Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legendaries should be part of an x amount of set gear that levels with the character. Oh and only one person is allowed to have the legendary items. So the only way you can get a legendary is to have been playing since launch. Still playing. Chosen the specific class that the legendary was custom made for. Be both lucky and skilled enough to get the items necessary to make the legendary. And finally be either an orc or a human as those are the only ones that the legendary should be usable by. So class and race would also factor into this. Only by doing all of this, will people stop bitching about too many people getting legendary items. Also if the person with the legendary items quits playing nobody on that server will be able to get the legendary items. One person, per server, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    Could I get a Legendary during Cata? No, raiding as the wrong class, a Paladin.
    Could I get a Legendary during Wrath? I didn't raid during Wrath.
    Could I get a Legendary during TBC? No, raiding as the wrong class, a Priest.
    Could I get a Legendary during Vanilla? Yes! Oh wait, no, even though I raided Naxx 40 (as a priest) from the day it was released until 2 weeks before TBC we only go enough shards to make 1 staff.

I'm happy that after all this time I was able to get a Legendary that didn't require me to be raiding as a certain class or get a really really low drop item.
    That's beside the point. You support the interclass legendary not the LFR epic(it is an orange epic not legendary sorry).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canderous1 View Post
    i like how the legendary cloak was done in this expansion. why make something like that and just automatically exclude most of the people who play the game? it was a long quest, it took some time and effort.

i would propose to blizzard that in the next expansion when they have a quest like this, you can avoid the mass qq'ing by simply changing the name of the item from orange color to purple color. oh yea, please dont call it legendary, just call it epic. most of the players who have the cloak could care less what color the name is or if its 'epic' or 'legendary'.

oh and yea, please make something that only 1 person on the server will ever be able to get so people can fight over being a rockstar.
    HAHAHAHAHA the people who would cry bloody murder right now if we made the cloak purple instead of orange are

1) the very people who claim they don't care about color

or

2) the LFR/barely normal flex mode heroes who feel speshul now

The two can be the same person.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Legendary Cloak was the carrot to make people do their expansion-long quest chain that tied the story and raids together, via Wrathion. It is an excellent experiment in story-telling that hasn't been accomplished in WoW thus far. MoP has had a lot of pitfalls from a gameplay/enjoyment perspective, but overall as a cohesive experience it has been the best. It's the attunement quests from TBC that everyone begged to have back, but instead of using it to gate content, they used it go give access to great self-buffs and items. I couldn't be happier with the Legendary Questline and rewards, and I hope they refine their model and use it more going forwards. I'd love to see the quests start when the expansion starts, instead of at max level. How much more immersive would it have been to have seen and interacted with Wrathion a few times on the level up, only to realize later that he guided and coerced you into going where he needed you to go, so you became what he needed you to become. There's your depth of story.

Imagine if certain events in TBC tied together with great lead-in quests. Kael'thas dropping that crystal into HFP, Vashj draining Zangarmarsh. The cultists in Auchindoun and the Blood Elves in Netherstorm. Instead of random and seemingly unlinked encounters, they could have used a longer story questline to bring all these events together, to see Illidan's master plan. The same can be said of Wrath. Sure you see Arthas here and there, and the Grizzly Hills/Zul'Drak connections are actually really good, but what if levelling up through Northrend gave you a clearer glimpse of Arthas' strategy, and the raids we did were to help thwart it directly, instead of just picking off whatever targets were available. Draw the raids into the story instead of being just what's there.

Oops, sidetracked.

TL;DR: The Legendary is to make people do the story quest. The story quest is what made MoP good, and I hope they continue in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Yes actually it is. Everyone on this planet can and should make over a million dollars. They just have to put in the effort to get there. Same as putting in the effort to get a legendary.
    Actually if you spread out the total currency and capital wealth of the world evenly everyone would only have about $2900, so that's not really true.

Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    Actually if you spread out the total currency and capital wealth of the world evenly everyone would only have about $2900, so that's not really true.
    You forget the part where we can print more money?

And besides, you're missing the point. The point is that if someone wanted too they could make over a million dollars. You just need the drive to do it. I'd love to make over a million a year but I'm to lazy to actually do it. Bill Gates on the other hand isn't to lazy and thus he does it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    making the legendary such a long grind only penalises returning subscribers who feel they cannot catch up and will therefore be at a disadvantage for a very long time and may infact just give up
    How is that any different from the Firelands staff? Anyone who returned to the game could never compete with them unless they went and started the grind.

It's called an incentive to NOT quit the game. I can't see why it's such a problem. You get rewarded for.. playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Legendary quests should never have been doable in LFR. Im hoping with flex around now if they decide to follow a similar path next expansion it will only be Flex/normal/heroic since they'll never make it be "heroic content only" as legendaries should be.
    Agreed. I'm all for everyone seeing the content through easier difficulties, but the difference between LFR, Flex, Normal Heroic should be gear, the fact that you can get an item that out performs the best heroic gear from LFR is a little strange.

Not really sure how they would have implemented this though, having people work through the questline w/o the legendary reward while still enabling them to complete things on the other difficulties to get the reward if they feel so inclined.

I'd love to make over a million a year but I'm to lazy to actually do it.
    I'm sorry if I sound skeptical, but is that really the only thing stopping you?

HAHAHAHAHA the people who would cry bloody murder right now if we made the cloak purple instead of orange are

1) the very people who claim they don't care about color

or

2) the LFR/barely normal flex mode heroes who feel speshul now

The two can be the same person.
    The people I most hear bemoan gear color are normal raiders, who think LFR should reward blues.

The issue I most have with this discussion is the assumption that everyone who runs LFR must be some kind of mouth-breather, whereas normal-modes and up are without exception WoW pros who min-max for 0.1% increase and know their classes up, down, and sideways. The generalizations are just astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    Oh rubbish, first off the amount of time needed to put in is one of the challenges. Most people will not get this legendary because they don't have the dedication needed to get it. Second, its not like the other legendry's took any sort of skill from the individual either, just time and nice friends.
    Third, why on earth should I pat my back for getting a virtual cloak with a orange name? That's just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yea not the final thing, my bad.
    The fight against the Black prince
    I already detailed in another post how getting warglaives which people claim were just a drop was harder and required more labor than the current legendary. For the current legendary you had to do 2 battlegrounds, kill an elite, do the celestial trial and maybe you can count the coins part. Every other quest involved something you were already doing. It took ZERO dedication or extra time really. Claiming titan runestones or secrets of the empire took any time or dedication is humorous since they dropped from.... omg bosses in your current tier. Valor took time or dedication? Oh wait you got it from clearing raids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post

The people I most hear bemoan gear color are normal raiders, who think LFR should reward blues.

The issue I most have with this discussion is the assumption that everyone who runs LFR must be some kind of mouth-breather, whereas normal-modes and up are without exception WoW pros who min-max for 0.1% increase and know their classes up, down, and sideways. The generalizations are just astounding.
    You misunderstood the point. The people who WOULD cry about the color changing downwards are the same people who say "why do you care about the color so much". If we made LFR drop blues the LFR bads would cry bloody murder all day when they had previously said they didn't care about color or ask the above stated question. They use the color argument when if it were switched they would demand their color back.

In regards to the mouth breathers, the people who aren't mouth breathers in LFR are either running normal/heroic or weird(like myself atm wasting my time with just LFR and galavanting around the isle when I could easily get into a raiding guild). Casuals can EASILY EASILY EASILY clear normal and some parts of heroic. Don't ever try to say otherwise. It is not casual vs hardcore it is goods vs bads.
    Last edited by purebalance; 2013-10-04 at 06:26 PM.

Yes actually. If I wasn't I'd study every day to better myself so I could get promoted at work and up the ranks until I make the money. It all boils down to your drive. Or I could study all the time until I came up with the next great invention.

What separates the top tier raiders from the rest of us? Skill. And how do you get skill? Time and practice. And how do you make time and practice? With your drive and motivation. Same for Tiger Woods and golf or anyone about anything. If you've got the motivation and the drive to pursue it you can do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    How is that any different from the Firelands staff? Anyone who returned to the game could never compete with them unless they went and started the grind.
    I'm not saying its different. I know plenty of people who got their firelands staff mid dragon soul. My gripe is that when you are a returning player and you feel penalised by a fairly large margin for not having something that everyone else has... it can suck, and when it takes so long to grind it can feel like a barrier to entry. Then couple with it that you (correct me if i'm wrong) cant do Ordos world boss without a cloak etc. It's just lame.

I get that the cloak is a reward for the subscribers who stuck it out with the game, but when a heroic raider who quits at the end of T14 comes back for Siege and feels like they cant get into a heroic guild because they are months behind on a legendary it is super lame, why bother. just come back next expansion. Money blizz loses on and one less person to game with in game.
    Hi

I'm glad I got the cloak. It feels kinda cool to have an item that feels a little OP. But the grind to get it was kinda lame. They could have come up with more interesting grinds to do. I think a potential solution to the gripe felt by a lot of raiders would have been to keep the cloak epic quality just of a much higher level, then put one final grind within normal+ content to upgrade the cloak to an epic version.

Yes actually. If I wasn't I'd study every day to better myself so I could get promoted at work and up the ranks until I make the money. It all boils down to your drive. Or I could study all the time until I came up with the next great invention.

What separates the top tier raiders from the rest of us? Skill. And how do you get skill? Time and practice. And how do you make time and practice? With your drive and motivation. Same for Tiger Woods and golf or anyone about anything. If you've got the motivation and the drive to pursue it you can do anything.
    Maybe this is true for your circumstances? I can tell you that most people, regardless of how hard they work or devote themselves, will never make $1M/year. And studying all the time will not necessarily yield a great invention. But all that is besides the topic here.

In regards to the mouth breathers, the people who aren't mouth breathers in LFR are either running normal/heroic or weird(like myself atm wasting my time with just LFR and galavanting around the isle when I could easily get into a raiding guild). Casuals can EASILY EASILY EASILY clear normal and some parts of heroic. Don't ever try to say otherwise. It is not casual vs hardcore it is goods vs bads.
    I think you are misunderstanding me here. I am not making a casual vs. hardcore argument; my argument is that not everyone in LFR is terrible (people like yourself, and I like to think myself run LFR rather than join a guild), and not everyone in a raid guild is a Simcraft-quoting chart-topping monster.

You'll never be a unique snow flake, who really cares if everyone can get a legendary? At least in this expac, regardless of class. Example, when I hardcore raided in WotLK as a Tank DK, There were so many people in front of me to get Shadowmorne, even though I could have used it too.

This expac was a legendary "solo" adventure as you quested with Wraition. Come next year, no one will care about your oranges, just like no one cares if you got daggers from the last expac.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Maybe this is true for your circumstances? I can tell you that most people, regardless of how hard they work or devote themselves, will never make $1M/year. And studying all the time will not necessarily yield a great invention. But all that is besides the topic here.
    Then they are pushing themselves enough. You're right this is off topic so we should stop but whether you want to believe it or not anyone can do anything if they put their mind too it. If you're not succeeding where you want you are not pushing yourself as far as you need to, to make it possible. And that's the bottom line.

Rag in his vanilla form wouldn't be in a Vanilla LFR, just like bosses today are different in LFR than in normal modes. I was against the changes to Nazgrim, because I don't think LFR should cater to people who can't bother to follow a basic mechanic, but it is what it is.

I'd have no problem with people getting Frostmourne the same way the cloaks were rewarded. Why should I? My level of fun in WoW is not dependent on my gear level measured against everyone else's.

This is like saying Dragonwrath was a joke because the final quest just required you to talk to someone. If you completely ignore the the quests and tasks leading up to the legendary cloak quest, then yes, killing the Celestials and gathering 5k coins was pretty easy.

In a game where people compete against each other for gear (at lest for me on pvp servers), obtaining gear is a very important thing. It's a major mechanic in WoW. Giving awesome gear that takes very little effort devalues the gear of others. As for Dragonwrath, you had to do Firelands on normal, no LFR, that's the big difference.

Now with this current legendary, if you take out the LFR you are left with a few things. The first, winning 2 battle grounds. Does that seem like a legendary accomplishment? Especially with considering how long bg's have been in the game. Another, you 3 man an elite (I solo'ed it, but you get the idea).... we used to just call this "regular questing". Then there's the celestial challenge, which I know a bunch of people are going to say was insanely hard but let's get real here, nobody was stuck on this thing for more than an hour, and a lot killed it on the first attempt. At no point was there anything that really caused the player to try hard or think outside the box, which is why within an hour of the patch hitting, 200 people on my server had the cloak lol.

Yes actually it is. Everyone on this planet can and should make over a million dollars. They just have to put in the effort to get there. Same as putting in the effort to get a legendary.
    Not everyone can make a million dollars. I know people that try so hard and can't get things done. There's a wealth distribution for a reason.

Saying you should study until you come up with a new invention is ridiculous. You just have to use your brain and figure out a solution to a problem or come up with something that makes life easier.

This legendary didn't require effort, only time.

Legendaries like Tarecgosa Staff and Shadowmourne where good legendary models, and we should return to that until a better solution is presented. Only Normal modes and heroics should drop frags for legendary, with heroics dropping more shards/fragments.

Flex should be used to teach mechanics and for casuals.

Def. of Casuals: people who can't schedule wow around their daily lives. (I fall in here.)
    Def. of Shitters = bad kids
    Shitters !=(in c++ means don't equal) Casuals

Blizzard has stated they want more people to try normals. They have what they need in place to do this now, just needs organization. Incentives to doing normals and heroics should be a legendary, with heroic raiders getting them earlier on compared to normal raiders.

Harder to get = people coming back and playing. Takes more time to get the item and when you get it you have a sense of accomplishment. Why do you think so many people played back during bc and wotlk? Sure it was new to some people, but you also had to work to get something that not a lot of people could get due to lack of effort and drive. You felt like you achieved something, similar to a realm first feeling.

The legendary this expansion was like getting your first epic item from a raid for an alt. It was underwhelming. Why should I come back and play when I just can que up and play with people that can't listen and follow simple steps? Why I only stayed for less than a week after 5.4 came out.

I'm bored. There's nothing fun to work for anymore. Dailys this expansion where one of the worst things this expansion. I don't even do them. I don't have time for Normal+ raiding, I don't wanna deal with people that don't know how to play their class in LFR and Flex, and I'm bored of leveling alts. Pvp sucks now, with arms warriors, unholy Dks, and affliction locks all OP as hell. Oh and all monks, if you know how to play them. No classes feel unique. Everyone has a bunch of abilities that use to make other classes unique. Exm: Pallys have fear now when talented. CC in pvp is dumb as hell, which can last for 20 seconds if you can't trink and etc. Cc was good for PvE only at the start of cata, when heroics where fun.

People like a challenge. Why it was really fun to level before cata.

So to sum everything up, crying about how you pay $15 a month and you think you should be able to see everything the game has to offer is a load of bullshit. What happens when you cry so hard and get what you want, then get bored shortly after? Just because you wanna take the easy way out doesn't mean the game should be made easier. Same should apply to the legendaries. If Blizzard wants to save WoW from staying around 5 - 6 million subs, they need to stop catering to the QQer's and lazy people.

I know I forgot some stuff I was also going to say, but when I do remember or someone else brings something up, I will make another post.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

I included all legendary possibilities in my idea. What's the problem? Both parties get what the want. Or is it really that important that it remains less versatile.

10+ Year Old Account
    If LFR doesn't have it i would hope only heroics can do it...seems incredibly unfair to limit lfr but still allow flex...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    So to sum everything up, crying about how you pay $15 a month and you think you should be able to see everything the game has to offer is a load of bullshit.
    no, it's not bullshit... if you pay for something you expect the whole content of that!
    if you get bored after you got some loot THIS is your own fault... and catering to the "QQer's" as you said is where the money is.
    the hardcore raiders can raid heroic modes and get better gear that way if they care so much for that.

You guys seriously. Step back a second and understand that it's not just casuals but hardcore and in between that make up wow. One of these groups will not carry wow.