Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    Mop: Learned how to walk into a stiff breeze during bossfights.
    Mop: Learned to hate mobs with directional shields.
    I really hope they just forget how to program those shields next expac.

Hopefully every tier in the next expansion will have at least 1 boss with pink dino.

Not sure if it was mentioned but Ulduar gave us the Assembly of Iron and we've been plagued by Council-style fights in almost every raid tier since then.

T8 - Assembly of Iron
    T9 - Beasts of Northrend, some might suggest Fffffaction Champions but that was more of an Arena-style fight.
    T10 - The Blood Prince Council
    T11 - Conclave of the Four Winds, Ascendant Council
    T12 - No council fight! \o/
    T13 - Madness of Deathwing
    T14 - Spirit Kings, Protectors of the Endless
    T15 - Council of Elders, maybe Twin Consorts
    T16 - The Fallen Protectors, Paragons of the Klaxxi

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post

T8 - Assembly of Iron
    This is basically a re-hash of the Bug Family in AQ40

You have to realize that a lot of the mechanics blizzard uses have been in the game for a very long time. The designers have just gotten better and better at dressing them up.

ITT OP never played vanilla and jumped on bandwagon.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by benji14 View Post

You have to realize that a lot of the mechanics blizzard uses have been in the game for a very long time. The designers have just gotten better and better at dressing them up.
    Which is okay unless your reaction to a mechanic in a new raid is "oh thats just like X mechanic in Y raid, I will approach X mechanic the same way in this new raid" and you are successful at just repeating the same thing you did in the past. It's incredibly boring imo.

Quote Originally Posted by benji14 View Post

Bug family was so freaking easy though, and you kill them one at a time. I find the first real council to be in Black Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by fappasaurus View Post
    Which is okay unless your reaction to a mechanic in a new raid is "oh thats just like X mechanic in Y raid, I will approach X mechanic the same way in this new raid" and you are successful at just repeating the same thing you did in the past. It's incredibly boring imo.
    I look at it differently. I see it as being able to recognize a boss having old core mechanics but used in an interesting way as a more in depth perspective into what makes a boss "good" or "bad". Firelands Ragnaros kept a lot of the "flavor" of MC Ragnaros while being a new fight on its own and it turned out amazing IMO.

In addition, having strategies in your pocket from old bosses helps you with new bosses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    T6 (MH, BT): Dont stand in the Fire! There were some more mechanics and its not the first time with ground effects. But for example Archimonde was THE "Dont stand in the Fire" Boss.
    "Vehicle" mechanics on Teron. You get completely new set of abilities you have to use. In Hyjal you also GoT "extra button bar" - you got slow fall ability as on-use item. Now this type of thing is done by extra button.

T6,5 (Sunwell): Groupheals. While Chainheal was important before being able to effectively Groupheal was more important than ever and you wanted to stack up as much as possible to outheal Raid-DMG. DPS was also very important but this was no really new mechanic...
    I think Kalecqos where raid was teleported to other realm?

Maybe not a new mechanic, but interrupts were really big thing in T11. Blizzard went really overboard with them.
    There is also mechanic, where bosses get random abilities or you can choose which abilities boss gets(like Halfus Drakes, or Yor'sahj globules), but I can't really say, when it was used for the first time. Halfus?

Ulduar introduced limited attempts, Anub'arak had a lot of interesting mechanics itself that I think will be revisited, and keeping the raid at a low HP mechanic was reused in BWD. I'm too lazy to go through ToGC bosses and compare them, but I think other mechanics have been reused.

Edit: Bug Family & Council in BT were before Ulduar. I can think of a few others that were dressed up in between that I'm not sure if I should include.
    Last edited by Obsession; 2013-10-10 at 12:12 AM.

No mentions of original ZG or AQ20 or ZA?
    Hakkar with priests that buffed him -> kill the priest bosses to reduce his powers (difficulty selection).
    Hakkar -> kill an add in the fight to debuff the raid, with the intent of deflecting one of Hakkar's own special abilities.
    AQ20 -> mana draining bosses to prevent them from using specific abilities (untill mana drains got killed off much later).
    ZA-> speed run for additional rewards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coocoo View Post
    AQ20 -> mana draining bosses to prevent them from using specific abilities (untill mana drains got killed off much later).
    Mana drains introduction was in Zul"gurrub on the snake boss ;x

Det you're kinda sad (That is to be expected from someone with 14k posts), what are you contributing by quoting 2 posts yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Achievements in T7: If you played back then you know that Blizzard tryed to make Achievements the actual Raidcontent with the Instances being easy and only the Achievements bringing some difficulty because you had to play the bosses in an odd way or basically the wrong way and therefore artifically make the bosses harder. So the ACM was a "mechanic" because it told you to play bosses in a odd way even though you didnt have to to kill the boss.
    Players didnt like it and thats why blizzard then brought real Hardmodes with better loot etc in the next Tiers. So the Idea of Achievements being the only raidingcontent failed.
    Or maybe it was just the first tier of an expansion so the raid was supposed to be relatively easy, and the achievements were there because they could be (and probably because Blizzard wanted more than just "kill boss" for raiding achievements)... The hard modes were likely added in later tiers because Blizzard saw how well people liked the multiple-difficulty concept of Sartharion with the drakes (including the better ilvl loot with 2+ drakes), and to this day Blizzard still adds raiding achievements which require unnecessary difficulty to complete so obviously some players liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    Not sure if it was mentioned but Ulduar gave us the Assembly of Iron and we've been plagued by Council-style fights in almost every raid tier since then.

T8 - Assembly of Iron
    T9 - Beasts of Northrend, some might suggest Fffffaction Champions but that was more of an Arena-style fight.
    T10 - The Blood Prince Council
    T11 - Conclave of the Four Winds, Ascendant Council
    T12 - No council fight! \o/
    T13 - Madness of Deathwing
    T14 - Spirit Kings, Protectors of the Endless
    T15 - Council of Elders, maybe Twin Consorts
    T16 - The Fallen Protectors, Paragons of the Klaxxi
    We even had a council fight every raid tier since T2,5...

T2,5 - Bug famliy
    T3 - Four Housemen
    T4 - Moroes, Maulgar
    T5 - Karathress, Kael'thas
    T6 - Illidari Council
    T6,5 - Eredar Twins

Quote Originally Posted by coocoo View Post
    Hakkar with priests that buffed him -> kill the priest bosses to reduce his powers (difficulty selection).
    Hakkar -> kill an add in the fight to debuff the raid, with the intent of deflecting one of Hakkar's own special abilities.
    ZA-> speed run for additional rewards.
    That's a good point, was wondering why ZG and AQ20 weren't mentioned. Zul'Gurub was actually a really good dungeon. Even though you only had 20 people on the raid team, they still managed to make ZG harder than Molten Core.

I didn't play for 6 years, from Classic to MOP, so I'm not sure if they ever used Bloodlord's mechanics again. He'd get experience when he killed people and scream *DING* every time he gained a level. He'd also do a ridiculous amount of damage to your average blue/green geared group that went up against him, so people were expected to die even during successful attempts. To make up for this, there were NPCs that would resurrect everyone who died (up to a limit of 10 resurrects or something like that).

Bloodlord also had a pet you had to deal with. If you killed the pet before Bloodlord, I think Bloodlord enraged and started doing a ton more damage. So you had to decide whether or not you would deal with his enrage damage, or whether you'd be dealing with the added pet damage. I can't remember whether you could actually tank the pet or not. I think it may just have been doing its own thing.

But yeah, there was more to the encounter that I can't really remember. It wasn't super complicated, even though it was pretty hard at the appropriate gear level. Even so, it did have some new mechanics it introduced to the game.
    Last edited by Akylios; 2013-10-10 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    Bloodlord also had a pet you had to deal with. If you killed the pet before Bloodlord, I think Bloodlord enraged and started doing a ton more damage. So you had to decide whether or not you would deal with his enrage damage, or whether you'd be dealing with the added pet damage. I can't remember whether you could actually tank the pet or not. I think it may just have been doing its own thing.
    If you tanked the pet through, you needed 3 tanks in general, 2 when the group was better geared. 1 for Bloodlord himself and 2 to juggle the raptor around as he did insane armor reduction debuff on target.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Ulduar introduced limited attempts
    Molten Core and BWL had limited attempts already.