Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Proving Grounds - Success?

So i just finished gold on the proving grounds, and wondering what people thought of them as a new feature?

success / fail / what is proving grounds?

Are they something guilds will look at when reviewing applicants?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not something that u will be doing as much as brawlers or something if we talk about the recent new features, but they aren't a fail either.
    It's a feature u will maybe visit few times in your life, get what you wanted and move on ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

15+ Year Old Account
    i highly doubt any good guild will look at ur proving grounds achievements as a factor on if they accept u or not, as a healer proving grounds does nothing to help u improve ur skills and as a dps it is extremely easy to get gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i highly doubt any good guild will look at ur proving grounds achievements as a factor on if they accept u or not, as a healer proving grounds does nothing to help u improve ur skills and as a dps it is extremely easy to get gold.
    Ye i gotta agree, the feature has been out for a month now, and i never saw anyone asking for it.
    And i'm even on EU Outland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Failure, it's way too cookie cutter and small to be worth a damn.

There needs to be more modes and options available.

AoE mode so you can solely practice on AoE
    Single target mode so you can practice your DPS on 1 target
    Moving target mode
    Survivability mode

etc....

Bronze, Silver, Gold and Endless are simply too cookie cutter and bland to be meaningful

It's a neat side show, nothing really to fuss over. Some specs and classes have a far easier time with it than others, at least in terms of the dps mode (haven't tried the others).

The achievement for it shouldn't be account-wide.

Honestly, it's pretty amazing for DPS specs. It's specifically not bland at all. You have to know how to prioritize different enemies, to balance interrupts, when to stun or snare and how to quickly maximize your DPS when dealing with enemies that will kill the raid if left alone. It's a fantastic start.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't care to much for it. "Problems" I have with it, is that it is for max lvl only and it doesn't give you any reward at all except a few achievements and bragging rights for endless mode.
    So I completed gold, and will do gold on the others when I can be bothered. Then I wont likely ever bother with it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of boring that it's really only 4-5 mobs and just a matter of which combination comes out. Did gold the first week it was out and tried endless but couldn't keep my focus after round 10 (of course I shouldn't have tried it right after bronze-gold). Kind of neat but needs to be improved.

Nice idea but IMO it could be improved on. I've only done the tank one but IMO it doesn't accurately represent the trials of tanking. 463 iLevel is IMO too low to be effective (should have been at least like 489 or hell 496 to assume a new tank with Timeless gear). The tank trial is pretty much can you survive against waves of adds that do a truckload of damage, and in some cases it's pure luck (I still don't really know how I lived through Gold Wave #10). The tank trial should have been like the trial on Norushen: Tanking a boss-like add with boss-like mechanics and being able to survive through it. It should have included an NPC tank to demonstrate a tank switch. As it stands, the tank one penalizes you for not being able to output a lot of DPS as some of the mobs have a ridiculous amount of health (the Wind-guard) and the NPC with you is pretty ineffective.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having gotten all of the associated achievements I can say that I liked all of it. I think it's stupid that the tanking challenge feels like it's more about kiting than actual tanking and I think a few specs have gotten the short end of the stick in the dps challenge but apart from that the only thing I dislike is that if I wanted to progress further in Endless I have to sit through 50 minutes of waves to get somewhere interesting again. And that's for the type of challenge where you actually have time to essentially reset your state every 10 waves. Uncool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done gold on a couple of characters and did endless as dps and it's quite fun imo. Will probably get all 3 titles eventually but it's not something I'd focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Nice idea but IMO it could be improved on. I've only done the tank one but IMO it doesn't accurately represent the trials of tanking. 463 iLevel is IMO too low to be effective (should have been at least like 489 or hell 496 to assume a new tank with Timeless gear). The tank trial is pretty much can you survive against waves of adds that do a truckload of damage, and in some cases it's pure luck (I still don't really know how I lived through Gold Wave #10). The tank trial should have been like the trial on Norushen: Tanking a boss-like add with boss-like mechanics and being able to survive through it. It should have included an NPC tank to demonstrate a tank switch. As it stands, the tank one penalizes you for not being able to output a lot of DPS as some of the mobs have a ridiculous amount of health (the Wind-guard) and the NPC with you is pretty ineffective.
    Their health is that high so that tanks wouldn't try to DPS and focus on, you know, tanking. It's not penalizing you for anything other than you or the healer/dps NPC not surviving.
    Although, I'd say you don't use getting away as far as possible from a mob as a way to avoid damage nearly as much in actual raiding. Maybe I'm wrong, though, haven't done even any Normal raiding in a long while.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2013-10-03 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    The thing about the tank trials is that they become infinitely easier when you know exactly when you're supposed to be using your cooldowns. Also, I'm willing to bet that you didn't know that you could use the lava pools to help kill adds, which might explain some of your DPS issues. Either way, any tank class can survive, without issue, at least up to wave 30 in Endless Tank PG. If you're having trouble with gold proving grounds, that just shows that you need more practice and to figure out when to use cooldowns to get through the hard parts (which is, essentially, the exact same process you go through when you learn a boss fight).

Case in point: I've managed to get up to endless wave 56 as a prot paladin. If GoAK and Holy Avenger aren't up for repeats of wave 6 and 9, I'm screwed. If I don't have my 5 stack Eternal Flame up at the right times, I'm screwed. It's all about proper cooldown usage and keeping the adds off your healer/dps. Imo, it's exactly representative of tanking. When I hit wave 5, I've always got the conqueror from wave 4 with me. When I hit wave 7, I've always got two wind-guards from wave 6 with me. I don't have the DPS to kill them and I don't need it -- it's designed so that you sometimes carry over mobs from previous waves.

Personally, I've probably spent around 20-30 hours in the past few weeks working on Endless Tank Proving Grounds. As much as I hate wiping to "easy" waves, especially after I get to wave 30 or 40, I still absolutely LOVE Proving Grounds. Of course, once I beat wave 60 and get the server high score, I'm probably going to take a nice long break :P
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-10-03 at 07:41 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    So i just finished gold on the proving grounds, and wondering what people thought of them as a new feature?

success / fail / what is proving grounds?

Are they something guilds will look at when reviewing applicants?
    Gold doesn't do anything more for DPS than teach basic target switching techniques and movement. If I was recruiting for a guild or even just a pick up raid, and "I finished Gold" was the only accomplishment they had, I would respectfully suggest they look elsewhere.

Deleted
    I got healer gold. Went to try as dps and got f-ed on wave 3...

I'm so bad at dps is not even funny and this isn't helping me get better, so I will say is a fail

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i did it till wave 26 . nothing fun nothing new to learn and nothing to prove :/ title is not that cool either

Quote Originally Posted by Arian-KH View Post
    i did it till wave 26 . nothing fun nothing new to learn and nothing to prove :/ title is not that cool either
    I don't know, I'd say the fact that Endless gives you a score means that there's something to prove.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a great way to check the quality of a player without necessarily just looking at their iLevel.

For that, I like it.

But yeah, it won't be the same kind of group enjoyment Brawler's had.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    I don't think it was even made for that. It was made for the avg joe that gets told they suck every 5 mins in dungeons and can go there and practice.