Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    I was having a night of nostalgia and was stalking wow progress to see if any of the people I used to raid with daily still played.

What impressed me is the world ranking we were getting back then compared to the ranking we get now.
    More specifically we were top1600 worldwide in TBC as opposed to top6000 now.

The question that popped up immediately was did the game actually become harder after all these years? And that what I'd like to discuss.

For your own agenda, what ranks did you get in TBC as opposed to nowadays?
    My guild has been about the same except we were 25 then.
    Always around the 400 mark NA no idea world rank.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't even compare because they are basically two different things, Some things are harder some things a easier. The games has evolved, stop comparing apples to oranges and move on.

TBC had more to do than just raiding and dailies as well. Faction grinding, attunements. Heroic instance farming. Remember too that some BiS gear could be found in heroic dungeons as well. So there were less raiders as well due to additional stuff to do and due to lack of raiding options. You still need to compare the Nerf schedules as well. They nerfed heroics hard early on in TBC and sunwell was arguably one of the hardest raids ever pre Nerf.

In a nutshell, lack of raid options and increased out of raid content really bring down the raid numbers. Plus I'm sure the attunements and gearing through the harder heroics in TBC added to that as well when it came to gearing for raids

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    It got harder in wrath. Heroic LK is harder then anything in BC. And please don't count broken bosses. The game is ALOT harder then it ever was.
    It got WAY easier in Wrath. . . All but maybe 3 bosses were easy. Yogg+0 was probably harder than anything in TBC; I would hesitate to say Heroic Lich King because a great part of the perceived difficulty was the huge gear check.

The game is easier than ever before.

Only raiding has gotten harder, anything else has gotten more convient, faster and easiere.

Bad game design when the only thing to challenge you with are few things inn the entire game imo.

Yes, there exsist terrible grinds inn the game just as back then, but that can't really be said is challenging kinda.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

People are seriously getting difficult and overtuned/broken confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have pointed out, raid bosses on non-easy modes are tactically more difficult, although they tend to lack the raw hitting power of older raid bosses. Everything else is much easier.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Let's see...

Attunments....gone
    Requiring CC....gone
    Tanks worrying about threat....gone
    Resist gear....gone

Just to name a few reasons why things are easier

The game has gotten much easier since TBC, too easy IMO. The only part where you could debate it is with heroic modes, everything else tho is a lot easier tho IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of raids i think mop is harder than tbc,especially mechanic wise. If we assume that tbc raids are on level of today heroic content.

However tbc was also brutal in any other activity such as 5 mans,accesability to raiding,leveling etc, so if we talking about game as a whole then tbc is harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    yeah more people are raiding because lfr which i don't consider raiding. Half the ppl are either afk or doing no dmg while 2-4 ppl pull retarded amounts of dmg and carry the raid.
    hahahah! Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    Let's see...

Attunments....gone
    Requiring CC....gone
    Resist gear....gone

Kiting gone (ubrs)
    slows gone
    snares gone

all that's left is raids. The rest is meaningless snorefest grind because it's so easy.
    Hell, healing in elemental ftw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    The game has gotten much, much easier. Going from hour-long-wipe-fest heroic 5 mans in BC, to 15 minute roll-your-face-on-keyboard-easy heroic 5 mans in the last 3 expansions. Normal raids in BC were like heroic raids nowadays.

Not saying that getting easier is worse for the the game or anyone playing it.

I don't really know what I ranked world wide, but server I was always number one by a large margin.
    Wrong, try comparing the tactics now to TBC and tell me the same thing. It's a load of shit. Players have gotten better, guilds have recruited better players, took the game more seriously & raided a shit ton more hours than back in TBC. Use your brain. Method have probably spent more hours on Lei Shen HC progression in thoughs few days than you probably have raided this entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiz View Post
    Short answer, yes. Long answer, no.
    Which is wrong, because "yes" has one more letter compared to "no".

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Hydross, Shahrazz, and maybe A'lar if your tanks were otherwise squishy.
    Also for Flame tanks on Illidan.

Sunwell was rather hard raid, but highly dependent on raid composition.

But heroic raid are much harder now imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    In TBC you could farm heroic dungeons and get gear from there, then also buy a tonne of gear with badges (now points) and be easily ready to raid entry level raids such as kara and whatever. In MoP to gear you had to go out and complete dailys for over 9000 different factions for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE in order to unlock the ability to use he same points (which you also had to farm up ontop of the other farming) in order to buy any gear of the entry level gear.
    To even ACCESS heroic dungeons in TBC you had to be revered with specific faction. By running normal over.. and over.. and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    Let's see...

Attunments....gone
    Requiring CC....gone
    Resist gear....gone

As a tank back in the days i never ever worried about threat, except for healers maybe.

Deleted
    I would say the game became incredibly easier

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I would say the game became incredibly easier
    I would say it was never that hard to begin with.

Game is harder than ever but players are also better. Just all there is to it.

And no you can't say overall the game is easier because 5mans (lol) were harder in TBC or Cata or what...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    I would say it was never that hard to begin with.
    true, was more time consuming - 2hr dungeons YAWN

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    There was a very big noticable difference between tanks back in the days too.

You had 90% of the tanks that sucked, 8% that knew how to use their mitigation abilities properly ... and then the rare 2% that were also good at generating high threat. Majority of the people in TBC probably never got to see a 'master' tank in their lifetime, but as a top raidguild back then you clearly got to see the huge skillgaps between tanks. If your tank was really really good your raid could go full out on the DPS race. If he was mediocre (like 98% of the tanks in raidguilds were back then) you had your DPS often having to hold back and content also was much harder then...

The game probably was much more skill-based back then too if I've to think of it, it's much easier to master your class nowadays. Most of these things that were part of the gameplay were considered as inconvenience and 'not fun' at a later point. Such as having to keep an eye on threat levels etc.
    As a druid tank in BC there were not that many migration skills to begin with... I still managed to tank the entire content, successful