Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Much has been said about the right food and how important it is to move yourself. All true.
    For me, one point that kept me going, was that I do stuff, that I can measure. I had an excelsheet diary, in which I tracked my weight every day (same time), I kept my food, I kept my activity, and I had a comment section, well for comments if the day had any twists (parties, and stuff like that). After a while, I saw my progress by numbers, and my excelsheet looked awesome, due to a Trafficlight rating system for my calorie intake, and some nice charts for weightloss and stuff like that. Play with it!

When hard days come, and they come, you just have to think how crappy your charts would look like the next day. Well helped me, maybe it can help you. Either way, keep it up man! Master your will!

Eat healthy and work out. Very simple. Cardio is your friend, also.

It really is simple. Stop drinking soft drinks, cordial etc. Stop eating fried foods and do a little bit of cardio and it melts away.

Right wrong or indifferent, I have some advise for you that you may be willing to accept. If not, then no problem.

My first suggestion is to look online, or at a local bookstore, for Arnold Schwarzeneggers Encyclopedia of Modern Day Body Building. This book is not only about body building and will give the basics to anyone who is willing to read through the manual on proper diet, weightlifting techniques, workout routines, and sleep.

The first thing to do when you wake up is to drink a full 8 oz glass of water. This will help kickstart your metabolism.

Excercise 4-5 times per week. This can include walking on a treadmill for 40 minutes each session. I prefer to walk at about 3.5-4.5 miles per hour with an incline of 4-12. I generally suggest to not walk any shorter than 20 minutes. Include a weight lifting routine, which if a beginner, can include full body work outs 2-3 times per week. I am willing to provide sample workout programs based on your learners level in weight lifting.

Eat several small meals a day (when I say small I mean anywhere between 400-700 calories per meal). Eating 6-8 times a day is how to kick start your metabolism. The more you put in, within reasonable intervals, the more your metabolism will work. By the end of a month your metabolism will be working much faster than it probably is now. I will give you some examples of food / meal ideas. I am not an expert on this, but these meals have worked for me. I generally avoid "fad" diets and I must say in my experience the "no carb" diets can be potentially harmful to you in the long run. Your body needs the carbohydrates, both complex and simple, for daily activities and muscle building.

- Breakfast -
    Example 1 - 4 Egg whites, 1 whole egg(I generally eat whole eggs, but I have a completely different body build then you) along with 2 slices of whole wheat or ezikel toast. Pass on the butter and instead season the eggs with pepper and hot sauce . (Remember, heavy toppings such as ranch or blue cheese, on food is the quickest way to add un needed calories to your diet and unnecessary sugars)

Example 2 - 1/2 cup to 1 whole cup old fashioned oatmeal. I generally put 1 TBSP all natural peanut butter and cinammon into the mix. I also add 2 pieces of whole wheat or ezikiel break, once again pass on the butter.

Example 3 - 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, with a serving of protein powder and skim milk.

Lunch - Example 1 - 1 can white albacore tuna, seasoned with pepper and a low sugar BBQ sauce. Include a bannana, apple, or pear with this meal.

Example 2 - 12 oz Chicken or Turkey breast with green beans or choice of green vegetable. Pepper seasonings are ok, but avoid too much salt.

Dinner - Example 1 - 8 oz lean steak or fish with 1 red potato and 1 green vegetable

Example 2 - 1/4 pound turkey hamburger with a green vegetable or fruit

I always hear that you shouldn't eat before you go to bed. In my experiences that is completely wrong and your metabolism still is running, even while you sleep (although it may slow down drastically). Generally before bed eating some sort of slow digesting protein is the best route, such as a cottage cheese or a cassein protein supplement.

Remember, set goals! Do not only set major goals. Major goals are great and have a place, but short term goals are how you stay motivated. An ultimate goal may be to lose 50 lbs, but set a goal to lose at least 2 pounds of weight each month for 6 months. (If you are doing any training with weights, do not expect to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week, but more realistically 1-2 pounds per 2 weeks).

Allow one "cheat meal" per week. And when I say that, I mean go for that 1/4 lean hamburger that has been sounding good. Have a legitimate meal that still has nutritional value to it, but do not go overboard.

Don't focus on the scale. The scale can be great, but it doesn't indicate success. How you feel is how you can judge success. When you look in the mirror and can see a difference is much better than looking at a number, that is well, just a number.

My suggestion on the soda is to not cut it out completely right away. They now make cans that are 8 oz rather than 12 oz. Try drinking 1-2 of these per day until you can cut the soda out completely. If your feeling really hungry before a meal, drink a glass of water before you eat.

Hopefully some of this advice is helpful.

Hi. You've gotten alot of responses in this thread. Some simple laws to live by regardless of which path you choose.

1. You can't exercise out of a bad diet. It's easy to eat 1000 calories, it's hard as fuck to force burn 1000 calories.
    2. All weight reduction is simply eating less. No matter what you do, it will include getting less calories than you need.

That said I'm a proponent of low carb diets. They're not for everyone. But I've been insulin resistant my whole life, and this was the one thing that really helped me out.

Here is some links, read them if you wish. Follow them exactly if you choose.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

If you don't choose to follow low carb, then at least please stay away from refined sugars, trans fats, and poly unsaturated fats. Your arteries/liver/kidneys will thank you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacker View Post
    That said I'm a proponent of low carb diets. They're not for everyone. But I've been insulin resistant my whole life, and this was the one thing that really helped me out.
    Almost anyone who goes on a Diabetic-related diet is going to lose weight.

In fact, I propose coming up with a catchy name for it and selling it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    The important thing to remember is that you don't want to diet my friend you want a lifestyle change ...FOR LIFE or you will just get fat again ...check this video out it's well worth the long watch !

After you're done watching that video, you might want to watch this one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    there is no secret OP, other then eat less and move more.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    there is no secret OP, other then eat less and move more.
    Nah,
    eat less and smarter: I can make stuff so satisfying (to me, at least) that I still feel full from it the next morning. This would be a long discussion though...
    move more and smarter: There's walking, and then there's walking. Stand straight. Learn which muscles are involved, make them work a little harder, even though it's unnecessary for basic movement.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Nah,
    eat less and smarter: I can make stuff so satisfying (to me, at least) that I still feel full from it the next morning. This would be a long discussion though...
    There's also just learning what it's like to eat proper portions. You don't get to be 100% satiated at all waking hours without gaining weight (with the exception of some unusual diets that aren't really practical in the long run).

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's also just learning what it's like to eat proper portions. You don't get to be 100% satiated at all waking hours without gaining weight (with the exception of some unusual diets that aren't really practical in the long run).
    Absolutely. Portion sizes are completely ridiculous. I was out to eat with 2 other people yesterday, people who both share my ideas about how to eat. We ordered one appetizer and one entree. That was enough for all three of us, and there was enough left over to take home for another meal.

Also, balancing the portions is important. We (people in the US, anyway) tend to over-emphasize meat and carbs on the plate. A decent guideline is that your meal should be about 1/3 meat (or any protein), 1/3 carbs, and 1/3 vegetables or greens. And, as mentioned, smaller in size; the meat part of that should only be about 4 ounces for a regular meal.

I don't know, just my take on it. I'm not perfect with it at all times, but I try to keep it balanced like that.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Almost anyone who goes on a Diabetic-related diet is going to lose weight.

In fact, I propose coming up with a catchy name for it and selling it.
    But of course, insulin is one of, if not the primary regulator of fat storage in the body. Stay away from it, and eat under caloric maintenance. People act as if it was magic. <.<

As for the selling, I think you're too late. With Atkin's being bastardized after he died, and various fad marketers picking it up you'd have a hard time getting ahead.

Portions is a huge part of it. Eating normal sized proportions and then going out to eat is a surprising experience. On Halloween I went out on a dinner party. I couldn't even finish half the plate.

.1 Stop eating any types of refined sugar, even fruit can be detrimental, although it does have less fructose in it compared to refined sugars but it's still present.

.2 Drink lots of water

.3 Watch your calories

I recommend you watch some of Dr. Lustig's talks he has given at various universities on the detriments to sugar. He's a professor at UC, not some dipshit that has been kicked out of the scientific community.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldr45 View Post
    .1 Stop eating any types of refined sugar, even fruit can be detrimental, although it does have less fructose in it compared to refined sugars but it's still present.

.2 Drink lots of water

.3 Watch your calories
    I will immediately reject any diet that calls for abandoning anything. Yes, use less refined sugar. No, do not stop using it. Some of the healthiest, best tasting, most filling things I know how to make call for a tablespoon or two of sugar. Those two tablespoons? Still less than half of what's in a can of Coke or similar, and meant for about four people.

Yes, drink water. If you're not happy with plain water, add a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar (OMG!?), and a tiny dash of rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Almost like gatorade once you figure out the proportions.

Watch your calories, yes. But more importantly watch your mind and behavior. You can be full more quickly than you might think just by eating slower, for example.

Thanks for sharing information...

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldr45 View Post
    Watch your calories
    Yes, but macro-nutrients more so than calories. Not all calories are equal.
    Last edited by Velaniz; 2013-12-29 at 06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.