Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know exactly how it's done in GW2, but I see tons of opportunities for douchebaggery, and we all know the WoW community would take FULL advantage of every loophole in the system.

For instance, what if you and your friends are all fighting a rare and some dude comes in at the last second and stabs it once...does he get loot? I should hope not, he basically did nothing.

So maybe it only counts if you DPS'd from the beginning? Like the first 80%? Well that could still be gamed...someone could simply DPS at the beginning then sit around and watch the others kill it, then collect loot at the end.

So I guess my point is...if such a system was in place some people wouldn't work together, they would just run around tagging mobs that people are already fighting, and simply collecting loot when others finish the mobs off for them.

Let GW2 be GW2 and let WoW be WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I don't know exactly how it's done in GW2, but I see tons of opportunities for douchebaggery, and we all know the WoW community would take FULL advantage of every loophole in the system.
    Yes but there is a ranking system as well.

Lets say you get to the boss he has 1/2 hp left and you hit it once and thats it. Good chance you will get a bronze ranking thats a little bit of copper/silver and good chance no items.

But if lets say you come in and the boss has 1/6th hp left and you keep attacking you will get a gold and rewarded for it. The ranking system is based on what you do at the time you get there up to the end of the fight. So lets say I walked up to a world boss he has 90% hp left and I hit it once and afk. I will not get a gold rank and if its a world boss like GW2"The Shatterer"/WoW"Garr" then good chance the loot I get will be shit if any loot at all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account

For instance, what if you and your friends are all fighting a rare and some dude comes in at the last second and stabs it once...does he get loot? I should hope not, he basically did nothing.

So maybe it only counts if you DPS'd from the beginning? Like the first 80%? Well that could still be gamed...someone could simply DPS at the beginning then sit around and watch the others kill it, then collect loot at the end.

So I guess my point is...if such a system was in place some people wouldn't work together, they would just run around tagging mobs that people are already fighting, and simply collecting loot when others finish the mobs off for them.
    Isn't that preferable though? I mean in WoW when you see an ally fighting a monster the optimal thing is to try and sabotage them or hope they fail, in a game like Guild Wars 2 it's to help, even if only a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Well what if CRZ didn't affect it & if you all had your own node so it really shouldn't affect it the only problem being you may have several people clicking on the same node if your all doing the same route.
    Ya I'm just saying CRZ mite effect it but shouldn't since GW2 kinda has a system like CRZ with guesting to servers and friends farming together that way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I completely agree with you on mob tagging, Blizzard's approach is now overcomplicated and inconsistent because they invented faction tag and omni-tag, but only apply them to specific creatures. Really they just need to stop dragging their heels and accept that this fundamental game concept has changed. Ditto being-in-a-raid-means-no-quest-progress. Those things made sense once upon a time but now the irritation they cause far outweighs the issues they prevent.

Blizzard says they want to make running into other members of your faction a positive experience rather than a hassle you try to avoid, well this is one thing they need to get a move on with. That design goal is diametrically opposed to resource competition, they can't have both (or at least, competition should be restricted solely to things like mining nodes).

I've never played GW2 but in many respects its design sounds like a next gen MMO versus WoW. I suspect Blizzard would love to implement some of the designs GW2 uses but it's difficult to radically change WoW given its size and age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    GW2 and WoW work differently.

With loot and exp system.

WoW is fine how it is.
    Yes they do work differently, but I feel WoW could use GW2's loot system like they do with certain new bosses and rares on the Timeless Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    If anything wow is already to sharey. So many people just leech off rares hitting them once and then do nothing.
    I find the exact opposite is true, I'm racing to a rare and miss getting the tag by half a second because people go balls to the wall DPSing it and don't just tag and let other people arrive.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Honestly MoP is WoW: GW2 edition for me.

They added AoE looting, a new tagging system, and dynamic events. All of which were big things I liked from the newer MMOs.
    Agreed, AND they plan on doing more of it, as stated in the video on the main page here the other day...you know, the interview with what's-her-hotness. They seemed to really like the explorable stuff, and really, who doesn't?
    In fairness, gw2 could take a lesson from wow about movement and interaction, and making every spell/ability 'feel' more solid, and like it connects, not sure if that's the sound, or the numbers, or timing....but wow has always had a real good feel about how to connect you pushing a button to how a spell 'feels' when it hits.
    I don't even have the words to express that. Anyone?
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

The benefits far outweight the negatives of such a system. As it is now in WoW, douchebaggery to the nth degree higher is actively encouraged, and the method to get ahead in playing.

Someone getting a slight benefit with little work is hardly an issue :x

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Honestly MoP is WoW: GW2 edition for me.

They added AoE looting, a new tagging system, and dynamic events. All of which were big things I liked from the newer MMOs.
    IIRC they added the new multi-tag system in early Cata, I remember it coming in in Tol Barad. But I think they've been tweaking it and using it more regularly (though not regularly enough) in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This isn't a game v game thread btw!

For example the mob tagging and material nodes in GW2 is perfect. It's impossible to steal kills or nodes in GW2, because of this players aren't discouraged to help each other because each player gets an equal share of loot.
    I like competition on nodes quest mobs etc.

That's exactly how rares on TI work right now. And it's a non-issue, the bigger problem is rares dying before you can move more than 100 yards because people kill them so fast. I'm damn grateful 1 tag is all that's required, half the time that's all I can get. I've seen rares I badly need die just as I get into shadowstep range.

In fact on recent kills I've deliberately stopped DPS after the tag to let other people get the tag before it dies. Not that it really works, the other people present pop all their CDs and zerg it dead in seconds regardless.

All that effort for what? People are impatient - the exact opposite happens, they burn it like crazy because they want their loot now.

Quote Originally Posted by washacked View Post
    too bad the 6000 people who have quit per day for the past 3 years don't

their story should increase tension between factions, in reality the gameplay increases tension between everyone. your own faction shouldn't be competition. that's not what a faction is

when a football player is selfish, the team suffers.
    Too bad WoW still dominates in subscribers. Your point is mute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    GW2 and WoW work differently.

With loot and exp system.

WoW is fine how it is.
    Even Blizzard disagrees with you. There's many MANY things Blizzard has taken from other MMOs/games including from GW2 as well. Expect dynamic events to become even more prevalent in the next expansion; Timeless Isle is only a taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Too bad WoW still dominates in subscribers. Your point is mute.
    His point is exceptionally valid. Blizzard agrees with it too which is why they've been attempting to find ways to maintain/grow subscriber numbers instead of losing them AND we've seen addition of things like multiple people not in a group being able to tag mobs on Timeless Isle.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Agreed, AND they plan on doing more of it, as stated in the video on the main page here the other day...you know, the interview with what's-her-hotness. They seemed to really like the explorable stuff, and really, who doesn't?
    In fairness, gw2 could take a lesson from wow about movement and interaction, and making every spell/ability 'feel' more solid, and like it connects, not sure if that's the sound, or the numbers, or timing....but wow has always had a real good feel about how to connect you pushing a button to how a spell 'feels' when it hits.
    I don't even have the words to express that. Anyone?
    It sounds like you're either talking about the terms "feedback" or "responsiveness".

Feedback would be referring to the action telling you it happened or worked correctly, in WoW the biggest failure there is from DoT effects, in GW2 it comes from frontal cones (engineer flamethrower for instance) and certain ground effect combos. I'm a little curious what abilities you found to have insufficient feedback in GW2, but that's way off topic.

If you're talking about the ability happening when you expect it to happen that would be responsiveness. Both games have an ability queue feature to counteract the effects of lag somewhat, they are both pretty lame, but I think that's just a limit on what can be done since this kind of responsiveness is usually pretty bad, with the best players learning how to cheese certain auto adjust features. This problem is bigger in FPS style games than anything else.

I imagine no tagging mobs in WoW like 40 people in a raid waiting to one shoot the time lost drake. That makes sense alright

Deleted
    I agree OP, shared mob tagging would promote social contact. I mean look at Timeless Isle : people actually speak when a rare spawns ! And they help each other rather than grief each other and steal kills and generally be antisocial ! It's almost as if the game were a MMORPG or something. You should be happy to see another player ! (as long as they're part of your faction - make the tag faction based in order to keep some Alliance-Horde conflict, even though I'm a PvEer, otherwise the faction split is sort of meaningless)
    Right now my biggest WoW dream would be to enable this for all the Yaungol mobs on Timeless Isle. Make the Shaohao rep grind a giant epic free-for-all war. tbh I wouldn't even give two shits about the opportunists who would just hit the mob once and leave (make them stay in combat until it's dead ?), it would just be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    I imagine no tagging mobs in WoW like 40 people in a raid waiting to one shoot the time lost drake. That makes sense alright
    Then just make it work like Huolon, or just deactivate shared tagging for that mob ?

Easy enough to scale the reward by the effort. WoW is not built around the system, so it would not be the same as GW2, obviously. GW2, random shmucks don't matter, bigger shmucks are events. For an event you may get no credit, bronze, silver or gold. If you ran up at the last minute or just one hit then did nothing, you'd get no reward at all.

For WoW, the system isn't built like that, so there'd need to be some basic changes. If everyone is getting whatever the item is (like how quest items work), then it probably doesn't matter, if it's for some bigger item, maybe a ticket system or matching drop rate against damage done (which screws healers somewhat, but it wouldn't be the most common system, and party can be weighted differerntly).

The system straight from GW2 wouldn't work for mob tagging, but that's not what most of us are saying anyway. Blizzard has redesigned the talent trees, they've reworked training for skills, they've changed some of the very basics of their game, they can figure out how shared tags work. It's more a matter of discussing whether the folks would want them to rework the system to work that way.

I'd like to see open tagging on everything. There is something wrong in an MMO when the prevailing attitude when encountering other players fighting a rare or hard NPC is "I'll just sit on my mount until you die so I can tag, or fly away when you kill it."