Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Fire] How high should my Combustion be?

I understand now that it isn't the majority of my DPS anymore, but it is still one of the things I strive for, large numbers off a combustion. 524ilvl (40% crit) as my LFR geared mage at the moment with 2pc bonus. The highest I have gotten (with perfect RNG) was around 12k.

What has your highest combustion been post nerf? Still striving for a big one on Protectors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personaly, I don't strive do to anything anymore. In more clear terms, I sped less energy than before trying to get the perfect Combustion. I'll do the rotation as before, use alter time with pyro/heating up combo, but I wont go out of my way to try and get all stars alined. Because as it is, Combustion is just a fairly good cd, not the beast it used to be. Now, i'm only a 552 mage, and I play much more Frost than Fire, but when I do, that's my state of mind.

Well nothing has really changed outside of the fact that with AT on cooldown, you're not gonna save combustion for any trinket procs, you're just gonna use it pretty much on cooldown now.

just set it up like normal but keep out the part where its ur biggest dps boost, because until a lot of gear you get more from maximizing your pyroblasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was Fire for the first time tonight, 552 ilevel. My combustions ranged from 25k-35k on pull to an average of 15k-25k through the fight, depending on luck.

Deleted
    You can't compare your max combustion with people who have 550 ilvl gear, 4pc, trinkets, etc. It's a massive difference. After doing a few fights you should have an idea of the best ignite you can get, and as long as you're executing your pull-burst perfectly I wouldn't worry about it at all (after all, your legendary cloak will be doing more damage than combustion).

If you really want to maximise combustion, aim to get the immerseus trinket and new 4pc, they'll help the most.

100-200k worst case scenario, 300k+ best case scenario, even 500k ignites in 564 ilvl, it all depends on RNG of this broken mechanic.

500k ignite on a standard target ( No % damage increase mechanics ect ) sounds abit exaggerated

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    500k ignite on a standard target ( No % damage increase mechanics ect ) sounds abit exaggerated
    All trinket procs and 10 pyroblast proc crits in a row does it. it happens only when the stars align though, but it can happen lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkleslob View Post
    All trinket procs and 10 pyroblast proc crits in a row does it. it happens only when the stars align though, but it can happen lol
    I don't quite think you understand how ignite work.

Deleted
    i doubt you can achieve a 500k ignite with 564. my personal best was 74k combustion = 370k ignite.
    but i couldnt get the immerseus trinket yet so maybe you can achieve it afterall.
    Last edited by mmoc15c062ae7d; 2013-10-12 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarim View Post
    i'll never quite understand how ignite works, it's a retarded mechanic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jarim View Post
    Here's what i mean by stars aligning. You have Pyro proc + heating up, you fire off a fireball with the instant pyroblast, you crit gaining another one. Standing in melee range allows you to make the ignite go to the sky if you keep getting coherent crits. It is almost possible to stack ignite infinitely, it's the worst mechanic in the entire game and it needs a redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkleslob View Post
    i'll never quite understand how ignite works, it's a retarded mechanic.
    Well as far as an ignite for combustion is concerned, you can AT MAX fit 4 pyros in, and this is only at high haste (minimum GCD) and for the most part you will have 3 pyros in your ignite. Ignite will only roll for four seconds so at minimum GCD (1 second GCD) you can pyro four times, then combust RIGHT as the fourth hits.

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    Well as far as an ignite for combustion is concerned, you can AT MAX fit 4 pyros in, and this is only at high haste (minimum GCD) and for the most part you will have 3 pyros in your ignite. Ignite will only roll for four seconds so at minimum GCD (1 second GCD) you can pyro four times, then combust RIGHT as the fourth hits.
    I've had a 500k ignite on a Kor'kron Dark shaman hc attempt while we had that on progress with tricks and stuff... It's not something you get often, but as i said when stars align kind of thing. I said 10 as over exaggarating and i appologize for the drama. I know this...

For your gear that's a pretty reasonable combustion, at about 553 with BiS gear you'd be looking around 40k on pot/AT combustion and around 30k without.

Considering the amount of crit we lose from the change of trinkets this tier, we don't get a chance to really pick up much mastery

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically I think because Ignite will refresh to a maximum of 6 seconds you can really fit in 5 pyros. This of course requires a lot of haste and quite a lot of precision with timing combustion (in addition to low latency), but within the realm of possibility.

I suppose you could theoretically fit in 6, but you have literally no margin for error, and with latency and the time it takes for the server to do it's thing, I don't think it's really possible.

That's the way I understand Ignite to work, but the important thing to remember is that your most recent hits will contribute a higher percentage of their damage to your final Ignite tick since they will have had less time to lose damage as Ignite ticks. So if your trinkets fall off after maybe 4 crits, but you still have more pyros to fire off, you'll probably lose Ignite damage even if they crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highest Combustion i had on pull since nerf is 72k i think Thok(Flex) Resulted in a 1million burst.

Quote Originally Posted by zandiy View Post
    Highest Combustion i had on pull since nerf is 72k i think Thok(Flex) Resulted in a 1million burst.
    Highest I've seen since the nerf is 84k (420k ignite) but I've only played fire for two days this patch so I'm not really too sure what I should be getting for my ilvl.

@bowser, at your ilvl I was hitting combustion at ignites around 90 to 110k average (note I said these are the ignite values not combustion. I usually refer to my combustion by the ignite value since that's what shows up in my UI.)

On a lucky pull if I could swing a 140k(+) ignite I was pretty pleased with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highest I've seen since the nerf is 84k (420k ignite) but I've only played fire for two days this patch so I'm not really too sure what I should be getting for my ilvl.
    i think with black blood and amp trinket hc ofc, combustions with skullbanner will start to reach the 100k-120k mark again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    Right holy shit. I have maybe once the whole time I have been fire where the WoW RNG gods have spoken to me and gave me a 300k ignite,