Thread: Nazgrim HC

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Nazgrim HC

Hey guys,

We just downed Iron Juggernaut (god what a pain in the a...) yesterday and skipped Shamans because both of our maintanks have been missing, so we went straight to Nazgrim with our palaheal and retri tanking.
    I was just wondering what your prioritylist for the adds looks like? We tried couple of ways and ended on shaman --> arkane --> sniper --> assassine --> the whirling guy, while the assassine was 70% slowed by our warlock, the arkane got kicked by our rogue and the shaman got kicked by our ranges.
    Also we switched from three healing to two healing, since there isn´t that much damage incoming besides his shout, which shouldn´t even get used that often.

Also one big problem was that our tanks died quite often due to execute. have you got any tips reading tanking and tank switching? stacks + timing with execute? Besides some random guys dieing because of fails or his shout, this was our main whipe reason (or battlerezz burner). we got him to around 60% every try, with 50% best i think, but then either a tank or a random other guy died

Thanks in advance

edit: talking about 10man heroic
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2013-10-07 at 07:25 AM.

As far as I know from Normal, tanks should switch after each wave of adds, so if boss casts Sunders as often in heroic as normal, they should end up at around 5-6 stacks before switching. Tanks should pop a CD for Execute for sure, would be worth mentioning what tanks you have.

We did the same as you, IJ down yesterday, skipped to Nazgrim. Execute was a bit of a pain, our DK was just laughing them off but as Guardian I found it quite hard to survive, I had to use everything then call for each healer cooldown as well (Pain Suppression, Cocoon and Sacrifice). I've lower gear due to rerolling than most tanks would have at this point though so I'm sure that's a contributor. Obviously the more stacks you have when execute is coming the more damage you take, you really need to save the biggest CD's for these and use smaller things like Barkskin on the first/1 stack ones. I imagine the tank cloak would help a ton here but as I said, rerolled so a few weeks off it yet.

For adds we were prioritizing Shaman > Sniper > Ass > Mage. The mage we just sat a rogue on to lock it down.

We were playing around with 2 and 3 healing. Only got a few pulls but Nazgrim was healing a ton from the Earth Shield which makes me think we're leaving shamans up too long.

One thing I'd note though is we only got 1 shout all the tries (on non-wipe calls) so it suggests your raid is giving him more rage than you should be. Make sure you're swapping at 3 sunders, not letting tanks get 4 and people stop in defensive stance. The tanks with Sunder can still hit him but when tank swapping I found it best to not attack till you get your first sunder.

I think people were a bit burned out for us last night after a long evening on IJ as most of our deaths were to silly things like standing in Aftershock.

Deleted
    Our kill order was Shamans>Mages>Assassins>Sniper>Warrior.

As long as you CC the Warrior and keep him away from the boss to avoid that extra damage on the tanks, it should be fine. Face the Sniper towards a wall, so that only the person targeted gets hit.

About tanks: You swap as usual but to handle the Executes, you need to have some CD's. Don't bother when he's in Defensive or Battle Stance tbh, but have a CD up for when he's in Berserker Stance, cause that shit can 1 shot you, if you don't have a CD up.

At the end where he'll spawn a shit ton of adds, you need to keep going on adds or you will be overrun. Kill the Shamans, try to CC the Mages and then 1 tank can get aggro on the Warriors and move them away, while the other tank just tank the boss. Towards the end it's all about add control.

Edit: We 2 healed it, you'll need a lot of dps to manage the adds, if you go with 3 healers and there's just not enough damage to warrant a third healer imo.

Deleted
    The tanks have to swoap @3 Stacks all the time, because the 4th Stack on a Tank will gave Nazgrim 20 rage and end up to a shout. This is rly deadly to your Raid.
    Warri have to use Shildbarrier , Pala 3HP schild (aktiv mitigation don't know the english term for -,-) , DK Bloodshild, monk nothing oO?! , DuDu no idea

Our ADD focus is Mage > Schaman > Assa > Hunter > Warri , your offtank have to Tank a Schaman/Mage and all time a Warrior if there, if u have to Tankswaop, crosstaunt the adds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    As far as I know from Normal, tanks should switch after each wave of adds, so if boss casts Sunders as often in heroic as normal, they should end up at around 5-6 stacks before switching. Tanks should pop a CD for Execute for sure, would be worth mentioning what tanks you have.
    You need to switch at 3 stacks or you're just giving the boss free rage. I don't think Execute can kill any tank with their active mitigation up, unless they have a shitload of sunder armor stacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    would be worth mentioning what tanks you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    so we went straight to Nazgrim with our palaheal and retri tanking.
    double pala tank

@tanking:
    is it possible/viable to lets say let the one tank stack his debuff up until shortly before execute, and THEN let the other tank take the boss without stacks and eat the execute? I´m a warlock, so I´ve got no clue about the timing of the tanking part.

@earthshield:
    I forgot about that. I guess we also got a lot of selfheal from earthshield, if there havn´t been anyone from my raid stealthdispelling it.
    edit: just checked logs. Seems that he only got healed by healing tide the whole day (on a whipe i think, since he was never close to a totem)

@sunder:
    Am I understanding this right? The tank with sunder isn´t generating rage when he hits the boss?

@Berserker stance: I think the additional damage of this stance was also the reason of some deaths. I´ll make sure my tanks are aware of the additional inc dmg

BTW, we recognised that the assassine was just focusing on range dds, and the hunter only on healers. Is this kind of behavior normal or just "luck"?
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2013-10-07 at 08:52 AM.

When the boss is in defensive stance, targets affected by Sunder do not cause him to generate rage.

When a target is affected by Sunder, the boss gains rage. The more Sunder stacks, the more rage gained. This is why you need to swap at 3, if you let people go to 4 or higher you're giving him too much rage and he'll Warsong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks need to taunt at 3 stacks, and make sure to have active mitigation up for executes. Make sure tanks are also using cds during berserker stance. Tanking the boss near the add spawn point helps melee get on add quicker, and you should always pull boss to the back of room for the 10% burn phase. This boss should be very easy if you got the previous 7 down, not quite Norushen easy but still very easy.

Our priority for the adds were Shaman -> Arcweaver -> Ironblade/Assassin -> Sniper. What we did though is we tanked the boss near where the adds spawn and misdirected the adds to the current tank, and used Death Knights to AoE grip all the adds into the melee where a Monk AoE stun them all while we zerg the Shaman before he casts Tide. If a Death Knight hasn't used his single target grip then we grip in the Assassin and stun it with Asphyxate. Worked like a charm.

Deleted
    Thanks guys for the tipps.

I got one more question regarding to the enrage timer. Since the timers from DBM are bugged on like 130% (at least) of the bossfights, I was wondering if Nazgrims enrage is a bit tight or more survival-like.

10+ Year Old Account
    should be 10 minutes? I think a common tactic is to wait for the boss to reach the 8 minute mark (last add spawn) and trigger his 10% add spawn wave after that so you can avoid a double-spawn.
    Last edited by Riemu2k3; 2013-10-07 at 11:07 AM.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Deleted
    Personally we didn't have an issue with the enrage timer. We only had a few wipes (Heroic progress considered) and that was mostly to not controlling the adds properly. But as others have said, we too tanked the boss near the entrance, where adds spawn. The fight is pretty trivial until the last phase, where he'll call fourth more adds with like 10 secs apart. That's when you need to find out for yourselves, how you best handle this. As I said, we killed the Shamans, to prevent them from healing. Then had a tank kite the Warriors, used cc and then focused the boss.

Imo it's more about having enough dps during important moments i.e killing the Shamans and their totems fast, killing the banner fast and then interrupting, while not getting stabbed in the back by the Assassins.

We personally never found the shaman to be a threat. Arcweavers can get out of control quick if you let them gain a few stacks (and they do in the final phase while also being the only ones to probably kill anyone in that phase). Shamans tanked away from raid don't really do anything in the final phase if your other tank just picks him and the ironblade up. Just make sure to dispel earth shield whenever there's a shaman out and interrupt chain heal, tide should never get dropped anywhere close to anything anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    As I said, we killed the Shamans, to prevent them from healing.
    You also killed them during the <10% phase? I thought they can be outranged anyway?

My thought for the last <10% was to swap tanks so the one with 0 stacks has the boss, pull the boss to the opposite side of the addspawn, use bloodlust and burn the boss down while the other tank collects the adds and dds + tank stun the hell out of them.

Killed HC nazgrim first week of heroic progress...pretty easy boss. Priority= Sham > Arcweaver (caster) > all

The reason i saw all is becuase the other 3 ads do nothing if handled properly

Whoever has the hunter on them needs to position the hunter so he faces away from anything else
    You need to face directly at the rogue and he does nothing dmg wise
    the warrior can just be kited by the offtank who can tank up to 3 of em before it actually gets interesting

If its not a sham or caster, don't worry about it..just go multi dot city and stay on boss then catch up in defensive.
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

10+ Year Old Account
    You also killed them during the <10% phase? I thought they can be outranged anyway?

My thought for the last <10% was to swap tanks so the one with 0 stacks has the boss, pull the boss to the opposite side of the addspawn, use bloodlust and burn the boss down while the other tank collects the adds and dds + tank stun the hell out of them.
    That is the easiest way to deal with shaman. By the time you swap and kill shaman, boss should be dead, so why bother killing shamans sub 10%?

10+ Year Old Account
    What we did on our kill was, we had a damage stop at 13-14%.

Adds stop spawning after like 8 minutes. We waited till the last def stance was over (about 1:10 before enrage) and then pushed the boss sub 10%. We lusted as soon as the adds spawned and cleaned them up nicely. Boss fell over couple of seconds later - with 10 people alive.

The 10% spawn can be controlled pretty nicely so you dont need to offtank or outrange or whatever. Just hold your DPS till you have passed the Add Spawns and then control the push.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    What we did on our kill was, we had a damage stop at 13-14%.

Adds stop spawning after like 8 minutes. We waited till the last def stance was over (about 1:10 before enrage) and then pushed the boss sub 10%. We lusted as soon as the adds spawned and cleaned them up nicely. Boss fell over couple of seconds later - with 10 people alive.

The 10% spawn can be controlled pretty nicely so you dont need to offtank or outrange or whatever. Just hold your DPS till you have passed the Add Spawns and then control the push.
    how many adds are spawning after the 10% mark?

10+ Year Old Account
    how many adds are spawning after the 10% mark?
    To be honest, didn't really watch that closely. They fell almost instantly with bloodlust. It was more than usual so I would say 4-5 adds.