Reforge Preference for resto?

Ive looked through alot of top tier resto shaman profiles and Ive come to the conclusion that mastery=crit, all depending on what you want to dump your haste into(as long as your above 12.5%). Is there a difference between respective reforges for the way you heal? Like for mastery build I would think you want to heal tanks more and use GHW more. For Crit you would spam LHW and HS. One final note that I have seen is alot of these resto shamans are reforging SPIRIT into whatever they deem dominant. Most end up with around 10k spirit. So what do you guys think? Is reforging spirit for mastery/crit best, or taking away your haste?

Quote Originally Posted by midgetsj View Post
    Ive looked through alot of top tier resto shaman profiles and Ive come to the conclusion that mastery=crit, all depending on what you want to dump your haste into(as long as your above 12.5%). Is there a difference between respective reforges for the way you heal? Like for mastery build I would think you want to heal tanks more and use GHW more. For Crit you would spam LHW and HS. One final note that I have seen is alot of these resto shamans are reforging SPIRIT into whatever they deem dominant. Most end up with around 10k spirit. So what do you guys think? Is reforging spirit for mastery/crit best, or taking away your haste?
    I would say that the Mastery build is wrong 99% of the time. Generally, Mastery is only 25% to 50% of the value of Crit on a per stat point level, and falls below Crit even on fights like Thok and Norushen that you would think would be prime fights for our Mastery. As far as Mastery, I am of the opinion it's wasted stat itemization and should be avoided/reforged out of as much as possible.

As far as other stats, there are a number of ways that you can do it. Generally, you want to first get Spirit to your comfort level, then Haste to your desired breakpoint, then gem primarily INT and reforge excess Spirit and Haste (and god forbid Mastery) into Crit.

For Spirit comfort level, I have seen anywhere from 7k to 18k. It depends on.
    -Play style - how aggressively do you push Chain Heal casts outside of cooldowns? Do you game meta procs with Magma Totems and recall HST all the time or do you prefer not to burn that many GCDs?
    -What trinkets are you using? If you're using for example Horridon's Last Grasp + Dysmorphic Samophlange, you need 4000-5000 less Spirit on gear than if you are using Thok's + Prismatic Prison
    -Raid comp - the more Priests using Hymns, the less mana you need. If you are running a 2-3 Resto Shaman raid comp instead of being the only one, you need less Spirit.
    You just have to figure out what works for you.

As far as haste, almost no one is stopping at 12.5%. Going to the 7613 Healing Rain breakpoint is almost mandatory in 525+ ilvl gear, because it is a very sizable throughput increase. Going to 8918 (remember you need a buffer of a couple hundred haste to reliably get the extra ticks with this one) for an extra HST tick (and an extra HTT tick with Berserking up for Trolls) may be worth it. At very high gear levels, going to 15,316 haste might end up being the way to go.

Just figure out where you need your Spirit to be, and what Haste breakpoint makes sense for you. If you have to gem Haste over INT in more than a few gem sockets to get to the haste breakpoint, you are probably aiming too high for your gear level. Losing a large amount of INT to hit Haste breakpoints in general is not worth it. Once you get your desired haste and Spirit levels, just reforge all remaining secondary stats to Crit. Just remember that as your gear level and amount of Crit increases, your Spirit requirements will decrease, because of increased Resurgence gains. As a general guideline, 4 Crit = 1 Spirit typically in terms of regen value alone, so if you gain 2000 Crit from ilvl increases, you should be able to drop 500 Spirit.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do 10man and this is what I do personally:

Spirit Until Comfortable (mine is around 13k~ but you can go as low as 9k with the legendary meta) > Haste (7613) > Crit > Mastery

Haste at 7613 gives you an extra tick on Healing Rain. If you go to 8916 Haste, you'll get an extra tick on HST. That's the highest I would go Haste wise. I like Crit because it gives you mana back with Resurgence. I don't like Mastery because I don't want people to be low in the first place. That and you only really need 50% Mastery. When I'm reforged out of all Mastery on my Shaman, I have a little bit over 50% anyways. When I see someone drop to like 40% in raid, I Healing Surge them and then they're at full, because it usually always Crits (due to the passive on Healing Surge and I have around 28% Crit) AND you get some of the mana back.

Honestly, I think it depends on your play style. I see a lot of top Shamans going for a 15316 Haste break point because that adds another tick to healing rain.

Deleted
    With my gear (552 ilev) i go for the following:

Spirit (doesn't change anything for me since all my gear has spirit on it)
    Haste - 9000 (8916 cap with lag comp)
    Crit
    Mastery
    Haste

I do the 8916 cap since i find myself using Tier 15 2set and Rushing Streams most of the time and this haste cap increases the output of HST by allot. As for spirit, i try to keep around 15k so i can do a decent Mana Tide and so i can spam heal if i need to without having to be scared about my mana going to low. If you want to see my full build just click the link here or the one in my signature.

I find myself reforging out of all the mastery I can because at current gear levels it is hard to drop below ~55% or so. I run around 12k spirit and micro manage my LMG procs with glyphed totemic recall. Also be sure to mana tide early and often. I am aiming for high haste levels (15k HR breakpoint) and have no issues with mana currently. I ran heavy crit last tier but have sacrificed it for haste this time and still have ~20% crit.

Although with ~80% of our healing being smart heals this tier mastery is slightly higher valued as most heals are choosing lower health targets first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Early in the expansion, I went crit over mastery for the extra mana regen push. I swapped mid-Tier14 to mastery over crit and have been using that since. Lately, I've been thinking about going back to crit since outside of a few fights, my mastery rarely gets to shine anyway, especially with my raid's healer comp.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |