Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Dont click but man i like blizz ui alot and yes tried to click but god no

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blachshma View Post
    As a tank, I feel pretty crappy when I see images of other UIs, ones that look highly complex but I bet pretty helpful. I am also a clicker as melee (only when I play a ranged char I go with keybinds, go figure), but I do fairly well as a tank (right now Wave 32 on Endless with my DK). When I heal I don't click, but I still use the standard raid frames and that's where I heal. Am I alone in the world or are there more HC raiders who use the standard Blizzard UI and are ok with it?
    I don't click skills, maybe some pots when I use them(which is rarely) and my mounts/profs... but I do use the Default UI, I just re-positioned my character's and target's portraits(which you can do with the default ui) as well as using raid interface for all groups and repositioned the raid UI to be closer to the center of the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodydemize View Post
    I basically have keys set to my first 4 abilities and click everything else, and I consider myself a very talented player, as long as I'm not messing up on mechanics, ranking on fights in world of logs, I could care less about my clicking, I find it the simplest and most comfortable.. I don't even have to try anyways like a lot of people here make it sound likes its a huge deal and you lose tons of damage by doing it which I hardly noticed, then again I have good eye to hand coordination and also play lots of FPS's so I can quickly move my mouse from one spell to the next easy, I even did a test with a friend watching me that I can do my basic rotation with my eyes closed because I am so used to the movement I have to make with my mouse that I click the correct icons around 85-95% of the time.

TL;DR I seriously see no problem with clicking, keyboard turning on the other hand..
    What you think is good... is actually bad in the eyes of a top 10 guild. 85-90%? Well 100% of the time I always get the right ability because there's no way I can press a key and have my keyboard interpret it as another ability. You might be able to click fast... but you're still slower than someone who just got used to keybindings. You can't move your mouse fast enough to the point where you're always on global CD... even if you played on 5000 dpi and never miss clicked, you'd still be slightly slower than someone who just started keybinding... trust me, I thought I was good when I clicked... I still killed people, I still do decent in normal/early heroic raiding... but the moment I made the transition to keybinding, I realized how easy the game is.

Throughout my raiding time, I've played with clickers who can do decent dps, but that doesn't make you a good raider. I'd still out dps those who clicked, but while they might be out dpsing others... when it came to boss mechanics, you could clearly see him keyboard turn out of mechanics and then run out... while everyone else is taking 1 tick from the mechanic, he's taking 3-4, which on a heroic encounter, will cause them to die.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    /cast spell with no gcd
    /cast spell with gcd

Complex?
    So I have to make two versions of every button on my bars so that I can cast guard at the same time as every GCD ability in my spell book?

And then purifying brew?

And then fort brew?

And then taunt?

And then elusive brew?

Avert harm?

Yeah no.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you click you are shit. Simple as. Sorry to tell you. Keybinding is vastly better and it has been proven over and over. You think you play good clicking? you will play amazing if you keybind.

As for UI. You can play fine with the normal UI as long as you have DBM/bigwings and atleast some kind of CD/DOT tracker. I am one who hates over complicated UIs. I use bartender because the blizzard ui is to big with its artworks so I just use one bar along the bottom of my screen. NeedtoKnow to track CDs and Dots. And DBM for a boss mod. That is about all you need.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Why handicap oneself on purpose?
    this regarding clicking.

you can easily achieve both rank 1 or a top20 pve rank with default UI.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a mix of clicker and keybinder. Used to only click (and I was pretty successful), now I use my 1234 abilities as hotkeys, but click everything else. It hasn't been a problem for me dps-wise or tank-wise, clickers get a bad wrap.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

10+ Year Old Account
    The clicking vs. keybinding argument will always boil down to a single question:

How performance/improvement minded are you?

Plenty of people who started as a clicker and moved to keybinding will tell you that they did improve as a player in the process. Personally I was clicking for about a year when I started in BC, and I went through this process where I eventually moved to keybinding (as a hunter back then):

lvl 1-60: 100% clicker, move camera using mouse between GCDs
    60-70: Bound steady shot macro to shift-mousewheel up and down, because I had dreams of becoming a raider when I hit max level and the forums said a steady shot macro bound to mouse wheel was a great way to fight latency.
    Raiding in TBC: no change
    Raiding in T7: Eventually added hawk/viper aspect switch macro to keyboard, dismiss/call/revive pet macros to mouse buttons 4 and 5
    Raiding in T8: Bought a Logitech G13 and went balls to the wall keybinder (and left thumb mover)
    Raiding in T14: Added a Corsair M90 to the mix for extra space.

Over time using the G13 I've optimised my usage of it, learnt to use more buttons/modifier combinations using it and figuring out my favoured UI makeup for utilising it (the final solution I arrived at was an exceedingly simple MoveAnything setup). The G13 is used for all action specific binds such as rotational abilities, interrupts, CCs, CDs, fight specific macros, etc etc etc. I added the mouse for more supplementary binds such as Jump (lol), voice, potion, mounts, resses and buffs.

On my monk at the moment, the only spell/macro that I have on a bar that is never used in a bound position is Zen Pilgramige. On my druid, I click Teleport Moonglade, and nothing else. And on my hunter, I have Call pet bound but I click the pet that I choose from the minibar that pops out when I hit Call pet.

Learning to keybind properly is just as arduous a process as learning to click amazingly is (and I thought I was a pretty good clicker), but as a performance/improvement minded player I'm always looking to up my game and moving to keybinding was simply a matter of removing obstacles in the way of playing my characters. There are measurable gains in the speed of performing the following actions:

- choosing individual targets via nameplate/world targeting and using abilities on them
    - the above but with mouseovering (recent examples include healing blobs on Immerseus and healer trial in Norushen)
    - ground targeted abilities
    - camera/character rotation
    - using abilities while mouseturning your character and moving
    - use of nonGCD and GCD abilities simultaneously
    - raid frame healing (Dispells!)
    - ability spamming in order to minimise the effects of latency (a must for people looking to minmax throughput)
    - interrupts
    - probably more

Some of these are millisecond gains but for a performance minded player every millisecond gained is a noticeable improvement especially when you measure all of those gains as one.

The G13 takes the gains a step further (imo) by freeing up your four fingers of the responsibility of movement and delegating it to the thumb, leaving them to be completely involved in the usage of keybinds.

In terms of UI, the most I need to play at my best is something to move my bars to the center, something to track CDs/DoTs/etc and boss mods. Everything else is analysis/QoL.

10+ Year Old Account
    UI doesnt matter much as long as its not affecting your FPS because it is hogging resources. You can watch Method's latest video and some of the people even use the standard combat bars/ui with maybe raid frames/threat/dpslogs etc.

As for clicking, you can be a clicker in pve and do ok. You probably wont be in a top tier guild and if you are, you are probably being carried because you die to stuff way too often trying to keep your DPS up, or your surviving everything and your DPS lacks.

If you try and say your a top tier pvper and you click... your just trying to troll people or kidding yourself.

Had a Ret Pally in my old guild that ranked in Ulduar and got Gladiator in season 5 in 3's. He's a very, VERY rare case of a clicker able to compete at a very high skill level. Haven't met a clicker since then that could compete.

I click and im at 9/14 heroic mode, i guess if im handicapping myself i must be way better than a lot of the ppl that keybind yet still arent that far in progress. It isnt the best for pvp tho the most i can get is 2000 rating.

I was a clicker since the beginning of the game. It always worked for me; I had a similar mindset of "it works for me, what does it matter?" I moved to keybinding about six months ago, for a variety of reasons. Mainly, I wanted to see more of the game and less of my action bars.

I can say without a doubt keybinding is 100% superior. And no, it's not that difficult to convert over. After about a week I had my keybinds down and optimized for my playstyle.

And again, I know how "clickers" feel. I was there. I played fine, I did top 3 DPS when I was in a heroic raiding guild way back when, and found no faults with it. But keybinding is just better in every single way.

Deleted
    As per others here, key binding is the superior control method, as a tank it's particularly noticeable for CD usage or interrupts. The idea that that the same body memory can apply to pointing is false, you have introduced another tier of lag with your eyes. It's not optimal for DPS and tanking/healing are far easier when bound.

As far as practising binds as a tank, it is useful to initially have the bars mapped as the keys are, to jog your memory into remembering where stuff is. Solo content which forces CD usage, move stuff until you are happy with how you have abilities laid out, and just solo progressively harder content. Honestly, it doesn't take long until you think 'shit yeah'. Being able to target without returning to screen is simply faster, off target interrupting and using two ranged abilities on different targets is so much easier. Timing DS,Sblock,ShotR etc is more precise.

On the UI, as a Healer I use vuhdo, standard UI is still shit as a healer, to heal effectively you have to use frame mouseovers and it's extremely useful to be able to filter what buffs and debuffs you need to see. As a tank I can't imagine wanting to go back to standard frames, being able to frame mouse over a quick WoG,HoP,Res, Intervene etc is just easier than click targeting.

As a DPS, who mostly are concerned for their own shit, the standard frames may be all they need ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the Blizzard standard UI and clicked for most of TBC, once I stopped though it felt amazing and I could never go back now. My right click on my naga broke yesterday and I had to go back to a mouse with only 3 bind-able buttons and it's driving me absolutely crazy!

Blows my mind how many of the 5k+ posting people all seem to think that clicking the majority of your abilities and then evaluate themselves as 'fairly successful'. The reaction time and effectiveness of a clicker during encounters that require movement and dodging is abysmal and there simply is no way to overcome that.

Some heroic encounters are hectic enough that dedicating too much time watching your cooldowns instead of bossmods/environmental factors will get you killed, and that's while having every single skill bound and memorized. Alot of LFR level people, especially tanks, seem to be under the impression that just because a raid managed to kill a boss means that you automatically did an awesome job when in reality you're being a complete pain in the ass for all the melees in the raid which definitely isn't good.

How can you say that you won't bind keys because it makes the game too easy with a straight face when 90% of the playerbase managed to figure out the importance of binds and how much more enjoyable the game is after you can start paying more attention to what's happening around you instead of gluing your vision to your abilities constantly.

Clickers aren't real gamers. They're more of the facebook, angry birds types.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamanis View Post
    We have a 3rd tank in our guild that is a clicker, though we are slowly teaching her things to keybind in terms of defensive CDs. While she isn't exactly bad (A little off in her class knowledge, but was able to straighten it out IE Prot Paladin going for Parry/dodge gear) she does limit herself in movements we have noticed because of clicking. The most notable time is during the Norushen encounter and she is in the tank solo challenge. Not once has she made it out of their alive.
    I never died there, I move from the frontal cone quickly, I interrupt in time (with clicking), other than that I just dps and maybe use a little cd but nothing big.

only clicks cds such as barrier shadowfiend holyfire(lol yea) hymn (but not void shift and pain sup)

rest are "keybinded" 1-5 f r t g
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blachshma View Post
    As a tank, I feel pretty crappy when I see images of other UIs, ones that look highly complex but I bet pretty helpful. I am also a clicker as melee (only when I play a ranged char I go with keybinds, go figure), but I do fairly well as a tank (right now Wave 32 on Endless with my DK). When I heal I don't click, but I still use the standard raid frames and that's where I heal. Am I alone in the world or are there more HC raiders who use the standard Blizzard UI and are ok with it?
    I can play with the standard UI NP, I Click and I am a PvPer ( using keyboard to move ). Have been 2200+ in 4 arena seasons. Right now I stand at at 2311 in RBG's The people I play with don't know I click yet say I am 1 of the best enhancement shaman they have played with. Ihave countless pictures of me 1st place in RBG's on Damage and in NBG's. So yes. You can be Successful. I also Top LFR charts in DPS ( in PvP gear ) so don't listen to idiots that say "clickers" cant play.

Why handicap oneself on purpose?
    Lol handicap, I could say the same thing about keyboarders. You have to remember every keybind to 60+ buttons. Yeah GL with that. I have seen friends in action pvping and raiding where I see them not use a certain skill they have to grab the mouse to click it because they forgot the keyblind to said skill. I promise I can click any 2nd bar + item or skill faster than you can with a two button push. Sounds like keyboards only is the handicap.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    The default that it comes up with is kind of lame, but you can customize it to have player and target pics attached to the health bars, color the health bars by class color, health, etc. You can move everything where ever you want on the screen. The default that it shows is a little overwhelming, but once customized it can provide a very clean, nice look.

Not trying to sell you on it, I just know it seemed a little crappy to me the first time I looked at it.

I'm at work, so I don't have a screenshot available, or I'd post one of my UI.

Best of luck to you

- - - Updated - - -

I think it really depends on your personality. I'm competitive by nature, so just being a DPS lost in recount somewhere doesn't work for me. Not because of epeen or any stupid bullshit like that, I just take pride in what I do, and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability. I think most who see DPS as the "easiest" role is because they don't feel like they have any responsibility in that role and they don't really have a strong competitive drive.

I see it like this:

Tanking is the easiest role I've done. Move boss, pop CD's when necessary, keep threat (which the game pretty much does by itself now), pick up new adds, tank swap. I tanked from Kara to FL and loved it, but it was still the easiest role I had played. I'm very mindful of what's going on around me, and leading the pack, so to speak, is something that always came natural, so I never felt the pressure that most seem to feel in a tanking role. Once they made threat a non-issue, it became TOO easy and I stopped.

Healing is the second easiest for me. I get bored healing unless it's for HM's or we're doing things to make it more challenging. But again, that's me.

DPS I find to be the most difficult, because again, I like to be the best at what I do. Every fight I push myself to push out that last ounce of DPS, manage that CD perfectly to get another one, plan every move, every target switch, every CD perfectly to be the best. To me, that's pressure, but it's a pressure I love. I love pushing myself to the limits to see how much more I can push out on a given encounter.

So again, I think it's all in the personality. Tanking? Stay alive, you're good. Healing? Keep people alive, you're good. DPS? There's no ceiling... There's no stopping, there's no slacking or holding back.

This may make sense to no one but me, but that's how I see it. And I've played every class and every role (apart from Monk) in the game in HM raiding environments in some capacity. Every one is challenged in different ways.
    I guess its a matter of perspective, I started the game as a dpser, my main was Unholy DK, topped charts most of the time, then got bored of it, I didn't find any challenge aside of maxing the numbers. Then switched to playing a mage (Arcane and Fire), and again, got bored fairly quickly, so bored in fact my mage is still stuck on level 87 and I can't be bothered to level it any further. Then I started healing and found a whole new gaming experience, and that never actually got boring, felt always like a challenge, keeping up people up, while keeping mana up, timing cds, and knowing a whole group is counting on your work. Back on Spine HC progress we were missing a tank and I needed to start tanking, so I rolled blood on my DK and never looked back, I'm having a blast with it and while I don't find it as challenging as a healer, I find it just as intense as healing and tougher than dpsing (especially in raid enivorment).