Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Any other clicker that plays with the standard Blizzard UI and is successful?

As a tank, I feel pretty crappy when I see images of other UIs, ones that look highly complex but I bet pretty helpful. I am also a clicker as melee (only when I play a ranged char I go with keybinds, go figure), but I do fairly well as a tank (right now Wave 32 on Endless with my DK). When I heal I don't click, but I still use the standard raid frames and that's where I heal. Am I alone in the world or are there more HC raiders who use the standard Blizzard UI and are ok with it?

Treckie used to click! But no, I don't know any heroic raiders who click anything but maybe pots.

Deleted
    Why handicap oneself on purpose?

Assuming here "Clicker = someone who clicks his/her main abilities instead of using hotkeys". I'm pretty sure most people have SOMETHING they haven't bound (like my cancel RF/ Cast RF macro as a prot paladin).

Never met a tank who clicked, but then again my fellow tanks have always been very stable, so my personal experience is limited (especially considering the amount of time I have spent tanking). As for DPS: I know (read: knew) some and they were never the best DPS in the raid. Some of them beat others on the meters and mechanics, but usually once you progress with a group of people through an entire expansion worth of raiding content, you see some faults which clickers cannot overcome.

So in short: in my experience it's not as bad as people claim it to be. Personal skill is still a far more important variable.
    But I do believe there's certain things clickers will never be able to do as fluently as keybinders. When it comes to tanking I would say this mostly falls into the category of picking up adds which spawn at random locations and intervals while you have to move. I've had a few of those fights (mostly due to error of someone else screwing up a mechanic, but that doesn't stop me from trying to save the attempt) and simply cannot imagine someone being fast enough to pick all of them up, while keeping aggro and avoiding all the "fires".

Destruction warlock in my raid is a 100% clicker, like he clicks every single spell on his screen from the cast bar. He does good dps still, but on heroic progression he definitely dies the most to mechanics and is definitely not someone we'd put in charge of handling an important mechanic. However, he's still good, really knows destruction and is consistently above 250k for single target fights and above 350-400k on heavy aoe fights like garrosh (500 to as much as 800k on the pull). I'd imagine he'd be incredible though if he played with keybinds instead, but he tried and didn't like it and said he played worse.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a clicker, Always have been, In the past 5years I've managed to keybind 2abilites per character, That's it, and most of the time I just click those too, I've had many people suprised I'm a clicker because I play very well, I'm no HC raider mind, raiding isn't my scene, I'd imagine there are more HC raiders that click, But ofcourse if you can keybind it will be quicker, I had a trial before when I applied for a PvP guild, that I would duel their resto druid and I'd have to interupt everyone one of his regrowth casts, which was a tiny cast because of his haste, as I had told them I click and they didn't think I could, yet I did, But I know that keybinding I could've gotten there a fraction quicker.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clicking most of my cooldowns and shit as maintank 10/14 normal mode. Default blizz user inferface. My guilds gear sucks really hard so thats why we struggle to progress further than thok, my clicking is not at fault, hehe. But we will start hc's right in time ^^

The game is perfectly visible and clear with standard bars, this is all just the new age macintosh generation talking, with its fad about being clean and pure and minimalistic.

Honestly I'm looking at some bars and don't even understand how people manage their abilities, all I see are 2-3 empty bars which don't appear to be doing anything, and the rest of the screen is completely empty of any useful information, just for the sake of being "clean".

I'm not a clicker but I've never had a problem with standard bars and frames.

I play as a hybrid where I both click and use the keyboard. A bit unorthodox but it works. I use the default UI with just a couple of add-ons. I honestly think on both issues there really is no right or wrong it's up to the user and their personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Blachshma View Post
    As a tank, I feel pretty crappy when I see images of other UIs, ones that look highly complex but I bet pretty helpful. I am also a clicker as melee (only when I play a ranged char I go with keybinds, go figure), but I do fairly well as a tank (right now Wave 32 on Endless with my DK). When I heal I don't click, but I still use the standard raid frames and that's where I heal. Am I alone in the world or are there more HC raiders who use the standard Blizzard UI and are ok with it?
    There is nothing wrong with clicking as a tank (despite what many will say and keybinding isn't exactly a boost for everyone due to personal preferences and such). I've done it since Vanilla as keybinding is uncomfortably awkward for me and the only time I can bind is on my healers. I've never had any issues when tanking and had many people in the guild thinking I binded everything. It mainly a matter of knowing where your buttons are by heart so you aren't "searching" them while tanking. You have to be able to stay focused on the screen and only glancing at your bars to make sure you have mouse in proper positions. A good set of macros help make it easier as well.

I do however on all my toons have my interrupt binded to one specific key along with a personal damage reduction cooldown (for when massive aoe goes out or something).

any kind of fight that requires target changes while moving will clearly show the difference between clickers and binders. you cannot use a mouseover while clicking your ui.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Because it takes a whole 2-3 days to get used to it. Wouldn't wanna spend 3 nights getting used to something that makes the entire game twice as easy would we.

My thoughts exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I play with a highly customized UI with lots of info on it as you've described. I also keybind fully. I would suggest you do the same in both regards. (Also I main a tank/dps.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why over-complicate your life with remembering which key does what?

I've always clicked and I've been relatively successful (when I played).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    There is nothing wrong with clicking as a tank (despite what many will say and keybinding isn't exactly a boost for everyone due to personal preferences and such). I've done it since Vanilla as keybinding is uncomfortably awkward for me and the only time I can bind is on my healers. I've never had any issues when tanking and had many people in the guild thinking I binded everything. It mainly a matter of knowing where your buttons are by heart so you aren't "searching" them while tanking. You have to be able to stay focused on the screen and only glancing at your bars to make sure you have mouse in proper positions. A good set of macros help make it easier as well.

I do however on all my toons have my interrupt binded to one specific key along with a personal damage reduction cooldown (for when massive aoe goes out or something).

i was much the same until mop, with many players just assuming I keybound. I am 100% better at what I do now that I bind 90% of my abilities. changing targets, taunting and applying abilities through mouseover are just a couple of the reasons why clicking for lack of a better description sucks and is not even in the same league as keybinding.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I have always used Keybinds, and Cannot play without Bartender. But up until Dragon Soul raid of last Xpac I couldnt play with a Mouse, I only used the Trackpad on my Laptop and was an arrow key mover. Now I cannot imagine playing without my 4 button mouse which I use for all movement.

Deleted
    Not sure if your question is about the Blizzard UI or clicking. But one thing is for sure, if I find out someone is clicking in my guild, he is instantly replaced in the raid. It's litterally like having a raid member not equipping a staff, reducing his damage by half, because he doesn't like to use weapons.

Tanking is the "simplest" role there is IMO (I tanked in a raiding environment from Kara to Firelands). While it requires more responsibility than say a DPS role, it's quite simple compared to healing or dps.

What do you consider "successful"? PG wouldn't really be a good basis for this IMO.

While I never condone clicking/keyboard turning for optimum performance, I had a Druid healer in my old guild who didn't use a mouse. She had everything keybound and played her keyboard like a piano. If I hadn't seen how well she performed in 10/25m HM raiding environments, I would have called bullshit. But she did it very successfully.

Not a clicker but I often play around with my UI and while I haven't done it yet, I'm tempted to try going with an extremely "thin" UI that uses most of the base UI and then some QoL addons. The main thing stopping me is that I would impose some rules for it being visually cohesive, such as:

* Must use the default Blizzard skins/fonts
    * All addons must match the look & feel of the default UI where possible

I think it could certainly be do-able, and would use very little addon memory and also would run less risk of addons stopping working when a major patch or expansion comes out.

I know in the Method videos released lately the PoV is from a Hunter that seems to use mostly the default UI with what appears to be BigWigs, MSBT, Gnosis and some kind of DoT tracking addon, so it's certainly possible to play at a high level with almost the standard UI.