Poll: Should they get Models?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Most leggings have a 3D model now, but yes, I think the chest pieces should get some model instead of a flat texture slapped on.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    Most leggings have a 3D model now, but yes, I think the chest pieces should get some model instead of a flat texture slapped on.

Yeah. Just one geoset that they keep reusing. Gloves have only a few that they've been using since vanilla. Time for at least some new geosets.

I'm tired of wearing skin suits!!
    "Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    but the new leggings geoset is still part of the model; pauldrons, belts, helms and weapons are the only ones that exist separately from a player model and allow much more customization.

I don't see it happening any time soon to be honest, any other armor type would require some sort of mesh variability with the animations, current separate armor models don't have any torsion with animations, their animations are either self contained or at most a dangly bit that always points down.

with the current system torso pieces are out of the question, but things like kneepads and elbow pads would be possible, as well as globes/boots since forearms and shins have negligible torsion.

this is why i always wear a tabard, gives the illusion of something beyond a weird skin tight shirt. which on a male orc, looks kind of weird. giant shoulders + a nice fitting turtle neck.

You realized legs got 3d models back in Wrath, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not. The leggings (I guess many of them appropriately labeled as leggings) do sometimes have some shape to them, if mostly around the cuffs, other than just always fitting like, well, leggings. I think some also depend on what boots/shoes you're using as well.

Chest though might be a bit hard to do though without being obnoxious or in the way. Maybe a little varying thickness to the layer depending on cloth, leather, or plate. Maybe make mail look a bit more like mail in the model and not just the texture art.

Edit: Ok, had to go log my Belf to see what one of his items is called. Not available anymore, but he's got these in his bank. http://www.wowhead.com/item=5327

I love these in that even though while his boots are on (not sure if smaller shoes to the same?) they're snug like any other "leggings," but boots off the cuffs flair out a bit like actual shorts. (Not to mention he's got those sexy torn slashes on the sides.. lol) I just wish my Ken doll, I mean, Blood Elf had more reason to actually wear this stuff, he looks ready for the beach now.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-10-13 at 04:32 AM.

There's limits what they can do with the current models. They have limited skeletal points. Once they get a lot more, they can move them around to match the textures in creative ways without making it look retarded. You can see their limits now when you look at things like the Pandaria hunter levelling set in Kun-Lai and such. The legs to change shape, but it's very blocky and fails to match the texture perfectly.

Once we get new models, I'm sure Blizzard will get more experimental with the way the model reshapes depending on the gear. Looking forward to it!

Of course. Less textures and more models for the people!

Love the alternatives. So balanced!

The cauldrons definitely need a revamp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally yes. It's not 2004 anymore, the competition is heavier than ever in mmo land. Not only character models but armor as well. It would be a fresh breath of air for Wow which it very much needs imho.