Deleted

Silly BM Question

I feel silly asking this but I've started playing my hunter more and more recently and I'm now looking for as many ways to increase my damage as I can;

Is there any real benefit other than the special abilities to using an exotic pet over a 'normal' one?

Yeah yeah, I've seen the animated 'I want the best dps pet' animation but Bm used to get extra talent points for their pets. I was curious as to whether that was taken into consideration and exotics given a minor damage buff to compensate for the talent changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleh View Post
    I feel silly asking this but I've started playing my hunter more and more recently and I'm now looking for as many ways to increase my damage as I can;

Is there any real benefit other than the special abilities to using an exotic pet over a 'normal' one?

Yeah yeah, I've seen the animated 'I want the best dps pet' animation but Bm used to get extra talent points for their pets. I was curious as to whether that was taken into consideration and exotics given a minor damage buff to compensate for the talent changes.
    no they just give you extra buffs like BL , selfheal or a BR. just get a cat and be happy ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Scrimjaw View Post
    . just get a cat and be happy ^^

What he meant to say is...

"Get a Sporebat and be Happy"

Now oddly enough!, I had to pull out my SporeBat last night for raid, since our Ele Shaman was missing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drairon View Post
    Now oddly enough!, I had to pull out my SporeBat last night for raid, since our Ele Shaman was missing!
    My sporebat mind blown moment from a week or two ago, doing SoO LFR on my lock, we were missing spell haste buff and thus asked for a sporebat, one of the hunters actually dropped one. It was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Drairon View Post
    What he meant to say is...

"Get a Sporebat and be Happy"

Im raiding with sporebat since t14. <3 fights where top 3 skills says: Sporebat ***** =D

I didn't want to go creating a new thread just to ask this silly question so I figured I might just throw it in here. I have recently started playing my hunter and in raids I find my biggest problem is balancing focus as both BM and SV. My question would be when using Cobra shot to I do enough CS so I can use the KC/ES and then a couple arcanes after ( CD permitting ) or do I Cobra arcane Cobra Arcane Cobra KC/ES/BA ( WHen its up ).

TLDR: Do I Stockpile some focus to dump with AS after the KC/ES/BA or dump it as it comes ( Cooldowns permitting ).

Sorry if I have worded this weirldly. I have just noticed sometimes I am trailing behind another hunter by shitloads of extra Cobra shots on my behalf and he would wreck me on DPS despite being equally geared.

Bm used to get extra talent points for their pets. I was curious as to whether that was taken into consideration and exotics given a minor damage buff to compensate for the talent changes.
    Yea, BM used to get extra talents for their pets, but that wasn't exclusive to exotics. If you were BM and used a plain old grizzly bear, you'd have those extra talents as well. Exotics were never special for anything other than their unique abilities and armor models.

Yes, sporebats make your rogues bleed from their-

Yeah yeah, I've seen the animated 'I want the best dps pet' animation
    Dammit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotix View Post
    I didn't want to go creating a new thread just to ask this silly question so I figured I might just throw it in here. I have recently started playing my hunter and in raids I find my biggest problem is balancing focus as both BM and SV. My question would be when using Cobra shot to I do enough CS so I can use the KC/ES and then a couple arcanes after ( CD permitting ) or do I Cobra arcane Cobra Arcane Cobra KC/ES/BA ( WHen its up ).

TLDR: Do I Stockpile some focus to dump with AS after the KC/ES/BA or dump it as it comes ( Cooldowns permitting ).

Sorry if I have worded this weirldly. I have just noticed sometimes I am trailing behind another hunter by shitloads of extra Cobra shots on my behalf and he would wreck me on DPS despite being equally geared.
    This is always an interesting subject because there is no fixed answer, but I'll try to give some guidelines.

You first priority, always, is to have enough focus to use kill command, explosive shot or black arrow the moment they come up. What happens in between can be optimized in different ways and generally comes down to experience and just going out there and shooting bosses a lot. That said it helps a lot if the following three things are clearly visible, which may require addons:
    - A cast bar with cast time remaining visible
    - An indicator of your global cooldown that is close to your character (The action bar clock animation suffices for me)
    - Something that clearly displays cooldown remaining on your actionbars (omniCC, for example)

These will help you evaluate in real-time the difference between the global cooldown and remaining cooldown on signature abilities with 1 or 2 decimals precision.
    This is useful because differences in haste rating are going to affect something we call shot shifting. Because the cobra shot cast time is usually 1,xx where xx is a highly variable number your short cooldown abilities will often not line up with the global cooldown causing anywhere between 0 and 1 seconds delay. even such short delay means less singature shots and less dps.

Once you get a feel for it you can try to dump a little extra arcanes if your global cooldown is already lining up with ability cooldowns.
    Or you can choose to push in more cobra shots than usual to let the global and ability cooldowns "meet up" if they are 0,5 seconds off of each other for example.
    As long as you don't starve or cap focus doing these things you'll end up using slightly more signatures.
    I usually try to float around halfway the focus bar so I can adjust either way.

Also, as an afterthought, it can be a DPS gain to "delay your global cooldown" in order to wait for a signature shot to come off cooldown, (or glaive and maybe dire beast)
    Doing nothing for 0,3 seconds or less and then use KC or ES is better than using an arcane shot prior, delaying the signature shot by 0,7s or more.
    Last edited by mmoc85144e0f8e; 2013-10-08 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildspeaker View Post
    This is always an interesting subject because there is no fixed answer, but I'll try to give some guidelines.

You first priority, always, is to have enough focus to use kill command, explosive shot or black arrow the moment they come up. What happens in between can be optimized in different ways and generally comes down to experience and just going out there and shooting bosses a lot. That said it helps a lot if the following three things are clearly visible, which may require addons:
    - An indicator of your global cooldown that is close to your character (The action bar clock animation suffices for me)
    - Something that clearly displays cooldown remaining on your actionbars (omniCC, for example)

These will help you evaluate in real-time the difference between the global cooldown and remaining cooldown on signature abilities with 1 or 2 decimals precision.
    This is useful because differences in haste rating are going to affect something we call shot shifting. Because the cobra shot cast time is usually 1,xx where xx is a highly variable number your short cooldown abilities will often not line up with the global cooldown causing anywhere between 0 and 1 seconds delay. even such short delay means less singature shots and less dps.

Once you get a feel for it you can try to dump a little extra arcanes if your global cooldown is already lining up with ability cooldowns.
    Or you can choose to push in more cobra shots than usual to let the global and ability cooldowns "meet up" if they are 0,5 seconds off each other for example.
    As long as you don't starve or cap focus doing these things you'll end up using slightly more signatures.
    I usually try to float around halfway the focus bar so I can adjust either way.

Also, as an afterthought, it can be a DPS gain to "delay your global cooldown" in order to wait for a signature shot to come off cooldown, (or glaive and maybe dire beast)
    Doing nothing for 0,3 seconds or less and then cast KC or ES is better than using an arcane shot and delaying the signature shot by 0,7s or more.
    Hmm, I see. I will need to keep playing around with it and continue getting a feel for it. Thank you for the response.

Deleted
    My sporebat mind blown moment from a week or two ago, doing SoO LFR on my lock, we were missing spell haste buff and thus asked for a sporebat, one of the hunters actually dropped one. It was beautiful.
    Haha if your lock's name is anything like your hunter's I'm pretty sure that was me, I don't get to use my favourite wolf that much these days for my 10 man so I've normally got a sporebat and a hyena on me; glad I could help anyway lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildspeaker View Post

You first priority, always, is to have enough focus to use kill command, explosive shot, black arrow, A Murder of Crows the moment they come up. What happens in between can be optimized in different ways and generally comes down to experience and just going out there and shooting bosses a lot. That said it helps a lot if the following three things are clearly visible, which may require addons:

Doing nothing for 0,3 seconds or less and then use KC or ES is better than using an arcane shot prior, delaying the signature shot by 0,7s or more.
    -- Added 'A Murder of Crows'(if spec'd) - Not using this on CD(unless fight calls for otherwise) is a DPS lose.

This is a screenshot of my UI(a slightly older version). I have my 'primary' action bar with the abilities I use and need to keep track of, Focus Bar under it (JSB Hunter) which I have set to show markers for where my focus needs to be to be able to use my signature shots and arcane shot ( this way I know if I'll have focus to use Arcane before my signature. It also has predictive focus gain shown, so I know if another CS is needed or not ). And then I have my Cast Bar under that. Have all 3 next to each other helps a lot with Focus management for me. Then placing it slightly under my feet helps with the "Run Away Little Girl" DBM and WA yell.. lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleHoward View Post
    Haha if your lock's name is anything like your hunter's I'm pretty sure that was me, I don't get to use my favourite wolf that much these days for my 10 man so I've normally got a sporebat and a hyena on me; glad I could help anyway lol.
    MMO C, uniting sporebat fans around the globe \o/

Deleted
    I don't know if people are pulling shit out of their asses, but I've heard a cat sims slightly higher dps because they still have a slightly different attack rate and that makes them scale a liiiittle better. Very possible bullshit, but regardless, you should use a pet that has a raid buff that your raid is missing.

http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/

Check the MMO raid comp guide to see if you have a pet that provides a buff (or debuff!) no one else in the raid uses.

And yeah, sporebats are awesome! My sister uses one since we have no one else providing it.