Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian-KH View Post
    title is not that cool either
    I know right? Haven't thought about the DPS or Tank titles, yet, but I wish the Healer one was "Lifebinder."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Fail for me, simply because I got Silver, failed on Gold, and there was no guidance in game on how to improve, so I'm never touching it again.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Proving grounds for tank is pretty much tank trash mobs.

I quite like proving grounds, but dislike the ilevel cap. You kind of get used to having your character in good gear and able to manage certain situations, yet in the proving grounds you have to completely judge everything differently. This is especially true for healers and mana regen.

Personally I would have said let us keep our ilevel the way it is. Endless has scaling waves, lets just see how high we can go? Or have ilevel optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Fail for me, simply because I got Silver, failed on Gold, and there was no guidance in game on how to improve, so I'm never touching it again.
    You're a mage, according to your signature, I'm guessing you were doing DPS PG. What problems were you having?

Did you not see the shields that cause mobs to deflect when you attack from the front? That's some in-game guidance. How about the big Sha mobs that have a shield up and an icon showing when that shield is going to drop (and another icon showing an increased damage taken when that shield drops)? Looks pretty in-game to me. How about those orbs that encase you in amber? If you get hit by those a few times, it might occur to you that the mobs can get hit by them as well... did that ever happen? And then there are the mobile mobs that spew bananas. Getting hit by those bananas tends to hurt your DPS, so it's pretty obvious that you want to take them out pretty quickly while remaining mobile.

Finally, there's the banshees that blow up and wipe you. They have an animated timer above their head. Pretty in-game to me.

So, yeah, pretty much every bit of Gold DPS Proving Grounds can be figured out in-game. I'm fairly certain that I didn't need to look it up to figure out those things. Maybe the problem was that you weren't paying enough attention?

Either way, I suggest giving it another try. At the very least, don't blame your loss and giving up on the information not being present: it most certainly is. You actually have to pay attention, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    I quite like proving grounds, but dislike the ilevel cap. You kind of get used to having your character in good gear and able to manage certain situations, yet in the proving grounds you have to completely judge everything differently. This is especially true for healers and mana regen.

Personally I would have said let us keep our ilevel the way it is. Endless has scaling waves, lets just see how high we can go? Or have ilevel optional.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about the scaling down of gear and I can kind of understand why, but I actually quite like it. It levels the playing field. I like to know that, if my score is higher than someone elses, it's because of my ability and not because of my gear.

It's the same with challenge modes, after all. Everyone is capped at 463. Some people can't manage gold clears because they're simply not good enough (or practiced enough). All it takes is more work!
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-10-03 at 08:14 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    I am asking ppl to complete proving grounds endless 30 if they are way behind in gear and application otherwise is good. This is just to see are they worth of gearing and they do have some basic knowledge of their class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just did the dps mode last night and it was bad. I failed gold many times and it was only because of things I didn't know beforehand such as using the damage buff, amber shaper giving 50% dmg increase, and when to save CDs for. Oh and to use flask or food buffs.

Are you for real? It's called using your brain and creating tactics. Blizzard shouldn't need to hold your hand through everything. Geez...

I run a new guild that I would like to become a strong heroic guild, so I don't always have access to those with 560+ ilvl and jaw-dropping logs. Endless PG scores evaluated against what class/role they're playing give me a great idea of where returning raiders - who I do have access to - are at.

For me, they're very helpful.

As a shadow priest, I've found gold and endless to be quite challenging. As a n00b guardian druid, it's given me a bit of confidence before going into heroics/LFR.

I think it's a small but useful feature.

I don't see how this helps people learn their class when you have to 90 to use it. What about all the new players that... want to learn their class and not be a burden to others in a group?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Nice idea but IMO it could be improved on. I've only done the tank one but IMO it doesn't accurately represent the trials of tanking. 463 iLevel is IMO too low to be effective (should have been at least like 489 or hell 496 to assume a new tank with Timeless gear). The tank trial is pretty much can you survive against waves of adds that do a truckload of damage, and in some cases it's pure luck (I still don't really know how I lived through Gold Wave #10). The tank trial should have been like the trial on Norushen: Tanking a boss-like add with boss-like mechanics and being able to survive through it. It should have included an NPC tank to demonstrate a tank switch. As it stands, the tank one penalizes you for not being able to output a lot of DPS as some of the mobs have a ridiculous amount of health (the Wind-guard) and the NPC with you is pretty ineffective.
    This post is IMO like reading a straw-man of the things those who dislike PGs say IMO... except, presumably, you're being genuine? You're saying you lack an understanding of how your class (or even combat in general) works to the point where you had no idea what happened during the trial? And then you say that there's "RNG" because you didn't understand what happened to such a level that it genuinely appeared to be random to you?

And then you want tank switches in the trial? How could you possibly want the test to include sections where you go afk? The reason tanking raids is as ass as it is IMO is because of the idiotic forced tank swaps they man-handle into near every encounter. If there's anything the game doesn't need more of it's that particular design choice... (IMO).

- - - Updated - - -

Are you joking? The NPC literally tells you how to deal with every mechanic as it appears... I don't even...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

From a dps (feral druid)perspective:

Pretty good as long as people don't take endless as a pure measure of skill. I think gold and maybe endless wave 10 translates well into how skilled you are as a player. Anything past that is either just spending hours in there or having a class that can handle it extremely easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The achievement for it shouldn't be account-wide.
    Agree on that. It seems to me that this is a long-term thing for the game. It's not terrible that it's there but the usefulness of it could be improved by about 1000% if they set it up for characters that hadn't gotten to end game.

Nonetheless, I've been in it a few times trying to learn to heal better (normally shadow) and it's been somewhat helpful as a place to go after reading up through a disc healing guide.

If judged on the same criteria as proving grounds I largely think that misses the point and distracts from something that's useful and can be helpful. I would have been happier if they hadn't decided to overtly make it a competitive thing. There's nothing wrong with tools to help people learn how to do things better.

Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    I just did the dps mode last night and it was bad. I failed gold many times and it was only because of things I didn't know beforehand such as using the damage buff, amber shaper giving 50% dmg increase, and when to save CDs for. Oh and to use flask or food buffs.
    Case in point, no offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    There needs to be more modes and options available.

AoE mode so you can solely practice on AoE
    Single target mode so you can practice your DPS on 1 target
    Moving target mode
    Survivability mode
    Agree with this too. Different modes and the ability to mix them up.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-10-03 at 09:15 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    And then there are the mobile mobs that spew bananas. Getting hit by those bananas tends to hurt your DPS, so it's pretty obvious that you want to take them out pretty quickly while remaining mobile.
    Impossible for me as Arcane, as I have no on-the-move spells aside from ABarr and FiB (and a non-Frost Bomb). Failed on stage 2 every time, simply because blowing cooldowns was pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by esach88 View Post
    Are you for real? It's called using your brain and creating tactics. Blizzard shouldn't need to hold your hand through everything. Geez...
    I don't think there's any tactics for moving whilst using a turret spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Are you joking? The NPC literally tells you how to deal with every mechanic as it appears... I don't even...
    Sure they tell you, but that's quite disconnected from whether your spec can do it or not.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

I did damage silver and actually don't want to do gold, it's boring, taking too much time and gives no real rewards.

Best thing in 5.4

Especially you don't need all sorts of crazy gear as everything is 463. Nice break from oh you need legendary, meta, 550+ ilvl shit

It does take bit too long

Deleted
    I still don't know what proving grounds is, didn't bother to search anything about it.

did silver on the first day of patch, and forgot it existed until i saw this topic.
    i think this explains how sucessfull it was

Fail for me, simply because and there was no guidance in game on how to improve
    I'd go along with this thought as well. I Thought proving grounds had a 2 fold function. Help players understand their specs and better learn to play them and then see how well you can play your spec (of choice)
    Like others, Fury just doesn't play that well scaled back to 463, so in order to progress I had to play arms. Then after failing on gold a few times, I needed to watch a couple of videos to get down the kill orders. Currently stuck on wave 9 of endless. To me, it doesn't feel like I'm really learning anything or proving much. I need to memorize a pattern and execute it with very little room for error. I'm not doing a proper rotation that would be used on most raid boss fights, though it might be good for people to learn switch targets a lot. A healer trying to get their wave 30 done curses the RNG nature of it.
    It's different, but I wouldn't consider it that useful for learning how to raid or a very good measuring stick, outside of someone with a Wave 30 title is probably a really good player.