Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    As long as their solution for lower-level dungeons is balanced properly (which will be a challenge, and anyone who says otherwise is misunderstanding how the squish will work), then it solves more problems than it creates.

If you're super-worried about "feeling" weaker because you kill a mob in 3 attacks that do 2000 damage instead of 3 attacks that do 200,000 damage... just make an addon that multiplies damage you do by 100 before it displays it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Re: item squish. Programmers rarely tell you no. They tell you how long something will take and what you have to give up to get it. (Source)
    Squishing is the more economical solution to re-engineering their 9-year-old combat code. The squish was already working and being tested internally back before MoP.
    Most economical =/= the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Your character won't be getting weaker.
    Yes, it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    That's because it's not input lag sally.

It's server-side processing slowdown. Numbers are not processed client-side. This isn't some silly little addon issue. The underlying game engine wasn't never meant to handle that kind of load.
    That's not because the numbers are too high. That's because the system had to calculate too many things at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Most economical =/= the best.
    No shit... Why doesn't Blizzard just redo the entire game engine and update all the game models, environments, and animations to the latest technology? Because there are limitations in development resources and they have to decide what is most economical.

Yes, it will.
    No it won't.

See how silly this line of arguing is?

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    That's because it's not input lag sally.

It's server-side processing slowdown. Numbers are not processed client-side. This isn't some silly little addon issue. The underlying game engine wasn't never meant to handle that kind of load.
    Do you want me to post my chronometer to show you that big numbers make absolutly 0 difference, silly?

That's not because the numbers are too high. That's because the system had to calculate too many things at the same time.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    No it won't.

See how silly this line of arguing is?
    Maybe you should actually read up what the squish will and won't do.
    *hint: your character will be relatively weaker against old content.

Yes, it will.
    That's all perception.

If they don't do the squish and you do 200,000 damage with an attack, it'll take you 3 hits to kill a monster that has 600,000 health. If they DO do the squish, your attack will do 2000 damage instead - but the monster will only have 6000 health, so you'll still kill it in 3 hits.

Previous expansion mobs are different, of course -- but that's not necessarily a bad thing for outside world mobs (from the perspective of someone leveling up right now, it's a better experience if a level 70 mob in Shadowmoon Valley is proportionally weaker than a level 71 mob in Howling Fjord as a level 40 mob is to a level 41 mob, or a level 90 mob is to a level 89 one, and so on), and they have a solution in the works for mobs in instances.

So long as the solution for mobs in instances works, your character doesn't grow weaker in terms of how fast you can kill a thing or what percentage of health you heal for or the percentage of your health that monsters hit you for, and so on.

Maybe you should actually read up what the squish will and won't do.
    *hint: your character will be relatively weaker against old content.
    Then they'll say you'll have a buff inside dungeons/raids then we say "how about world stuffs" then they don't answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo they should do an algorithm squish instead... so the math would add out to show i.e. 302k instead of 302,XXX for each hit. it would allow us to keep getting stronger while keeping the system in check
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

OP made a really idiotic poll. Your character still gets stronger in relation to the rest of the content in the game. Learn how things work before making ur dumb poll that's just asking people to support ur view of things.

It's like I make a poll saying are DKs OP? A. yes B. very C. What's a DK?

Squish is happening power hungry nerds that don't understand maths and things just gonna get upset. Say that for a minute when ur doing ur 25 raid w/ no squish and u push ur spell and 5minutes later the spell goes off and things..

- - - Updated - - -

also i like to see my screen on default settings w/o addons just to make it so i can see through all the numbers. some of us aren't like u math studies like to see things not numbers on our screen

Characters aren't getting weaker. Anyone who says that doesn't understand the system and relationships between numbers.

Also, do you like bosses with a badzillion adds, that heal themselves or phase transitions after which the boss gains a ridiculous amount of health so you feel like you've done it before literally a minute ago without wiping? If not, you'll love the squish. Because otherwise every boss is going to be llike that. From now until eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Characters aren't getting weaker. Anyone who says that doesn't understand the system and relationships between numbers.

Also, do you like bosses with a badzillion adds, that heal themselves or phase transitions after which the boss gains a ridiculous amount of health so you feel like you've done it before literally a minute ago without wiping? If not, you'll love the squish. Because otherwise every boss is going to be llike that. From now until eternity.

I mean if u anti squish people don't like reason and things with your numbers just look at Garrosh like Slant says. We gotta get work arounds these days just so we can have proper bosses that don't die to fast. Bosses just healing too much because we can't get the numbers as big as iu want em?

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdawn View Post
    imo they should do an algorithm squish instead... so the math would add out to show i.e. 302k instead of 302,XXX for each hit. it would allow us to keep getting stronger while keeping the system in check
    You will continue getting stronger (...than before and stronger than your opponents, too). Just sayin'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Without going into the realm of opinion or the insipid blatant fallacy that is "hardware limitations", why exactly is it needed? Can you explain to me that without a reasonable doubt that we somehow need a stat squish in order for the game to be better in some possible way?
    They're using the same combat engine that they were using in 2004. It's not a hardware limitation, it's a limitation with the actual battle engine itself. They could also rewrite the engine to support larger numbers and abbreviate it, which is why Blizzard actually mentioned this and their possible courses of action.

Also, you may want to look up bit shifting to get a better idea of how their setup works.

Quote Originally Posted by fappasaurus View Post
    I mean if u anti squish people don't like reason and things with your numbers just look at Garrosh like Slant says. We gotta get work arounds these days just so we can have proper bosses that don't die to fast. Bosses just healing too much because we can't get the numbers as big as iu want em?
    Actually, as a guildy pointed out to me, it has been explained on MMO-C before that we are reaching the absolute maximum of health that the WoW engine can handle. There is a cap, apparently. Beyond which numbers start to get funky (like continue into negative values, making bosses immune etc.). The item squish apparently is not for cosmetics alone (which I personally endorse, too), it is a real life necessity around which we can't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    They're using the same combat engine that they were using in 2004. It's not a hardware limitation, it's a limitation with the actual battle engine itself. They could also rewrite the engine to support larger numbers and abbreviate it, which is why Blizzard actually mentioned this and their possible courses of action.

Also, you may want to look up bit shifting to get a better idea of how their setup works.
    not every is working making 100k a year I can't be aforded to update my compuder every other year to support these new fancy animation things.. I'm still runing the core quad systern and it's going fine with wow why is that gotta change for u and ur rich computers?

Squish is happening power hungry nerds that don't understand maths and things just gonna get upset. Say that for a minute when ur doing ur 25 raid w/ no squish and u push ur spell and 5minutes later the spell goes off and things..
    Funny how it goes in this thread. Anyone who want lower numbers is applauded for saying it, but people who prefer things as they are, are flamed for that...
    Oh, that thing you mentioned has nothing to do with people doing 10k or 100k damage/healing per second. Funny how you say that someone should learn how it works, while you apparently don't have a clue yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    I actually prefer a number squish with adjusted algorithms for the future rather than rewriting an engine that has been pretty solid so far through the years.

Funny how it goes in this thread. Anyone who want lower numbers is applauded for saying it, but people who prefer things as they are, are flamed for that...
    Oh, that thing you mentioned has nothing to do with people doing 10k or 100k damage/healing per second. Funny how you say that someone should learn how it works, while you apparently don't have a clue yourself.
    yea it's simple human brain can only see how sized a number? 100billion never be big enough for u why does blizard have to invent the wheel for u they make it easy enouh as it is buffing the old raids

not every is working making 100k a year I can't be aforded to update my compuder every other year to support these new fancy animation things.. I'm still runing the core quad systern and it's going fine with wow why is that gotta change for u and ur rich computers?
    Why would you need a new computer?