Thread: why meta

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

why meta

why does ask mr robot recomend legen meta for destruction?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the Burning Primal one is slightly better for Destruction, haste is the least desired stat for Destruction right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Because the Burning Primal one is slightly better for Destruction, haste is the least desired stat for Destruction right now.
    Question was "does", not "doesn't".

It's either been overlooked or deemed irrelevant by ask. Just do what you feel is right.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Legendary gem is way superior on opener.

Deleted
    I do like maximising my DPS, however, the gem usage (for me) is on the fence... If you like swapping between specs, it really is not worth having the Burning Primal.

So I use legendary meta for both Affliction and Destruction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post
    Legendary gem is way superior on opener.
    this, more burst

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    Question was "does", not "doesn't".
    I can't read

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    I can't read
    Forgiven because of name similarities

30% haste last 10s = 30% damage bonus for 10s
    3% crit damage = 3% damage
    If the legendary meta effect triggers more than once per 100s, it will be a superior choice. It does for most of the time .
    What's more, more haste= more ticks for immolation/firerain and more incinerate = more embers = more chaosbolt & shadowburn.
    Especially for immolation because it lasts more than 10s.

---edit---
    I made a mistake, 3% crit damage should be 0%(at 0 crit)-1.5%(at 100% crit) damage.
    I overestimated blue gem, It sucks.
    As for the uptime, it is always more than 10% for me, maybe I'm lucky.
    This is just an estimation, I know it is not accurate. Anyway, If the combat time is long enough, 30% haste = 30% damage bonus. Let Blizzard do the in-depth calculation
    I remember there's a blue post saying that they don't want lower ilvl gears to be better than higher ilvl gears(It's not exactly what they said, but it is what they mean). So always choose higher ilvl things unless the lower ilvl one is legendary, because the higher the better. If it is not, well, hope you guys remember what happened to Unerring Vision of Lei Shen on September 23, 2013
    Last edited by fassade; 2013-10-14 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fassade View Post
    Whatever you're smoking...

10+ Year Old Account
    If the legendary meta effect triggers more than once per 100s, it will be a superior choice. It does for most of the time .
    What's more, more haste= more ticks for immolation/firerain and more incinerate = more embers = more chaosbolt & shadowburn.
    Man I hope your day job doesn't require math or reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayier View Post
    Man I hope your day job doesn't require math or reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Whatever you're smoking...
    Care to provide some counter-arguments, or just make baseless criticisms?

He provided some sound math and reasoning about his decisions.

30% haste is indeed 30% more damage if you're not GCD-capped, as well as 30% faster mana regeneration and 30% more ember generation. The fact that you can snapshot the haste value for probably 22+ seconds of hasted immolate ticks and 15+ seconds of Rain of Fire increases its value for those two spells, as well. Also, as previously stated, a proc-based buff has more synergy with Dark Soul and other cooldowns.

It seems reasonable to me to assume that the two gems are at least comparable if the legendary isn't strictly better.

the difference between the two is very slight
    I like the legendary meta for Opening Burst and for if it procs during a trinket procs/cds for launching Bolts
    Whatever you prefer with your playstyle will work better, if you like to utilize the legendary proc during cds and such, legendary might work better, if you don't, go with burning.

Well, his "math" is terrible

30% haste for 10 seconds =/= 30% more damage in 10 seconds
    Nor does 3% crit damage = 3% more damage.

I'm terrible with math too, but to work out both you need to know the uptime of the meta, as well as current crit chance for the second portion.

Use Burning Primal if you play only Destro. Use Legendary Metagem if you swap between specs often.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargul View Post

30% haste is indeed 30% more damage if you're not GCD-capped.

That's just profoundly incorrect. Total damage output does not scale linearly with Haste, just like 3% increased critical strike damage does not translate into 3% increased total damage.

Source 1: common sense.
    Source 2: sim different haste values and compare the relative increase in total output to the relative increase in Haste.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-10-14 at 11:24 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodianni View Post
    Use Burning Primal if you play only Destro. Use Legendary Metagem if you swap between specs often.
    This.. Just this...

It's a minor increase in QOL (provided you don't look at your burst - QOL because you don't get sub-gcd cast time incinerates) and a minor dps increase overall to use the Crit damage meta gem, as destruction.
    For Demo and Affliction it's a rather large dps loss.

Unless you're seriously dedicated to be pushing your character to the absolute limit as destruction, then there's no reason to swap meta gem for just a handful of fights in the raid instance. I personally play destruction on no bosses, so far. (I did use it on our first Sha of Pride kill, but haven't since)

Ah, something worthwhile to add to the conversation now:

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    That's just profoundly incorrect. Total damage output does not scale linearly with Haste, just like 3% increased critical strike damage does not translate into 3% increased total damage.

Source 1: common sense.
    Source 2: sim different haste values and compare the relative increase in total output to the relative increase in Haste.
    Isn't that better than a meaningless jab which adds nothing constructive to a thread?

Now, to address your concern:

There is also a "profound" difference between adding 30% haste worth of haste rating and getting a 30% spell haste buff. Barring, in this example, breakpoints (which in general aren't huge deviations) and caps, the rate at which you perform an action (such as dealing damage) does literally, linearly imply the amount of actions you can perform in a given time.

As I previously stated, 30% haste, if you are not GCD-capped, is 30% faster everything- resource generation, cast completions, dot ticks, pet attacks. The only thing haste cannot affect are your minimum GCDs (even though these do get modified to an extent by haste as well, the last time I looked into it), and cooldowns. However, any cooldown with a duration effect gets commensurately more value from the extra actions taken during the duration of the buff. The only spells that really don't benefit a great deal from haste for a destruction warlock seems to be conflagrate and havoc. Everything else should be 30% more effective.

On the other side of this, as the metagem proc is a buff, you can snapshot its value for dot ticks, increasing its effect somewhat above 30%. These two factors don't cancel eachother out entirely, but it is important to remember that there are pros as well as cons.

Feel free to give an example of why you don't think this is the case.

As far as 3% critical damage, its upper bound is in fact 3% total damage. If the original comments' words bother you so greatly, just substitute "less than or equal to" for "is". I did this implicitly upon reading the commentor's statement in the first place.

These still don't mean his reasoning is flawed, just his suppositions, which you can easily fix or debate instead of just saying "wut r u smokin."

Deleted

---edit---
    I made a mistake, 3% crit damage should be 0%(at 0 crit)-1.5%(at 100% crit) damage.
    I overestimated blue gem, It sucks.
    As for the uptime, it is always more than 10% for me, maybe I'm lucky.
    This is just an estimation, I know it is not accurate. Anyway, If the combat time is long enough, 30% haste = 30% damage bonus. Let Blizzard do the in-depth calculation
    Well actually i think he/she is right. Well ok, it's not exactly 30% or 3% and i don't know, if these assumptions were calculated by him or if he/she took the numbers just by the face value. But after some calculations i made, these numbers are in the ballpark of the "real" numbers.