Heroic 10 Malkorok

We started progression on this boss last night. I play a tank and I am not understanding a mechanic evidently. I will slowly lose health little by little and the damage cannot be healed back up. What is causing this? Am I doing something wrong? I'm watching a youtube video tank PoV and this isn't happening to him. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by skmage View Post
    We started progression on this boss last night. I play a tank and I am not understanding a mechanic evidently. I will slowly lose health little by little and the damage cannot be healed back up. What is causing this? Am I doing something wrong? I'm watching a youtube video tank PoV and this isn't happening to him. Help!
    In the first phase of the fight, you get a heroic tortos shield type mechanic that stays on you the entire time till p2. What it does is absorb any healing done to you and gives you an absorption shield, up to a 100% of your health.

You lose health when the shield gets eaten through and some damage goes through, but since all healing goes to the shield, as soon as your shield drops, any heals get added to your shield and not your health even after it falls. Basically, let's say you have 800k hp.

800k hp/800k absorb shield

Malkorok hits you for 900k (possible sometimes lol)

You end up at 700k hp/0 absorb shield.

You get healed for 200k after this.

700k hp/200k absorb shield.

Any healing you take goes to your shield, not to your health. Gradually depending on the damage you take and how much healing you are getting, your health might drop really low but you shouldn't panic. Think of your shield as your real HP in that phase, and your health is a "cheat death buffer" that basically is there to cover for you if your shield is gone. When your "buffer" is gone, you die.
    Last edited by Angelicat; 2013-10-10 at 07:26 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    During phase 1 all healing goes into a shield on you that will stack as high as your max health. Health lost cannot be healed back up until the Blood Rage phase starts. You losing health could either be healers not keeping your shield topped off, or it could be you hitting the little balls that spawn all over the place. Anyone that hits a ball has their shield immediately removed and they take 150,000 damage on top of that.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you guys!

10+ Year Old Account
    We almost have this boss dead but people keep dying to stupid shit. I have a question though

Druid roar negates the debuff during blood rage. We run 2 druids, one moonkin and one guardian. Does anyone know why only the first roar per phase will clear the debuff? (done by the moonkin)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by subtletuna View Post
    We almost have this boss dead but people keep dying to stupid shit. I have a question though

Druid roar negates the debuff during blood rage. We run 2 druids, one moonkin and one guardian. Does anyone know why only the first roar per phase will clear the debuff? (done by the moonkin)
    Maybe first Roar comes in late and people didn't cancelaura before the second came in?

Both roars (moonkin and restore) in my raid worked. Are you sure your 2nd roar wasn't too early or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is cancel aura necessary?

The second roar definitely is not too early, we tried on several occasions with it.

Also, iirc, our hunter never gets dispelled on the first roar despite being beside/on top of the other person who does get dispelled.

/cursed

Is cancel aura necessary?

The second roar definitely is not too early, we tried on several occasions with it.

Also, iirc, our hunter never gets dispelled on the first roar despite being beside/on top of the other person who does get dispelled.

/cursed
    No, cancelaura isn't necessary, at least AFAIK my raid never mentioned it and our debuffs got removed just fine.

Deleted
    Are u sure both of your druids has the range glyph so range is not a problem?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone is using other speed boosts, Roar sometimes won't overwrite it. Example: Priest speed bubbles used to make me unable to pop Tiger's Lust on Heroic Lei Shen. I told our healing priests to stop speed shielding me, ceased to be an issue. Check if anyone else is using another speed enhancing spell which is making Roar unable to be applied.

Deleted
    You're on HC malkorok and dont understand the shield mechanic? I feel for your raid leader :P