Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Unless they fuck it up, now there is where my problem lies. If they do it just as half arsed as they did with CRZ and al the other new stuff they implemented then i dont want it to happen. If done correctly, i would not really mind. To me personally i do not see the need for a deflation of the numbers. I know they are getting higher and higher, but that is a design flaw that can be helpt by just not having this many different ilvl gear, lfr, flex, normal, heroic just for one tier of raiding. I love how all these fanboys are screaming that it is needed, while there is no real need for it to happen.
    Yea of course bigger numbers might have to send a bit more information down our internet lines, but with the computing power these days that should not be a real problem. And al the "reasons" for doing it are just stupid, "my skada gets wider" and "I dont want to see big numbers, they confuse me".
    Its just as in politics, you cant solve a problem by thinking the same way that created the problem in the first place. If they do this, and the game will keep going on for another 3 years you'll have the same problem all over again.
    is a little different then that. the cross realms r connected and thats a contracation of all the things just a wordaround not simple it all down. This nunber reduced is set to simplify everything straight really not a new adition to the game like the server mess thing that they are crossing over now. its almost the opposite thing happenms

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Updating the code would have bugs. Fucking with game mechanics like they're going to do will have bugs AND ridiculous imbalances. So yeah, which of those sounds more desirable?
    Not to mention that whatever some people choose to believe it will piss off a lot of people (not to mention the vast amount of people that never read anything and would log in to find themselves really nerfed as they would see it - and not even know why) and Blizzard WILL lose more subs because of it. Personally myself - I will just moan about it and eventually get used to it - it wont make me leave - but I know it will cause many people to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    No, I mean that the language might require the damage to be stored in 64 bit integers so it can do calculations with it on the HP.
    Wouldn't think so.... it should be totally possible to perform additions and subtractions of a 32 bit integer from a 64 bit integer. Even if you had to cast the 32 bit as 64 first (which I don't think you would).

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Not to mention that whatever some people choose to believe it will piss off a lot of people (not to mention the vast amount of people that never read anything and would log in to find themselves really nerfed as they would see it - and not even know why) and Blizzard WILL lose more subs because of it. Personally myself - I will just moan about it and eventually get used to it - it wont make me leave - but I know it will cause many people to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't think so.... it should be totally possible to perform additions and subtractions of a 32 bit integer from a 64 bit integer. Even if you had to cast the 32 bit as 64 first (which I don't think you would).
    is sorta a shame company like blizzard have no way to comidicate with their players about the game and why numbers r way to big right now.

i guess i figure they just send u message on whats going on why when things happen but idk all the tech behind those thuings
    Last edited by Aboubacar; 2013-10-17 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I see sorry attempts at making and interpreting "graphs" on MMO Champ every day. Of course, the geniuses among the player base can easily see all the things the amateur number crunchers in the professional industry don't have a grasp of. Yeah.
    You may have lost sight of the fact that Blizzard are not the only programmers and there are some on these forums that also with in the "professional industry" (not referring to myself - I work in IT but not at that level). Blizzard actually have a history of snapping up talented individuals from the community themselves so why is it hard to imagine the possibility that someone from the community my have a grasp on the numbers as well as (or even better maybe than Blizzard)?

Barely care about the matter... if it's scaled down, everything will be scaled down... it's just different numbers... noone is getting weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    One thing you won't have to do anymore than is leveling, good idea!
    Squish xp levels! lvl1-2 requires 0.5 xp...... "damn - I was with my mate and went afk and I leveled from 1 to 85 in 5 mins!"

Why would this matter?

Deleted
    To anyone who doesn't support the squish:

You did 2992839283 damage.
    Regrowth heals you for 39483948.
    Player X crits you for 492829382983 damage.
    You die.

Is this what you want the combat log to look like? Because it will happen in a few years at this rate. K's and M's added to the numbers will look just stupid and add unnecessary complication to the game.

Deleted
    I'd say I mostly don't care. Tho if someone asked me to chose between squish or not squish with a gun pointed to my head, I'd say squish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    To anyone who doesn't support the squish:

You did 2992839283 damage.
    Regrowth heals you for 39483948.
    Player X crits you for 492829382983 damage.
    You die.

Is this what you want the combat log to look like? Because it will happen in a few years at this rate. K's and M's added to the numbers will look just stupid and add unnecessary complication to the game.
    Does it really look much different to you then:
    You did 2983 damage.
    Regrowth heals you for 2978.
    Player X crits you for 3184 damage.
    You die.

It's not the size of the number that would cause confusion it's the numbers themselves. Having my HP squished won't make it any easier for me to say I have 4000 hp and I just got hit for 3984 then I got healed for 1928 so now I have 1944 HP. Nobody does that, people look at their health bar and %s and mods to determine where things are at. So really whether the health is in the thousands or billions it doesn't matter.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Does it really look much different to you then:
    You did 2983 damage.
    Regrowth heals you for 2978.
    Player X crits you for 3184 damage.
    You die.

It's not the size of the number that would cause confusion it's the numbers themselves. Having my HP squished won't make it any easier for me to say I have 4000 hp and I just got hit for 3984 then I got healed for 1928 so now I have 1944 HP. Nobody does that, people look at their health bar and %s and mods to determine where things are at. So really whether the health is in the thousands or billions it doesn't matter.
    It looks a lot different. Numbers lose their value when they are so ludicrously big.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    It looks a lot different. Numbers lose their value when they are so ludicrously big.
    So you're telling me that if we had the two examples below example 2 is easier for you to read and determine the relative strength of the hits/heals as compared to example 1?

Example 1:
    Your HP: 560,589
    You take a hit for: 491,958
    You then get healed for: 193,385
    You can't tell me how much HP you have left and the numbers are meaningless aka you don't know how much 491,958 health is compared to your total or how much 193,385 is compared to your total.

Example 2:
    Your HP: 5,231
    You take a hit for: 4,919
    You then get healed for: 1,933
    In this example you do know how much HP you have left and you can tell how much each hit/heal was as compared to your total?

Am I understanding you correctly? Because in both instances the numbers themselves are meaningless to me but I can easily tell at a glance roughly how much each heal/hit is compared to my total HP. Commas make things easy to read.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, I doubt anybody in this game even looks at the numbers really. Sure you may enjoy seeing a 1 mil damage crit or a big heal but the numbers don't really matter. When I'm healing for example I don't even look at the flashing green numbers, I look at my heal addon which shows health bars to determine who needs a heal and who doesn't. Whether the person has 10 hp or 10 million the % will always be the same so it doesn't even matter to me and I'd wager it doesn't matter to 99% of the players in game either. So you're argument about losing meaning has already happened because nobody cares.
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2013-10-17 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted
    So you're telling me that if we had the two examples below example 2 is easier for you to read and determine the relative strength of the hits/heals as compared to example 1?

Example 1:
    Your HP: 560,589
    You take a hit for: 491,958
    You then get healed for: 193,385
    You can't tell me how much HP you have left and the numbers are meaningless aka you don't know how much 491,958 health is compared to your total or how much 193,385 is compared to your total.

Example 2:
    Your HP: 5,231
    You take a hit for: 4,919
    You then get healed for: 1,933
    In this example you do know how much HP you have left and you can tell how much each hit/heal was as compared to your total?

Am I understanding you correctly? Because in both instances the numbers themselves are meaningless to me but I can easily tell at a glance roughly how much each heal/hit is compared to my total HP. Commas make things easy to read.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, I doubt anybody in this game even looks at the numbers really. Sure you may enjoy seeing a 1 mil damage crit or a big heal but the numbers don't really matter. When I'm healing for example I don't even look at the flashing green numbers, I look at my heal addon which shows health bars to determine who needs a heal and who doesn't. Whether the person has 10 hp or 10 million the % will always be the same so it doesn't even matter to me and I'd wager it doesn't matter to 99% of the players in game either. So you're argument about losing meaning has already happened because nobody cares.
    If you don't care about numbers, then you don't care about squishing them am I right?

Personnally I don't care, thats why squish or not squish its the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kamran View Post
    If you don't care about numbers, then you don't care about squishing them am I right?

Personnally I don't care, thats why squish or not squish its the same for me.
    I don't care about them squishing to change the size of the numbers no. I care about the squish because despite them saying it will not affect anything, we all know it will because Blizz's track record for that sort of thing is them always screwing up. Additionally it will affect my power as compared to other levels and the bandaid fix of a zone wide aura for old raids is bad as it doesn't affect the world.

So I am opposed to the squish because they'll fuck it up, not because I care about them making big numbers smaller. I do like my big hits but I'll get over it.

I don't care about them squishing to change the size of the numbers no. I care about the squish because despite them saying it will not affect anything, we all know it will because Blizz's track record for that sort of thing is them always screwing up. Additionally it will affect my power as compared to other levels and the bandaid fix of a zone wide aura for old raids is bad as it doesn't affect the world.

So I am opposed to the squish because they'll fuck it up, not because I care about them making big numbers smaller. I do like my big hits but I'll get over it.
    Put away your tinfoil hat, grab the lube, cause...

It's going to happen. Like it or not. If you want to continue playing the game. Then my recommendation to you, is to prepare yourself. Two months after the release, it will be the same numbers, the same meaning, and the same "big crits".

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I'm not?
    No, you're not. You are presenting arguments you have somehow convinced yourself are valuable, but they don't actually show that the item squish is the wrong thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    That's because it's not input lag sally.

It's server-side processing slowdown.
    The lag has nothing to do with the size of the numbers. Stop with that ridiculous notion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Don't think the numbers of digits have anything to do with your bad fps.
    Probably not, but realize that perhaps the most computationally expensive aspect of the large stats is the displaying of those numbers in floating combat text.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fappasaurus View Post
    I dont think u understad in cata theres no fps problms. In the lich night no- either. So now I am in LFR no low fps, then flex, then normal no problems. Go into the 25 herocs and look bigger numbers biggers gear and bam fps to 2 or 5 or whatever. Whas like this last raid to just the heroic with the big numbers throwing it all off.

Don't believe me jus t think about it. Bigger numbers take more memory and bigger cpu. cut it all off and we dont need thesee rich people supercompter to handle a little game
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It's not about numbers being difficult to read. It's about the fact that when numbers grow to ridiculous level, they lose their value. They become silly. A good example would be the power levels of Dragon Ball. At an early point in the series, "over 9000" was a really high power level. Yet, late in the series we saw numbers in the millions. This makes the numbers lose their value. Again, it has nothing to do with difficulty in understanding of big numbers. Trust me, I'm a numbers guy, I love big numbers. But once upon a time, 50k HP was a lot. Which makes millions of HP feel silly.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

I don't care about them squishing to change the size of the numbers no. I care about the squish because despite them saying it will not affect anything, we all know it will because Blizz's track record for that sort of thing is them always screwing up.
    The thing is, they have to do SOMETHING. The system will break in the next expansion without some kind of change. So your argument "Blizzard will screw up!" applies regardless, and is no reason to object to the squish over the other courses of action.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Was going to vote but honestly the polls is very biased. Let me make something very clear...your toon ...will ...not ...get ...stronger ...or ....weaker ....it ....willl ....stay ....just ....as ....strong ....as ....it ....is ....now. Everything is relative. If it takes you 10seconds to kill an elite....after the "stat nerf" it will....guess what....STILL TAKE 10 GOD DAMN SECONDS TO KILL IT. I'm sorry but at the moment stat values are getting out of hand. With out my stat trinket and other BiS gear i have over 800k life raid buffed as a caster hitting the boss with 2million Chaos bolts who has 1.5 BILLION life. I would be perfectly happy having 40k life hit for 100k Chaos bolt on a boss who has 75 million life. Nothing changed the scale is exactly the same but it leaves room to grow. Right now at this rate next expansion would put CASATERS at over 3 million life doing 10mil spells on trillion health bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    let's go metric and tautalogical

everything and everyone has exacty 100% of the health that it has!

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!