Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried it out yet
    I dont know where it is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catersu View Post
    I love it, but once you've reached a high enough number, it's just too annoying to redo ALL the easy waves and a huge waste of time I'd love to practice more to improve my score, but I won't if I have to wait half an hour before getting to the interesting part.
    That's my biggest complaint about proving grounds. Once you reach say wave 30, you know that the next time you can reach wave 30 easily. The problem is, nothing that you do pre-wave 30 has an effect on your actual post wave 30 game play (except maybe saving cooldowns). If optimization on the first tries had an effect on the later tries it would be a different matter (for example killing a wave early could allow you to "store" some time for a wave you have trouble with).

A very interesting blog post I found about this:http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/...endless-games/

Its interesting how people seem to bash this feature when the majority of posters here don't even have gold let alone done endless. If its hard enough to require a sensible amount of skill and strategy then it's for the better. And don't let me started on those saying its wasted resources because you have to be pretty thick-headed to believe its taken up much of them.

Deleted
    I dont see the point of doing it, heroic raiding is enough to me as a proving ground.

I really like them, have finished 30 waves damage as hunter (mainchar) and 30 waves healing as druid. Now i must level a tank to continue.
    But i liked brawlers guild too and every little content i can do alone sometimes. Wow is a mmo game and i wish they would add questing while in raid group (just for fun), but sometimes you want to do something alone.

Deleted
    It's such a non-feature I don't see why people are so eager to bash it.

Personally I've done Gold on my Hunter, it was a effort in frustration being beaten by simply changing gear to a piece with 3 agi gem slots and using Corehound for hero.

A total non feature with little merit. Much the same as Timewaste isle and the lack of content as a whole because Blizz thinks their new raid is some answer to all the problems in WoW.

I personally find it unrealistic for healing if it's goal is to teach you how to preform well in a typical setting. I'd have to completely re-optimize for Proving Grounds versus any other type of healing; this includes different talents, glyphs, reforging, and skill priorities than normal healing. I'd have to act a different way about it that I never would in anything other than Proving Grounds.

If it is intended solely to prove your ability to come up with strategies to progress through it, then I'd say it's doing it's job well. That being said, I'm not really going to waste the time re-optimizing for this at this time, but later on I definitely will as I do want the proven healer title. It's more of a vanity thing for me than anything else though, I don't really feel like it would be proving my worth as a healer in any setting other than Proving Grounds itself.

Others can feel free to disagree with me -- but that's my view point on it thus far.

Deleted
    Best thing about proving grounds?
    It lets me easily reforge for challenge modes. -.-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    I personally find it unrealistic for healing if it's goal is to teach you how to preform well in a typical setting. I'd have to completely re-optimize for Proving Grounds versus any other type of healing; this includes different talents, glyphs, reforging, and skill priorities than normal healing. I'd have to act a different way about it that I never would in anything other than Proving Grounds.

If it is intended solely to prove your ability to come up with strategies to progress through it, then I'd say it's doing it's job well. That being said, I'm not really going to waste the time re-optimizing for this at this time, but later on I definitely will as I do want the proven healer title. It's more of a vanity thing for me than anything else though, I don't really feel like it would be proving my worth as a healer in any setting other than Proving Grounds itself.

Others can feel free to disagree with me -- but that's my view point on it thus far.
    I agree that the healer challenge is the one with the least applicability in a real raid. To a knowledgeable raider it might seem stupid that you need completely different stat priorities and talents for proving grounds, but I think the average WoW player doesn't even know what stat priority is and rarely changes talents. The fact that you can actually switch those things around to get performance increases in different environments is a pretty good lesson (not that you need to do it for gold ofc)

Depends on criteria for success. As an improved combat dummy/place to try out rotations, specs and play with addons I think it is a resounding success.

As a form of entertainment, some people like it, but while more interesting than a combat dummy it isn't exactly fun, nor is it rewarding which means I'll do it if I need to try something out. Which I think it is personally great for.

Completed tank wave 30-something on endless with a complete tard spec for the title/achievement.

Never doing that again.

Once again, good idea, bad execution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    It's such a non-feature I don't see why people are so eager to bash it.

Personally I've done Gold on my Hunter, it was a effort in frustration being beaten by simply changing gear to a piece with 3 agi gem slots and using Corehound for hero.

A total non feature with little merit. Much the same as Timewaste isle and the lack of content as a whole because Blizz thinks their new raid is some answer to all the problems in WoW.
    Sounds to me on your tone in all your posts here starting to play other games would be better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageadon View Post
    I haven't tried it out yet
    I dont know where it is
    Have you tried using google before? Its a great website that you can search for anything (yes anything!) and it will filter out the best possible results for your search-words. I even did it to demonstrate for you here just to show how amazing it is, this is what I got for searching for the words "Proving Grounds area" its the first hit:

http://wowpedia.org/Proving_Grounds

That page shows you where and how to get to the proving grounds area, have fun!
    Last edited by mmocf94708a214; 2013-10-05 at 03:05 PM.

I don't find it to be useful yet - practicing at max level does nothing to effectively learn things.

For instance - the monk daily quests initially teach you something in terms of a skill and when to use it. That's useful. I can hone a particular skill and then be much better at it.

The proving grounds for me thus far are nothing more than a race to the finish, and no learning takes place. I still don't feel comfortable attempting tanking or even considering raids because it only feels like a button mash fest. I want proving grounds to be something that teaches things, rather than a race where you get a medal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dusketernal View Post
    I don't find it to be useful yet - practicing at max level does nothing to effectively learn things.

For instance - the monk daily quests initially teach you something in terms of a skill and when to use it. That's useful. I can hone a particular skill and then be much better at it.

The proving grounds for me thus far are nothing more than a race to the finish, and no learning takes place. I still don't feel comfortable attempting tanking or even considering raids because it only feels like a button mash fest. I want proving grounds to be something that teaches things, rather than a race where you get a medal.
    Gold is kind of easy. But to get to wave 30 (or further depending on your skill and goals) you will probably need to think about your stat priorities, your talents, your rotation, learn the pattern in which the waves come and for which waves you should better save cooldowns etc. At the same time you can look up a lot of that information on forums and guides. Even if the choices you end up making are completely different than in a raid environment, I believe that the mere fact that you had to make informed decisions about all these aspects teaches you the most important thing about raiding: preparation

EDIT: It's also a nice reminder that your class has CC abilities

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    Sounds to me on your tone in all your posts here starting to play other games would be better for you.
    I disagree, I'm still enjoying PVP and Flex raids via Oqueue have meant I can continue playing raids even though I would prefer a set 10man group which seems impossible with my current server.

My point is that if you strip away the raid content from 5.4 there wasn't a lot else added.

Personally I would have enjoyed 2 new 5 mans with a bit of difficulty but if the cost of doing that means no expansion until later I can see why 5.4 lacks anything. The defence of the ale house thingy they had in development looked interesting but will we ever see it? Connected Realms, still waiting might have added some population back so I could do some "real" raiding again.

Guess we have to wait and see at Blizzcon for expansion release date but I would hope its not going to be a huge wait for expansion because I don't see endless proving grounds and timewaste isle (already dead on my server) as anything but throwaway loreless content.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem for me is pushing gear back to 464 ilvl, where especially the Holy priest just lacks regen to keep up any sort of sustained healing. I'd rather they went with 500 or so. Right now it's just a general nightmare. I did get gold on first try but because of the regen, it wasn't even close to being fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    The problem for me is pushing gear back to 464 ilvl, where especially the Holy priest just lacks regen to keep up any sort of sustained healing. I'd rather they went with 500 or so. Right now it's just a general nightmare. I did get gold on first try but because of the regen, it wasn't even close to being fun.
    They have seen your mmo-c profile name

But i agree, proving grounds would have been better, if they choose another way for stats. I would have liked, if they just give you one set in this scenario, which you must wear, but you can reforge that.
    Last edited by Merador; 2013-10-05 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koji2k11 View Post
    i consider Proving grounds a failure since it scales you down to 463
    That's .. uhh... sort of the entire point of it.

Proving grounds is a nice add, I definitely enjoy it. I don't like the achievement side of it where they kinda make all 3 roles achievements available. But the idea and how it feels when doing proving grounds is definitely fun since you can do it during spare time or whenever no one else is on to do anything. The solo play of it is great.

Anything in the game is easy if you put effort into it or follow someone's strategy.

proving grounds owns and will quickly point out your weaknesses to you if you weren't already aware of them. i had a lot of fun doing endless 30 for each role. my biggest complaint is that a mistake or lag spike can undo many minutes of effort, for instance i wiped 4-5 times on wave 26 healer while ironing out my CD rotation and talent choices, and 1 of those was a lag spike which was extremely frustrating.

e: also want to note that healer rng seems especially punishing, since bad bleeds or debuffs on the wrong targets can mess up your CD management. also the npcs are sometimes total shit at interrupts, thankfully i did it as a resto shaman so i had grounding/wind shear/cap totem to control the casters but i pity healing classes with less caster control (priests' lack of true interrupt seems pretty threatening)
    Last edited by Fuqup; 2013-10-06 at 07:51 AM.