Thread: Mind Spike idea

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mind Spike idea

I've hit 90 with my priest recently, and was thinking about the sad state of Mind Spike.

It is pretty much useless in it's current state (at least in PvE) outside of FDCL procs (If you picked that talent)

I understand Blizz doesn't want us to spam MS as part of our regular rotation, but i think it could use some other fix instead of giving it horrible damage.

What if MS had charges? 6-8 charges with a 5 second recharge rate, reduced by haste. It would still consume our DoT, but it could be used to rapidly burst an enemy down, and since it has charges, we wouldn't be able to spam it for long. It would give us about 10 seconds of burst when mobs are dying fast, or whenever we need it.

Or give it a high mana cost. So we can't spam it forever without going OOM.

Or a reverse Arcane Blast mechanic. Make it deal heavy damage at first, dealing reduced damage with each subsequent casts on the same mob.

They should remove the take away dot feature of the mind spike. I dont even have mind spike on my action bars because I usually dot every thing up. I probably should put it back on my bar though because I hate when my dots tick something down to like 2k health then wear off, then I got this 2k health add following me around till I mind flay it off or wait for mind blast to be off cd.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2013-10-18 at 03:55 AM.

Or just like, completely redesign it or remove it? It hasn't worked out as a spell, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It done exactly what it's supposed to as a spell.

If the target will die in sub 10 second, spamming Mind Spike and Mind Blast does more damage than dots will.
    Don't fix what ain't broken scenario goin on here.

^
    Mind spike is fine. I doubt I am going to dot something with 400-600k hp that will lose ~150k health with MB, then ~100-200k with 2 mind spikes and then SW. And it is from low ilvl &low int perspective.
    What is better-2 GCD on dots, MB, then ~2sec on MF, then SW
    or MB, Spike, Spike, SW? Or even 1 spike if anything from this list will crit.
    When the new expansion will start, would you like to waste 2 GCD on every mob you're quest killing while leveling? I will act dumb spamming these 3 buttons for the win. Multidotting ~500-1000 mobs in non-raid environment while leveling is pain, MS>MF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    It forces you to double tap. that's it. It's a great change.
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    It's just so you can say you tapped something twice that day.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    It is pretty much useless in it's current state (at least in PvE) outside of FDCL procs (If you picked that talent)
    Not at all. I even glyph it for Immerseus, Garrosh and lately Norushen (adds die too fast for dots to roll on them).

Does mind flay not do more damage than mind spike?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it does.
    Uhm Dierdre.. first time I heard that ( really seems like a waste of a glyph slot)
    Anyway @Minoan Mind Spike is horrible.. It does a pity roll in killing smaller targets,but the damage is to bad to even work like that. Most players liked the spell from wrath just cus it had a cool name. But the spell itself really could get a upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling (and hope) that 6.0 will see it removed when they hopefully trim extra buttons again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Uhm Dierdre.. first time I heard that ( really seems like a waste of a glyph slot)
    It's not like I have anything awfully more important to glyph on those fights:
    For Immerseus I Halo and then finish puddles off with mind spike - mind blast - SWD. Then I heal one or two puddles.
    For Garrosh, I Mind Spike / Mind Blast mind controlled raid members. DoTs aren't only useless for that, they're dangerous since they keep rolling after people loses MC.
    And lately I've tried it on Norushen, since unless 2 dps go into trial at the same time, small adds are often dying too fast to justify rolling DoTs on them.

Just because it's not a core part of your rotation it doesn't mean the spell is bad: It serves its purpose. We have much worse spells in our spellbook (I'm looking at you, shackle undead and post-5.2 renew)

I find myself wanting something to cast on the move and I wonder if Mind Spike could fill that niche. A fel-flame level ability. Just something to do on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulu View Post
    I find myself wanting something to cast on the move and I wonder if Mind Spike could fill that niche. A fel-flame level ability. Just something to do on the move.
    Fel flame actually sucks. Worse than mind spike.

If the fight has so much movement that you can't even stand still for a cast, you should go FDCL; few fights have that much movement in SoO though. Otherwise you're better off casting PWS or PoM while you take one or two steps and then keep casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    It done exactly what it's supposed to as a spell.

If the target will die in sub 10 second, spamming Mind Spike and Mind Blast does more damage than dots will.
    Don't fix what ain't broken scenario goin on here.
    If something is going to die in less than 10 seconds, I usually go grab a beer, take a piss and let the classes designed for that handle it. It's a waste of nerve impulse to add your 2% contribution to raid trash of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicat View Post
    Does mind flay not do more damage than mind spike?
    No it does not.

Flay is 3147 (+ 150% of Spell power) Over 3 seconds base
    Spike is 1304 to 1376 (+ 130.4% of Spell power) 1.5 second cast

Plus if you're running Glyph of Mind Spike, You'll fit a Mind Blast after your second Spike which is instant cast 2693 to 2844 (+ 190.9% of Spell power) and also gives an orb. You'd likely get one of these in every 5-6 Mind Spike casts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    If something is going to die in less than 10 seconds, I usually go grab a beer, take a piss and let the classes designed for that handle it. It's a waste of nerve impulse to add your 2% contribution to raid trash of that sort.
    That kind of attitude is just being bad, plain and simple. If something needs to die, eg banners/totems on Galkras and Nazgrim and you aren't doing your part to kill it. Then you really do not deserve to be in that raid. The added benefit to be able to proc a talent like ToF is also valuable

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing not everyone has your view, or nothing would get killed.

"Screw it, let the mage kill it".
    "Dude, we don't have a mage!!!"

XD

No it does not.

Flay is 3147 (+ 150% of Spell power) Over 3 seconds base
    Spike is 1304 to 1376 (+ 130.4% of Spell power) 1.5 second cast

Plus if you're running Glyph of Mind Spike, You'll fit a Mind Blast after your second Spike which is instant cast 2693 to 2844 (+ 190.9% of Spell power) and also gives an orb. You'd likely get one of these in every 5-6 Mind Spike casts.
    Well I know about the tooltips, but I remember reading that flay was better than spike after a certain point of mastery or something and this was early in the expansion, like 5.2 or something, so the gap should only be bigger now right? Maybe the crit build thing favors it more too. Can any math whiz enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicat View Post
    Well I know about the tooltips, but I remember reading that flay was better than spike after a certain point of mastery or something and this was early in the expansion, like 5.2 or something, so the gap should only be bigger now right? Maybe the crit build thing favors it more too. Can any math whiz enlighten me?
    Running high on mastery (we're not doing that because of set bonuses) Mind Flay could potentially do more damage than unglyphed Mind Spike. Thing is, when you are using mind spike it's because you want things certainly and promptly dead.

Just did a test for laughs

It really does depend on how long the target is alive.

(had to take my cloak off to avoid the proc messing with it) so Stats were 38.83% haste 39.85% mastery 26.76% crit

Over 30 seconds Spike/blast spam did 2565620, or 91629 dps
    Flay did 3160635 or 95776 dps

Things to note though

In 3 casts using the spike/blast rotation, I did 230k (none crit, 2 1s casts and 1 instant cast). A total of 2 seconds to do that. Whereas mind flay would take almost twice as long to do the same damage off the start.

Sub 400k hp, or say 1.2 mil with 3 ppl on it, Spike will be worth way more. If you're the only one on it, and its got like 1.5 mil. Then you really should be dotting it and flaying.

It really does depend on how long the target is alive.

Over 30 seconds Spike/blast spam did
    Exactly. It's all about knowing how long the bugger's gonna live. If it's gonna last more than ~11 -12s, you're better off with DoTs + MF. Otherwise you should be spiking UNLESS you have 3 orbs (and you need that bugger to die NOW e.g. amber on paragons), then DP + MFI >>> spike.