Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't want it, don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sildor View Post
    The item squish is really needed, and I hope that they turn it down to the point where 300k DPS now becomes 3k.

That still means we'll be at 10-12k DPS but the end of the next expansion.

That basically puts the current expansion at a TBC level stat wise and the next one will be what wrath was.
    And older expansions then?

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    2) For the same reason that no new MMO launches with massive numbers.
    Well since no MMO launches with the amount of content or subscribers that WoW has I guess next you want a content and subscriber squish.

It's just harder to keep track of bigger numbers. That's it. Why SHOULD we have numbers like 659204242 rather than a simple 659? All of those trailing numbers make up a fraction of a percent of the damage, and while that number is an exaggeration, we're soon going to be dealing with player hits in the millions and perhaps even tens of millions that will have plenty of ultimately uninformative numbers in them. They might as well get cleaned up, and sooner is better than later.

I seriously don't understand the complaint that people will feel "weaker". Power, in the context of WoW, is completely relative. A 400k crit isn't powerful because 400k is a high number, a 400k crit is powerful because it one-shots a mob of my level. Feeling weaker because numbers have been globally reduced is just going out of your way to judge it at face value.

For all intents and purposes, the result is the same as the megadamage solution. The only difference is that they're not stroking your ego by calling your damage "mega". Heaven forbid
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-10-15 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    I like that the stat squish is winning despite the biased poll phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Why do you think text messages from the server make up any significant part of the bandwidth load?
    Do you know what is a String?

A string is just an array of chars. Each char takes 1 byte. So if you have a text with 255 chars (and it text has to have at least 1 byte so it knows which text it belongs to) it means you sent/received 8 32 bits integers. Now multiply it by those chats in s, trade, general, localdefense, guild, party, other channels, ...which is much more than combat values.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MistsofBoredom View Post
    But there's a strong indication, I think, that in the next expansion we'll have item level toned down and our characters severely weakened.
    Only that is not what is going to happen. Blizzard has made it clear that you will remain equally strong in relation to everything else.

I like the idea of a squish, I dislike Blizzard balancing and the chaotic nightmare we'll have to play through as we beta test it for them on live servers for a couple years.

On a good note after we live through it for those years we can rest assured that they will forfeit the idea in favor of another system that we'll beta test on live server for a few years after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather do 10k dmg then 10.000.000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

The thing is, if blizz says it has to happen, it has to happen. I seriously doubt they would be trying to push this through if it wasn't needed. A company don't upset their user base for lols.

I know people have previously run assembly progs that show little time cost difference between larger number calculations and smaller, but what we all don't know is the specifics of blizzard's engine. It might be a limitation of lua, or some server side scripting engine. It might be a limitation of the data base software, the network event layer, the client engine. I do believe that the limitation exists, and that the cost to raise that limitation is far greater then the cost to change the perception of the userbase, and squish ilvls (that would certainly require a lot of work to do, balance and QA. We'd be looking at a lot of man hours).

I like the idea, makes the game seem more polished and fluid. Wary about implementation.

Your character isn't getting weaker.

It's relative.

For example:
    Take any boss fight and divide all numbers by 10. The boss will still go down at the same time as before, but now, instead of having to deal with 9 Billion health, you have to deal with 900 million.

And if you get really crazy and divide everything by 100, then you won't have to worry about your crits taking up your precious viewing room.
    Because we all know you clog your HuD with addons.

There's something I don't understand about this whole issue, I've seen so many people that are against the squish come forward and say that the 'hardware limitation' issue isn't one and it's bullshit and yada yada, even when Blizzard EXPLICITLY stated that it WAS starting to become one. Why do these people continue bringing that argument forth? Same with the soloing old content bit, Blizzard EXPLICITLY (again) stated that it wouldn't reduce relative character power, so why bother arguing this point over and over and over again?

At least be intellectually honest and only argue on stuff like that you like big numbers which, while I am not of the same opinion, at least is a valid one.

Quote Originally Posted by Koji2k11 View Post
    maybe for you for me not so much it'S PoV issues you know there are ppl who like big numbers that just reflects the character progression if we were doing 20k dps suddenly i would just feel weaker thats how i feel about it, what we DO need is the stop of ability bloat and reduction of CC this is a thing that most ppl agree on
    But it's an illusion that you'd feel weaker. Enemy health isn't going to stay ridiculously high while player DPS is reduced. Everything is relative. 20k dps killing enemies with 40k health is the same thing as 200k dps with 400k health. There will just be an extra digit, but the effect in game is the exact same.
    Do not underestimate us.

i dont really care but id rather they stay as they are (i guess some people get confused with big numbers?) also it seems like a huge waste of time on the devs part

it will feel stupid to go from 3-4 Million Damage Chaos bolts and 1 million HP to 2000 damage chaos bolts and 1000 HP -.- I mean, i know its all relative, but I dont see a problem with big numbers.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    It's the in the graph Blizzard gave us.
    A graph from nearly two years ago. And people are assuming that exactly what they were planning then is exactly what they are planning now after listening to players comment about it and hasn't changed at all in two years.

It's moronic.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    it will feel stupid to go from 3-4 Million Damage Chaos bolts and 1 million HP to 2000 damage chaos bolts and 1000 HP -.- I mean, i know its all relative, but I dont see a problem with big numbers.
    The problem isn't with nice, round numbers like "3,000,000". The problem is with numbers like "3,942,218". In that example, after the first three digits, the numbers start to fall into irrelevance because they're so small compared to the total. It ends up being unnecessary fluff that increasingly gets out of hand. That, and it's just generally easier to work with smaller numbers, both in terms of the UI (big consideration with scrolling combat text) and other things.

I couldn't care less, they're just numbers.