Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Did some more tries yesterday evening, i just feel that we need to burn him down much faster than we do currently.

We are on a median 545 ilvl more or less. Should we go 3 or 2 healers? How do you manage the phase transitions? I think we can gain much more damage through this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    we killed it on sunday for the first time and what we did was have everybody stack up on a world marker during the kiting phase so people would not be spread all over the room at the end of the phase, then i put down a new marker where we wuld move as a group towards and stack up again so we could keep aoe healing.

we did the fight with 3 healer 2 tanks and 5 dps(of wich were 2 melee, a hunter and 2 casters) and just have the 2 melee and the tanks on the jailor, i would usually switch off the jailor when it was around 10-15% and begin attacking the boss with ST and when i could i'd attack it normally from the side.
    for reference i ran with burst of speed(wich i have taken a real liking to :P) and shuriken toss (used the CP for SnD or rupture).

we got him down around ~10% in the kiting phases, also we had around 20 ish stacks on the 1st burn phase and the 3rd one because of 3 minute cooldowns being back up, only got around 10 ish stacks during the second burn phase and the last one (fire) we almost completely skipped and went in to a kiting phase again to avoid most of the fire :P

anyway i hope this helped a little bit (and sorry about the longish post :P)

Ok, we switched phases at like 5 stacks, but we were going 2 healers - i assume that pushing to 20 stacks will make the fight doable. 10% HP during kite phases seems on line with our performance, at pull with heroism we manage to bring him to 75% more or less in the said 5-6 stacks.

Will try again this evening or next week (very likely we won't raid today), then post results.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, we switched phases at like 5 stacks, but we were going 2 healers - i assume that pushing to 20 stacks will make the fight doable. 10% HP during kite phases seems on line with our performance, at pull with heroism we manage to bring him to 75% more or less in the said 5-6 stacks.

Will try again this evening or next week (very likely we won't raid today), then post results.
    How many meles are in your raidcomp? On our first kill it was only me (a rogue) and we did it with 2 heals because there was no other way to bring all its health down.
    Try to make the first BL phase last a lot more and also the one where he eats the water/ice prisoner through defensive raid cds, healing cds, etc. Try to make the one where he turns green go away quickly (your healers will be overwhelmed by the dots, if you have a priest Mass Dispel helps a lot).
    Also, in interphases it was only me on the Jailor except if I was fixated, that acumulated for a lot of damage. If you see you are close to killing it when you enter the red phase, stack like any other phase and when he turns to blood frenzy phase it's the end race until he dies or you all get eaten.
    Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately we run usually a melee heavy comp due to ranged dps simply disappeared. Anyway last night we were 2 tanks 2 healers 3 melee and 3 ranged dps. I don't think mono tank strategy will suit us (a lot more damage required).

Will surely make present to RL about the normal/blue phases need to be pushed far as possible and less damage dealers on jailor. We moved melees on him but in fact he died pretty fast and we just pushed kite phase to 9/10 stacks - we absolutely need more damage on thok, we get to red phase with way too much health.

Our shamman healer came up with a brilliantly simple strat for extending fire phase longer for our melee. After a few seconds, he calls rotate, the tank strafes about 30 degrees to the right, the group does the same. We basically strafe kite him in a circle as a group allowing our healers to keep aoe heals on everyone longer without having people standing in fire.

yeah if you're taking 3 melee i would say have 1 of them (probably you as rogue) near full time on the boss and 1 of the other 2 switch off the jailor when it's around 15-20% hp and also attack the boss, that way you have more damage on him but the jailor will die a bit slower but that shouldn't be a real problem
    (also this is my own view on it :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
    Yeah... first couple kills, i was able to shadowstep to Thok during the kite phase. However, the last couple weeks, shadowstepping to him has just ended up killing me immediately. First time it happened, i thought it was just that I was moving forward at the time, and the couple seconds of increased speed from shadowstep made me run in front. But this past week, i made sure to not have any forward movement at all when i shadowstepped, and it still killed me.
    He needs to have a few stacks of his own movement speed buff and actually be in motion for it to work, so that he outruns your teleport landing. I think BoS does the job better here though.

Did some more tries yesterday evening, i just feel that we need to burn him down much faster than we do currently.

We are on a median 545 ilvl more or less. Should we go 3 or 2 healers? How do you manage the phase transitions? I think we can gain much more damage through this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    We three healed it I think made it easier for the healers as it made it easier to cover all of the raid when we were spread out, or if one of them got fixated etc (we are 10man - also none of our healers really have a strong dps o/s). I think that we'd get away with 2 healing it in the future. Currently we are all in the 545-550ilvl range. The last fire cell was where we took the most damage so I could see that if we got it down faster we'd spend less time (or skip it) in that phase. We tried to extend the first phase for as long as possible and blew everything at the start. Since we knew the fire door was going to be tough we wanted to make sure that by the time we got there we spent as little time in it as possible. When the fixate phase starts all range continue on the boss and the tank/melee all focus down the jailer. Once the jailer was dead I used ST on the boss. Once thok eats the prisoner tank re-positions everyone stacks to thoks side and repeat. I think our kill he was at roughly 20% by the time we got to the last cell. We'd had a few 1% style wipes just prior.

Sorry should also mention we used 1 tank (pally), 3 healers and 6 dps (3 melee, 3 range). I could see this fight being easier the more range you have because it's far easier/safer to keep dps on thok during the fixate phases.
    Last edited by Reinholder; 2013-10-08 at 10:52 PM.

We have more or less the same problems - we would like to drag the phases as long as possible, but at certain points you just need to switch; best attempt we got him at 35% more or less with the fire adds just coming out.

Definitely trying shuriken toss next time, the guard dies pretty fast. I only find annoying that when you open the cages, if Thok is very far it takes an awful lot for the prisoners to "taunt" him, and many times a fixated guy dies. I suppose we need to refine our strategy.
    We initially tried to extend the phases as long as possible (interrupt phase so melee had a chance to DPS, and kite phase so ranged had a chance...) but it became apparent pretty quickly that extending the kiting phase was a bad idea. We don't wait very long after the jailer is dead to open the cells. So, as a melee, there isn't a whole lot of time for me to DPS Thok during that phase anyway. I would say about 50% of the time I get fixated anyway.

We keep Thok in Phase 1 as long as possible, up to around 90-95 stacks of Acceleration, so our Rogue goes to town on him, ending usually top damage with 95% uptime on the boss.

90-95 stacks seems a little absurd, but hey, for what i know it can be possible.

Anyway, we tried it on flex so we could get a hand on mechanics - the tips were definitely helpful; we were in 14 people, 2 tanks and switched to 4 healers, phases lasted longer (not how much i supposed we could do) but enough to push him down to 12% before red phase and we scored the kill.

Anyway, flex has less damage and less HP, so i think nothing has been really solved - still it has been a good morale boost, i hope we can get a kill this week.

I believe he is talking about normal mode 10 man?
    Dropndestroy | i7-3770k 4.6Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature+ SLI | ASUS Maximus V Formula | G.Skill 16gb 2400 | AX850

90-95 stacks seems a little absurd, but hey, for what i know it can be possible.

Anyway, we tried it on flex so we could get a hand on mechanics - the tips were definitely helpful; we were in 14 people, 2 tanks and switched to 4 healers, phases lasted longer (not how much i supposed we could do) but enough to push him down to 12% before red phase and we scored the kill.

Anyway, flex has less damage and less HP, so i think nothing has been really solved - still it has been a good morale boost, i hope we can get a kill this week.
    I've seen 65 stacks before, 90-95 sounds pretty extreme, probably not advisable for a group working on the first kill. We pop all healing cool downs during the first phase to drag it out as long as we can cos then they are back up for the third door but I'm not sure how many stacks we are getting to. I know he's chain screeching like crazy.

I don't know what kind of gear they have in that video, but one thing's sure: we don't get healed that fast.

This will be a nice challenge for us - everyone needs to do their job (heal tank dps) well. I suppose we will take our time in getting the kill.

30 is max on heroic, after that everyone gets oneshotted.

To clarify, Method went with like 10 healers and had the boss to 20%ish in p1 after god knows how many stacks. A GM stepped in before they could get the kill on the boss and canceled their plan. After that it got fixed to max 30 on heroic, not sure about other difficulties.
    Last edited by Shinob1; 2013-10-11 at 09:58 AM.