Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How can one guy implement a feature into WoW that Blizz failed on? (Oqueue)

So there was a blue post a few hours ago in regard to a question:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8325342684

"Why can't you guys at blizzard just implement a dedicated LFG crossrealm browsing/listing system?"

Blizz - That is definitely a good idea but like always, it’s mostly a matter of time and resources vs current needs.

The new Oqueue addon is probably the best addon to hit WoW since DBM. It allows you to find crossrealm groups VERY easily now (the old version sucked but the new one is way better). I've gotten all my flex groups done on the first day with success without having to spam trade looking for a group. Also did a few RBG's as well. Last night there were about 350 groups going on (Ally side) for Flex, Shao rep, ToT, arena, and rbg's.

How can Blizz, a company that profited 1.1 billion dollars in 2012, say "we don't have the resources" when ONE 27 year old guy from Florida who moonlights as a rapper/dj can make an addon and can successfully pull it off? Makes zero sense.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2013-10-03 at 04:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    How can Blizz, a company that profited 1.1 billion dollars in 2012, say "we don't have the resources" when ONE 27 year old guy from Florida who moonlights as a rapper can make an addon and can successfully pull it off? Makes zero sense.
    Makes plenty of sense. All the developers have their priorities to fulfill and that wasn't one of them. Of course, any employee could have made something like that in their off hours but...it comes down to what Blizzard believes it worth the investment and they felt it wasn't. There are tons of "easy" things I could add into any of the projects I work on but my company frequently says no because it's not worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Makes plenty of sense. All the developers have their priorities to fulfill and that wasn't one of them. Of course, any employee could have made something like that in their off hours but...it comes down to what Blizzard believes it worth the investment and they felt it wasn't. There are tons of "easy" things I could add into any of the projects I work on but my company frequently says no because it's not worth the investment.
    I would agree, but Blizz did try to implement the old raid finder a few years ago that noone used since it wasn't user friendly. So they definitely did attempt to do it. I'm sure Blizz hires developers with prior industry experience and at least a four year degree. So how come this one guy can pull it off while Blizz couldn't?
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2013-10-03 at 04:08 PM.

Deleted
    i kinda agree with the OP on this. the priorities should be also what players need(not top prio, but near top), in this case(and if this really works), this is very important and awesome

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So there was a blue post a few hours ago in regard to a question:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8325342684

"Why can't you guys at blizzard just implement a dedicated LFG crossrealm browsing/listing system?"

Blizz - That is definitely a good idea but like always, it’s mostly a matter of time and resources vs current needs.

The new Oqueue addon is probably the best addon to hit WoW since DBM. It allows you to find crossrealm groups VERY easily now (the old version sucked but the new one is way better). I've gotten all my flex groups done on the first day with success without having to spam trade looking for a group. Also did a few RBG's as well. Last night there were about 350 groups going on (Ally side) for Flex, Shao rep, ToT, arena, and rbg's.

How can Blizz, a company that profited 1.1 billion dollars in 2012, say "we don't have the resources" when ONE 27 year old guy from Florida who moonlights as a rapper/dj can make an addon and can successfully pull it off? Makes zero sense.
    Blizz did implement it. It's called LFD, LFBG, and LFR.

Let's face it, Blizz doesn't have a good track record because it's their game. If it's a feature, the horrible players and bots will use it. Addons, not so much, it tends to weed out a lot of bads just by requiring you to download and install it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I would agree, but Blizz did try to implement the old raid finder a few years ago that noone used since it wasn't user friendly. So they definitely did attempt to do it. I'm sure Blizz hires developers with prior industry experience and at least a four year degree. So how come this one guy can pull it off while Blizz couldn't?
    A couple years ago you couldn't pull people x-realm.

Also, it's not that Bliz can't do it, any more than Bliz "can't" make a Recount or DBM or whatever else integrated into their system. They're simply focusing on other things right now. If enough people use oQueue and Openraid, I imagine Bliz will integrate it into their system. It won't be the first time they have openly copied a popular addon and made it default.

I'm sure there are a lot of addons that Blizzard could have implemented into their game, but why bother? Unless the addon author gets donations from the the user, they don't make any money off it. So we, the player, benefits from the addon and Blizzard benefits from not having to pay one of their employees from doing it.

It makes complete sense. Making a standalone addon that feeds from the friends list and such is a lot easier to do than how Blizzard would have to do it. Blizzard would have to integrate it with their entire system which could break other things. If OQ broke something you can disable it and go on with your day. The next thing is Blizzard wouldn't have it feed off your friends list and you don't have to add b.net friends constantly to join groups.

All in all, it's easier for the addon to exist because not as much work is required as compared into integrating it into WoW completely and working properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    an engineer will never tell you can't do something, she'll just tell you how long it will take, how much it will cost and what you'll have to give up to do it.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Deleted

something like Oqueue is worth the investment, blizard must feel silly for not picking up this idea earlier, their LFG system probably took longer to make and its not as good.

Blizzard are trying to bring community back to the game and reduce the effects of "dead realms", surely creating an addon like this that makes it easier to find people to group with for content you want to do would be a very high priority? Especially given the apparent ease it is possible with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    By that logic: There are TONS of cool addons that Blizzard could just do because "some guy" could do it. I think there are 6361 of 'em currently on curse.
    There's a difference, most of them are addons that are little more than nice little changes for the UI, this addon can make the game incredibly easier to find groups for

If Blizz gave everyone an improved, in game oque system, what would be the need to xfer realms or factions? Lost money = not gonna happen form Blizz

Deleted
    As he had the idea, blizz have even commented about it today. Hardly a fail go play another mmo and see how many others arent half as polished as wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gospels View Post
    If Blizz gave everyone an improved, in game oque system, what would be the need to xfer realms or factions? Lost money = not gonna happen form Blizz
    You realize people transfer realms/factions for reasons other than raiding, yes? Not to mention oQueue only goes up to Flex.

You also realize that if Bliz was this concerned about lost revenue, they'd find some obscure reason to break the addon, yes?

0/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Gospels View Post
    Now that I think about it, that is probably the actual reason. The only people who would want to xfer servers now are people who do normal or heroic raiding, which is maybe like 5% of the total WoW population. If the other 95% all used Oqueue and understood how to use it, it would stop ALOT of people from transferring because there would be no need. Sure, any player can form an xrealm group, but you can't make an xrealm group when you don't know anyone on other servers. Oqueue brings all those people together.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    You realize people transfer realms/factions for reasons other than raiding, yes? Not to mention oQueue only goes up to Flex.

You also realize that if Bliz was this concerned about lost revenue, they'd find some obscure reason to break the addon, yes?

0/10.
    Blizz like the idea and are recommending it to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Blizz doesn't focus on something that only a small percentage of the playing population is interested in/would use... Oh wait they do that all the time.
    The ability to set up raids/5 mans/challenge dungeons/other events in game ahead of time with a sign up option x-realm isn't a feature that only very few people would use.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Blizz like the idea and are recommending it to people.
    Why are you replying to me? I recommend it to people too.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    something like Oqueue is worth the investment, blizard must feel silly for not picking up this idea earlier, their LFG system probably took longer to make and its not as good.

If it is so awesome and needed. Why am I able to play the game just fine without it?

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    If it is so awesome and needed. Why am I able to play the game just fine without it?
    Nobody says it is NEEDED.

The addon is awesome because it allows casual players the ability to search for raids/events they want to join days ahead of time on other servers without having to find websites dedicated to it.