Sky Golem Review

Okay, so ya'll know (well maybe you don't) that I was rather excited for the Sky Golem and as those who have been paying attention also know, it became possible to craft them yesterday since the first 30 days of possible mats came to pass at 6:30am. (yes yes, I know a few people seem to have gotten them through weird things like Bling or BMAH, but really I hadn't seen a single on on my high pop server till yesterday).

Anyway, here's my personal review of the mount as compared to others because internet.

I'll start with the minuses just to get the bad news out of the way:

Minuses
    • Was very disappointed that they removed the underwater breathing. From the videos it appeared that it would have it (especially given the underwater animation), but the real thing doesn't. Others also speculated that it would go faster underwater, but the video I saw posted didn't really convince me of that, so I wasn't expecting it.
    • I was really hoping that it would also allow for mounted mining... I mean given the look of the mount, mining makes more sense to me than herbing (a much more delicate operation in my opinion). Oh well.

Neutral
    • I have this weird thing about using ground-mounts that seem like they would be an uncomfortable ride (have you seen the bouncing that the raptors do? Holy crap, my nuts hurt just looking at that). Anyway, I'm giving this one a neutral because even though the animations for the ground-walking on the Sky Golem seem like they would be nausea-inducing to the rider, they are summarily kick ass and therefore I feel it evens it out.
    • This one is hard to explain because it is purely cosmetic, but there are some mounts (and this one is definitely one, the Giant reforge Yak and travelers tundra are others) where the ground-speed feels slower due to the size of the mount than it actually is. Basically, because the mount is much larger that say a horse or raptor, top ground speeds seem slower. It is purely a matter of perspective and isn't actually going any slower, but still, I get every so slightly annoyed by this feeling.

Positives
    • Herbing (though I don't really herb that much, I guess this is a plus
    • Cost. This was controversial. As some of you may have seen, I made a poll to get an idea of what was going to happen on day 1 of availability as far as the market for these mounts would do and while it may not be good news to the folks who were expecting to sell these for several 100k G, I feel like it is good news that this mount is "affordable." Also part of me was happy that the market fell out on them (they go for sub-50k if you haggle on my server) as I don't feel so bad having kept mine rather than selling.
    • Animations... okay, here is where this mount might be the most awesome mount out there. Everything, from the take-off, to the side-to-side flying animation, to the random DO A BARREL ROLLs are animated so beautifully and humorously that I really am super happy despite the minor disappointments. Even my minor complaints about the ground-mount issues are overshadowed by the fact that the ground-walking animations look so utterly baddassed. I also love that the "cover" comes on and off depending on the usage (flying/swimming, but not while walking)

In summary: I'm very happy with the mount and would be curious to hear what others who got it think. Of course those who don't have it are perfectly welcome to their opinions, you know, because internet. However, I feel that there is something about actually being IN the mount that makes the animations particularly awesome from the player perspective.

Have at it with the comments!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason why I like because it reminds of Mega man X armor shit that you pilot hence I'll buy one when it reaches like 40k in Mal'ganis which I count down in about day however I do have a guilty judgement when I see like 15 of them in shrine all lined up together and every single one of them is afk then It just... feels ackwerd

None on my server for sale, but I could most likely get one made for my brother so I am waiting.

Deleted
    got mine for 50k, im happy with it

I make the first one to sell, the 2nd to keep, to add to my mounts. No intention of ever using it as it is so big & ugly

Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    Only reason why I like because it reminds of Mega man X armor shit that you pilot hence I'll buy one when it reaches like 40k in Mal'ganis which I count down in about day however I do have a guilty judgement when I see like 15 of them in shrine all lined up together and every single one of them is afk then It just... feels ackwerd
    Might take a bit longer... there have been some interesting fluctuations in the market over the last 24 hours. Right in the morning, the price was sub -50k on my server, but by night, the price on the AH had reached about 75k (though I suspect that no one was buying them since there were quite a few trade channel offers for selling around 50k-55k.)

I checked the AH just now on the mobile app and the lowest is up for 60k bo.

I've been slowly making the mats for this and am pretty excited to see it. I play on a low pop server and haven't seen any flying around yet and forgot to check the AH. To be honest, it's 30 days of squirreling away mats, I think I'll end up keeping mine. There are better sources of income than 50k/30 days (making > 1.7k per day isn't unreasonable if you're diligent) so as long as it's unique I think I'll keep it. Kudos to people who sell them and keep the price low though, I was sure this thing was going to be over 100k when it was announced.

Not a fan of the looks of it, but some of the animations are cool.

Overall, indifferent towards it. If I bother to make one, it will definitely be up for sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going for 99k - 200k on my server right now.

I want one! But I only have 70k

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Going for 99k - 200k on my server right now.

I want one! But I only have 70k
    Haha you're poor Dars :P slacker make some gold!