Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Seeing yourself requoted?

So I have a question, not sure if it's possible but I figured it might be. With the system we have in place to quote other posters that uses the hash-name code thingy to designate a user, quote, and iirc location, is it possible to see those who have quoted you? I ask because I think it's interesting to see how others use your words in their post, and also as a way of making sure the quote's meaning isn't getting lost thru use of "creative" cutting. If anyone knows how to search/see who or what (dun dun dun) has quoted you, share your method(s).
    Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to my knowledge. Although, admittedly, I'm kind of a noob..I still don't even know how to update my posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    None that I've noticed, a little notification thingy that alerts you to replies where you've been quoted would be nice though.

Mostly I just keep an eye out for my name in a quote, though it usually makes me cringe thinking someone found something to be mad about. lol Doesn't happen too often, thankfully... mostly get ignored :\ though I've just come to accept that it just means maybe it was good enough that I said nothing worth debating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    I ask because I think it's interesting to see how others use your words in their post, and also as a way of making sure the quote's meaning isn't getting lost thru use of "creative" cutting.
    This is a worry now? Guess it's been a while since I've been involved with a large forum. Explains why a twit did get all made about my not quoting everything once. Good grief. Er, no.. I just simply quote the portion I'm responding to and sometimes I cut out rambling junk in the middle. That would be weird and manipulative to try to change someone's meaning. o.O
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-10-03 at 01:22 AM.

Deleted
    None sadly, would be cool to have a feature that told you when someone quotes you, so it doesn't seem like you're ignoring them if you miss the post.

Use the forum search function, search for posts specifically containing the keyword of "yournamehere." It's not perfect but it will return every post that contains a quote from you in it, unless they copy and paste the text and don't actually include the quote link.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of disappointed that there is no feature to notify when someone quotes/replies to you tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    Just use the search and search for your forum name. Set it to show results as posts rather than threads.

For example, the most recent person to quote you, other than in this thread, was Spectral in the "Should fat kids be required to choose from healthy menus at school lunch?" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    As is smoking and drinking. Yet you would no sooner go up to someone drinking/smoking and spew half of what has been said here on being overweight, not just because it's petty, but because it's frowned on by most others.
    Drinking in excess is bad. Drinking in moderation is not.

Smoking should be shamed.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    None sadly, would be cool to have a feature that told you when someone quotes you, so it doesn't seem like you're ignoring them if you miss the post.
    OOOh, how could I have not thought of this as a big plus to seeing yourself quoted? It would be especially good to be able to begin a PM convo someone initiated after replying to you or even bringing back a lost point in a sea of responses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Kind of disappointed that there is no feature to notify when someone quotes/replies to you tbh
    Does a feature like this actually exist on bb?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think something of this nature would be fantastic.

[Click the Image to Expand]
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-10-16 at 04:10 PM.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Lol, it would be the forum equivalent of seeing someone outbid you on ebay :P

- - - Updated - - -

So what do I have to rub/chant/read/sacrifice to summon the almighty Boubouille to make this a reality?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Does a feature like this actually exist on bb?
    There are mods for it. Not sure what version they have here though.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

From the FAQ:
    Q: Can I be notified when someone quotes me?
    A: We'll look into it, but no promises on ETA. (Sources: 1)
    It's been awhile so I can poke at them again, but sadly it's probably not something very high on the priorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be a wonderful addition if possible. I have to always scroll through pages upon pages of stuff just to make sure somebody didn't quote me and I don't want to leave them hanging, though people rarely quote me anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    This would be a wonderful addition if possible. I have to always scroll through pages upon pages of stuff just to make sure somebody didn't quote me and I don't want to leave them hanging, though people rarely quote me anyway
    Exactly, which I guess is also beneficial for MMO-C, getting them pageviews and better Alexa rank! :P Cheeky !$%!£"%^!"£

But in all seriousness, this is one of the most important and only features that Id actually love to see over any other suggestion ever made. This is year 2013 afterall, forums need to evolve
    -K

My lineage 2 forum 6+ years ago had a button next to the thread title indicating you had been quoted and once you pressed it you were taken to the first post that quoted you. How it is such a big deal for one of the biggest gaming forums of the internet to come up with something so that existed forever is beyond me, but then again I know nothing about computer stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    My lineage 2 forum 6+ years ago had a button next to the thread title indicating you had been quoted and once you pressed it you were taken to the first post that quoted you. How it is such a big deal for one of the biggest gaming forums of the internet to come up with something so that existed forever is beyond me, but then again I know nothing about computer stuff.
    The thing is, there is most likely a plugin for that to support such feature, of course devs would need to make sure it has no security vulnerabilities and all that shenanigans but that cant be that hard :/
    -K

I tend to just Ctrl+F my name in anything I've posted in to see if anyone quotes/asks/whatever me something. Saves time instead of searching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    I tend to just Ctrl+F my name in anything I've posted in to see if anyone quotes/asks/whatever me something. Saves time instead of searching.
    Yeah that is helpful however when you go to sleep/away and wake up in the morning, you aren't exactly going to go through all the pages ctrl+Fing your name to see who has replied, it's just unnecessary waste of time.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    Yeah that is helpful however when you go to sleep/away and wake up in the morning, you aren't exactly going to go through all the pages ctrl+Fing your name to see who has replied, it's just unnecessary waste of time.
    Yeah... that would be silly I guess...