Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How did Deathwing die?

I'm super late to this. I (regrettably) stopped raiding when DS came out. I've read the Wowpedia pages on both Deathwings encounters, but it doesn't quite say what finally took him down. What happened? How did Thrall get the Dragon Soul?

Nordormu took us to an alternate timelines past to steal the dragon soul while showing us an alternate future where deathwing won and the world was ghosts and ash. we killed his future self murozond, leader of the twilights who was mad and weak in this alternate timeline then the aspects put all their powers into the dragon soul which thrall used from the deck of an airship to blow a beam right through deathwing.

He crashed into the maelstrom, all seems fine, then he explodes as a mass of tentacles and magma, jaw hanging off, arms wipped off and torso like a necromorph and we break up the tentacles so his torso crashes over and we beat his head in. He reels back because the 4 aspects show up and with one last beam from the dragon soul he explodes - but his death also takes away all the aspects powers as well.

We went back in time to steal the dragon soul. (The 'Eternity' dungeons you can do)

Thrall used it to shoot down Deathwing, who crashed into the maelstrom.

Deathwing started to emerge from the maelstrom, but was breaking apart, the corrupted Old God energies and the energy from the Demon Soul he absorbed were destroying his body. He started to cast Cataclysm, which would wipe out all life on Azeroth. The Dragon Aspects used their remaining energy to help us fight him.

We beat him down and Thrall blasted him with the remaining energy in the dragon soul, which vaporized him, except for his chin, which we took back to our respective cities as a trophy.

I did do the 5mans, but I don't remember taking the Dragon Soul. That makes sense. But it also doesn't. If we took it and altered the timeline, Deathwing wouldn't have had it to begin with and could never have used it like he did.

Deleted
    Players went and got the Dragon Soul from the Well of Eternity which is a CoT dungeon.
    In the raid we had Thrall power it up at the top of Wyrmrest and he hit Deathwing with it, who, in turn got pissed off, rammed the Horde airship and flew away in the direction of the Maelstom. Players chased him on the alliance airship and eventually Thrall got another shot off on Deathwing, sending him down into the Maelstrom. When Deathwing emerged from the Maelstrom his body had already fallen apart and was twisted beyond recognition. After a fight between Deathwing, the Aspects and the players Thrall "overcharged" the Dragonsoul with the power of the 4 aspects, fired on Deathwing once more and *poof* Deathwing exploded.

Thrall only wounded him with the Dragon Soul.
    Deathwing fled and the heroes pursued him with the Skyfire, getting onto him and destroying the armor plates that kept him together one by one until the energies were going coocoo for cocopuffs in him and he fell into the maelstrom from which he then emerged. The heroes held him off while the Aspects + Thrall charged up the lasers and finally ended him - resulting in him exploding in a sparkly "my little pony"-esque cloud. BAM.

Quote Originally Posted by reyina View Post
    I did do the 5mans, but I don't remember taking the Dragon Soul. That makes sense. But it also doesn't. If we took it and altered the timeline, Deathwing wouldn't have had it to begin with and could never have used it like he did.
    It was an alternate timeline. They pointed out in the shattering that nozdormu doesn't just maintain the order of our 'prime' timeline, but is able to travel through the others and witness possible flaws and how to avoid them. First he showed us what will happen in a timeline where we lose, then he took us to one where some random night elves showed up, beat up azsharas guards and took the dragon soul and right now that timeline is probably under the rule of the legion. Of course nozdormu probably wouldnt have done so unless he picked a timeline where that was the consequence anyway regardless of his actions. Thats how he rolls after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    we killed his future self murozond, leader of the twilights who was mad and weak in this alternate timeline
    Twilights are DWs/Blacks creations.
    Murozond is responsible of the Infinites...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    As said, it was an alternate timeline that Nozdormu took us to. What that means is, there's our timeline, then there's timeline X. We go to timeline X, take the Dragon Soul, use it in our timeline to destroy Deathwing, and (presumably) return it to timeline X. That's what I think happened at least, I'm not too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Twilights are DWs/Blacks creations.
    Murozond is responsible of the Infinites...
    I always get the two names confused, that or chromatics

This has been helpful. Thanks, guys. I wish I was more present during that patch. I'll kill him one day, when it's like, 5-man-able and can gather some bored friends.

Thrall did a Kahmehhamehha and erased deathwing from azeroth, nothing to see here. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post
    As said, it was an alternate timeline that Nozdormu took us to. What that means is, there's our timeline, then there's timeline X. We go to timeline X, take the Dragon Soul, use it in our timeline to destroy Deathwing, and (presumably) return it to timeline X. That's what I think happened at least, I'm not too sure.
    There were no alternate timelines involved. Nozdormu retrieved the Dragon Soul from the past at the end of the Well of Eternity dungeon, and states that he's using his powers over time to prevent any paradoxes from occurring as a result. When Deathwing dies and Nozdormu's powers over time fade, he says that the Dragon Soul was automatically returned to its correct point in the timestream.

I'll kill him one day, when it's like, 5-man-able and can gather some bored friends.
    It pretty much is at level 90.

We popped him like a pinata. Confetti was everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There were no alternate timelines involved. Nozdormu retrieved the Dragon Soul from the past at the end of the Well of Eternity dungeon, and states that he's using his powers over time to prevent any paradoxes from occurring as a result. When Deathwing dies and Nozdormu's powers over time fade, he says that the Dragon Soul was automatically returned to its correct point in the timestream.
    That makes more sense.

Deleted
    This has been helpful. Thanks, guys. I wish I was more present during that patch. I'll kill him one day, when it's like, 5-man-able and can gather some bored friends.
    It is soloable by a DK blood so..i think it would be 3man able on normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkdejager View Post
    It is soloable by a DK blood so..i think it would be 3man able on normal.
    Good to know

First we went to the future and killed Murozond to take control of the timeways, so we could go back in time to retrieve the dragon soul before it is lost forever at the bottom of the well of eternity. Then we decide it will be safer to walk through the Dragonblight to deliver it to wyrmrest temple because apparently you can't use teleportation magic while carrying the dragonsoul (I don't know this, I'm just guessing).

And then we go into the raid portal, and for some reason we're outside Wyrmrest temple again. Because I guess instead of staying inside to protect it, we decided to leave Thrall and the Dragons alone with it to fend for themselves.

Then we played Skyrim, and then pressed the button, and then killed a cow on an airship, and then thrall and the dragons shot deathwing in the spine with the dragonsoul, and then he turned into an octopus, so we cut off all of his limbs and then punched him in the face. And then we took his elementium chin and hung it up as a trophy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Nordormu took us to an alternate timelines past to steal the dragon soul while showing us an alternate future where deathwing won and the world was ghosts and ash. we killed his future self murozond, leader of the twilights who was mad and weak in this alternate timeline then the aspects put all their powers into the dragon soul which thrall used from the deck of an airship to blow a beam right through deathwing.

He crashed into the maelstrom, all seems fine, then he explodes as a mass of tentacles and magma, jaw hanging off, arms wipped off and torso like a necromorph and we break up the tentacles so his torso crashes over and we beat his head in. He reels back because the 4 aspects show up and with one last beam from the dragon soul he explodes - but his death also takes away all the aspects powers as well.
    Excuse me? Deathwing's death did not remove the aspects power, the aspects lost their powers because their purpose is forfilled. They no longer are the protectors of Azeroth but we are now it's protectors!

Thall used his "Special Beam Cannon" and like all who have come before to meet it's gaze Deathwing was vaporised.

In none awesome: Used the dues ex machina, Dragon Soul, to blow him away after charging it with the Aspects powers
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.