Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

What is wrong with having Alts to get access to more professions?

Making and playing Alts is a fun aspect of the game, and extends the life of WoW as there is always something new to try. Part of the fun of alts, and one of the perks, is you can get yourself access to more professions and the benefits they bring, and so between your characters, you can become quite self sufficient. It also acts as an incentive to work together with friends/guildies. In small guilds, it is rewarding to be able to cover every professions between 2-4 players and feels like you are helping each other out. As a last resort, all services can be paid for with gold and use of the AH.

Yet from one GC's latest tweets, he seems to think there is something wrong with this setup. Surely if we could have every profession on every character this would be a ridiculous simplification of the game. Not to mention the profession perks would have to be reduced or even removed. And would everyone have engineering gadgets?

Thoughts?

I agree. I don't really see the problem with the current profession set up.

I think they want to encourage trading, which is far too late really to change the way we play.

It's always annoyed me how Transmute Alchemists tie into so many professions, but instead of paying other players for their CD's it was easier to make my own. This type of "anti-social" play is what I presume they wish to discourage, but I think it's too late in the game for that.

Even Spirits of Harmony haven't been much (if any) of a deterrent for me as the professions/CD's I use my alts foe don't rely on them.

Deleted
    Man if they remove the profession on alts I'm gonna rage so bad! I leveled all the alts just for the professions, nothing else! And seriously, it's not many people who have profession alts, since I still make tons and tons of thousands of gold every day selling trade goods, gems, enchants, glyphs, ...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Professions can be extremely frustrating on a low-pop server with its dead AH and /2, if you don't have a bunch of profession alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    I think they want to encourage trading, which is far too late really to change the way we play.

It's always annoyed me how Transmute Alchemists tie into so many professions, but instead of paying other players for their CD's it was easier to make my own. This type of "anti-social" play is what I presume they wish to discourage, but I think it's too late in the game for that.

Even Spirits of Harmony haven't been much (if any) of a deterrent for me as the professions/CD's I use my alts foe don't rely on them.
    I agree on your "anti-social" thing, but how would this encourage trading?

Making it so easy to level alts and other things, of course people found out it would be more efficient to just have their own alt for an extra daily CD.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post

Yeah I am sitting on over 250 Spirits right now across a bunch of alts and by and large I have no use for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Professions can be extremely frustrating on a low-pop server with its dead AH and /2, if you don't have a bunch of profession alts.
    But if you do have all the bases covered, seven or eight maxed out farms, and some time on your hands you can completely take over your AH from the usual overpricing, one-copper-undercutting, circle jerk of wanna-be robber barons. I've put many of them out of business on my server/faction, and the economy is picking up because of that.

Because alts are supposed to be about trying new classes (don't understand people rolling the same class again) not about trying new professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas the Priest View Post
    But if you do have all the bases covered, seven or eight maxed out farms, and some time on your hands you can completely take over your AH from the usual overpricing, one-copper-undercutting, circle jerk of wanna-be robber barons. I've put many of them out of business on my server/faction, and the economy is picking up because of that.
    Well, I mostly make gold from one toon that is devoted to resale, and selling various valuable things I've stumbled onto.

Lei Shen treasure runs 8x/week is a good source of a little extra gold, and a surprising amount of Harmony (2-3 spirits per run more or less).

I use my profession alts mostly to make my own gear, and to crank out easy things that sell reliably like the expensive enchants and metas, and occasionally pieces of raid pattern gear.

On the surface, nothing is wrong with it.

Below that, it helps players dependency on each other as a community, and also removes another aspect of decision making on the part of the player.

I'm sure professions will get an overhaul, and I'm sure it will be a dumb-down under the guise of 'streamlining'

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    On the surface, nothing is wrong with it.

Below that, it helps players dependency on each other as a community, and also removes another aspect of decision making on the part of the player.

I'm sure professions will get an overhaul, and I'm sure it will be a dumb-down under the guise of 'streamlining'
    I would like to see crafting be a source of meaningful gear once again, but Blizzard seems to think it just shouldn't work that way. So if professions are going to be dumb like they mostly are now, it's fine if they are dumbed down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Because alts are supposed to be about trying new classes (don't understand people rolling the same class again) not about trying new professions.
    Not really, if that was the case you could only have one class per realm and funny enough, they actually removed Death Knight cap not that long ago, now all of a sudden having alts for professions is wrong? Why did they remove the Death Knight cap then? Or better yet, why was there no class cap at the start?

People can say what they want, but this is an alternative character and also Trading and Auction House is one of the reason why MMOs are so engaging, I know someone who actually plays the AH game and then buys his gear from full clear heroic guilds. So instead of spending all those hours in raids he just waits and makes gold on the AH with his many alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Says who?

Alts for professions is a great thing.

Because IMO unless the profession system is given some serious revamps, it's nothing but a time waster to level from scratch.

I love being self-sufficient, in having all professions maxed out. I hate spamming trade for an hour+, looking to have something crafted, enchanted, etc. or even having to buy an extremely over-priced item on the ah.

There's nothing wrong with the way it works now. If someone dedicated the time to level another character just for a profession, they should be allowed to do that. I think total I have BS, JC, Alch, and Inscription. I also have herbalism and mining.. but I don't waste my time with those. It's awesome being able to supply myself with most of the things I need. That being said, I recently transferred to Illidan, and then to Mal'ganis. So at this point I just have JC/Inscription on Mal'ganis, which is annoying, but not game breaking.

Blizzard is probably doing their standard "lets blow something that's fine way out of proportion and then break the design." Similar to what they did with trinkets, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    what was the tweet?

I made a Druid for Herbing in BC, made it an Elixir Master because people were charging and arm and a leg for Flasks. Wrath comes around, leveled up my DK with JC and Inscr after seeing the prices of Gems and Glyphs so I figured I'd make my own and save a ton. Come Mists, I ended up leveling a Tailor, Alchemist, Leatherworker, Skinner, Herbalist, Miner, Blacksmith, JC and several Engineers because I refused to pay extortionate prices on my server's AH (Anachronos-EU, Alliance) and again on my PvP server (Outand-EU, Horde).

If they made it so that we actually have to trade with others there'd be an outrage. Oddly enough, one of the Blues did acknowledge the point that leveling a profession from 1-600 (And further) is something that needs to be looked at, since you just follow a guide and get X of this, that and the other and you're maxed. Barely anyone uses anything from crafting except for Inscription and occasionally JC to fill in jewelry slots so all the shit you make feels like a waste. I wouldn't be surprised to see an overhaul professions at some point to either go back to Vanilla levels where many profession plans required materials from professions, which would serve to increase the value of other professions <600 as well as to make the profession leveling more intuitive with people actually using what they make.

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    what was the tweet?
    I assume this is the one:

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...39308781170688