual skill component a bit more strict / with more personal skill checks inbetween stages.

See, the problem with the previous legendaries is that they were never a "personal" reward.

We have seen many iterations on the legendary delivery method:
    - We had random low drop rate legendaries. There is nothing "hard core" about these. These were simply bonus "group" rewards for raiding. Nobody soloed Rag / Illidan / bossx as current content for their legendary drop, and then the payoff was usually more about who had their lips planted most firmly on the Raid / Guild Leaders butt. One special snowflake got their Sulfuras or Glaives, the rest of the guild / raid got jack shit for their part in it.

- Then we had "longass questline" legendaries. Hooray for running the same raid over and over and over and over again, with a few special skill checks thrown in for the "chosen one". However, there was still nothing really "hard core" about getting them, as most of them required pretty simple things to do, and were more about the time consuming nessesity of collecting dozens of items through repeated raid clears. Sure, "everybody" could concievably get their legendary if they "worked" for it, but in reality, all this really was was sulfuras / Glaives all over again except that instead of getting your Orange item when it dropped off the boss, you "locked" yourself into the loot at the start. They just removed the "random drop" chance in favour of a "long ass payment plan" model. And lets face it, it still boiled down to the same as before, one special snowflake got their uber item, and the rest of the raid,, who carried them to it, got jack shit (cause lets face it, unless you were in a cutting edge guild going for world firsts, nobody in your raid group was ever working on the same step of the questline at the same time, one guy always got priority).

- Now we have the cloak, which applies the "longass questline" model on the personal level, and it is awesome. I mean, I love that warm fuzzy feeling of being able to say "yeah, i was there when we killed Deathwing, and Dgrfrmbehind got his 200th stupidass gem cluster", but that warm fuzzy feeling lasts about 5 minutes, and then I am back to whining that nothing dropped for me. This way, everyone actually gets to work on their own Orange item. Sure, it might be a bit TOO easy to get, but then again, Sulfuras / Warglaves were stupidly easy to get too, they just had a really lowass chance of dropping.