Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish my (ex) Girlfriend never played. We were together for a fair number of years, leveled together, raided together etc. Then when we broke up I completely lost interest in WoW. Whenever I level an alt through Vanilla/TBC content (And to a lesser extent Wotlk - when we broke up) I get double the nostalgia =/

I reminded her that we like a lot of the same things, and played the same sort of video games together when we first started dating. Lots of Diablo 2.

Then she played for a few weeks. Every time she had to interact with someone they were a real pill. Then she became exasperated with game design so miserable that none of the learn to play element is in the game but in guides and forums.

This was back in Vanilla too (before Dire Maul even), so this isn't me talking about dumbing down of WoW or how bad the community has gotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't convince her, it just sort of happened.

My wife likes to try the things I'm interested in, just to see what the draw is, she also made fun of me and laughed but it was teasing. Basically I let her know that she could create a character on my account and I even let her pick her own class without interference from me (she made a spacegoat warrior, which I didn't think she would enjoy but has been her main for almost 2 years now and actually the account is hers now).

If your GF has played some games already then there is a chance she might get hooked but don't force it. You have to realized that it's healthy to have interests that aren't the same (it'll be an escape away from her as well) but let her know that she can try it any time on your account.

10+ Year Old Account
    my boyfriend sucks as wow,
    he tried, got frustrated, and stopped.

that's that.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    my boyfriend sucks as wow,
    he tried, got frustrated, and stopped.

that's that.
    Lmao.

"That's that" love it!

I started playing during BC because a bunch of my coworkers played, and then I got my then-boyfriend to try it (his coworkers all played back then, too, so it wasn't difficult to convince him). I stopped playing for a while after we broke up, but then started again mid-Cata, and got my new then-boyfriend to play - that was also pretty easy. He saw me playing, saw how much I enjoyed it, and asked me to teach him. We played and raided together for a while, and then when we broke up, he stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whittle1523 View Post
    She literally laughs at me and calls me names. Then walks away : /
    I couldn't and wouldn't put up with that.
    <Washed Up Scrubs> - Mal'Ganis (US)
    Visit my stream! I stream every night starting at 9 PM EST.
    Also, be sure to visit my YouTube channel!

I just need a way to show her the things that could catch her eye and seem relevant to her.
    I bet your fist could catch her eye... She won't call you names anymore either.

My wife knew I was a gaming nerd when we met...I've never hid my gaming nerdiness from anyone, even in high school as part of the popular crowd I used to talk about my obsession with MUDs (off topic). Anyway, when we moved in together, Star Wars Galaxies came out and she would play my toons when I was working and would farm materials, craft, etc. Then WoW was in beta and I received an invite and it basically went from there. We played WoW and other MMO's/Games ever since.

If you're not living together, it should only be a matter of life/time balance with her as opposed to getting her to play the game.

Since you are living together and she has no interest, nor have you shown her you're interested, this may be hard if she is unwilling to compromise. If she's not remotely interested in playing it with you, I would drop the requests to play and simply schedule time for WoW if you want to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    My spouse and I both love games and were into them before we met. If that wasn't the case, trying to push one person to have an interest doesn't seem feasible. It probably won't work.

Also, man, I've played with too many really terrible players who were only there because they thought it was the best way to spend time with their partner even though they didn't enjoy it and didn't put any effort into being good enough for group content.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Roll Horde.

Sit her down and help her make a Blood Elf hunter.

The combination of customizing her avatar and collecting cute and furry pets either for combat or pet battles will draw her in.

Chicks dig collecting cute pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Roll Horde.

Sit her down and help her make a Blood Elf hunter.

The combination of customizing her avatar and collecting cute and furry pets either for combat or pet battles will draw her in.

Chicks dig collecting cute pets.
    Pretty much.

If this doesn't do the trick, I wouldn't push it.

Deleted
    don't try to make her play?
    if she does not want to then leave it at that

find something you both think is fun to do together so that not only one of you are having fun

i threatened with no sex.

Find a hobby that interests both of you, don't force her into this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Don't worry bud, I'm 24 years old, live with my girl too and she's the exact same way. She isn't a gamer at all, at the most she'll play something like little big planet, but that's it. She likes watching me play GTA 5 though, I'll give her that.

Anyway, I've mentioned WoW to her as a joke before and she literally laughed and said no. Plain and simple, it's probably not in her genes to play vids like WoW, but it didn't hurt to try and mention it to her. I'll probably try again, and maybe even show her this thread to say that there's other people out there in the same exact boat at me that wished his gf played WoW with him.

I just need a way to show her the things that could catch her eye and seem relevant to her.
    I can't understand why you're dating someone would would make fun of you for something you enjoy.

It sounds like she really isn't interested. I got my boyfriend to play with me, even though he's not at all a gamer, by talking to him about the lore and developing some attachment to a character that fit into the lore of the world- he's a writer, so that worked for him. I expressed to him that it would mean a lot to me if he would be willing to give it a try and play with me, because I wanted him to be a part of a hobby that meant a lot to me. We leveled together and he found things about it that he liked. However, he never, never laughed at my love for Warcraft because he knew how much I enjoy it. If your girlfriend is going to laugh at you over things you like and value... I don't know what to tell you, man, but maybe you shouldn't be dating her.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-10-16 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I can't understand why you're dating someone would would make fun of you for something you enjoy.

It sounds like she really isn't interested. I got my boyfriend to play with me, even though he's not at all a gamer, by talking to him about the lore and developing some attachment to a character that fit into the lore of the world- he's a writer, so that worked for him. We leveled together and he found things about it that he liked. However, he never, never laughed at my love for Warcraft because he knew how much I enjoy it. If your girlfriend is going to laugh at you over things you like and value... I don't know what to tell you, man, but maybe you shouldn't be dating her.
    I can agree with this. And to anyone who would say "it's just a game," it's really not. A lot of games aren't what they used to be, and MMO's hold a certain psychological attachment (which is one of the things that make the "addictive"). Making your own character, delving into a new world, investing time with friends and strangers, it becomes something more than "just a game". Given that I'm on MMOC, I'm sure many of you can understand this, but people who don't play don't really understand it.

Sports fans, for instance, who just WATCH a game can emotional, talk for hours, buy endless amounts of sports items for something they don't even do... It's a social interaction that people go crazy over and are very attached to. I'm not a sports fan myself, and before WoW, I could never understand how they would get so worked up over something like that.

For me personally, I have OCD, real OCD, not the "amg I like my desk clean I have OCD LOLZ" (more obsessive than compulsive), so my mind never stops. I've found that WoW actually helps me to hone the obsessive thinking into something useful. When I don't have something to obsess over, my mind races, and anyone who has had to deal with it understands how frustrating it can be. I actually find that when I'm able to play WoW consistently, a lot of other things make sense in my normal life. I'm not saying that WoW has some great power, I'm just saying that it gives me something to focus my thoughts on.

I'm 31, I've been in management since I was 19, finished college (after failing out of high school at 15), and always strived to be the best at what I do. WoW gives me something else to just focus my mind on during times when there's nothing else for me to really obsess about.

Probably sounds stupid to everyone, but it makes sense to me. lol

The point I'm making here is that WoW isn't Checkers or Super Mario. It's not just "something you do" for a lot of people. It's actually a part of their life and who they are. And if you're one of those people who this is a part of your life for, your significant other needs to recognize that and respect it as a part of you.

So, how did you convince your girlfriend to try WOW? Did you make her watch a YouTube video, let her watch you play, or just force her to do a trial account? Your stories and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Don't do any of that. You'll just annoy her. It's OK if you do things that she doesn't like. I'm sure there are things she does that you won't like. That's how terms like "chick flick" come into being. I actually met my wife on a road trip to meet other players on a text-based MMO, so she was already familiar with my hobby. If you only want to play WoW every now and then go for it. Your girlfriend doesn't need to hold your hand through everything you do. Spend your together time doing things you both enjoy doing together. Otherwise she'll resent you for selfishly squandering your together time on something that only you enjoy.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-10-16 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm no gamer by a long stretch but WoW is my weak spot aha. Anyways, one of my ex's always wanted to play but I never ever let her... just one of those things. She'd ask and ask and I'd be vague about it and just ignore the topic completely because my friends always raved how "good" I was at WoW. With women just show them stuff they can't have or do and they'll be all over it... my terrible advice aha
    Hydrogen the Undying
    Ry, Hellscream's Downfall
    Economics, Champion of Ulduar
    Dissonance - We raid mornings and stuff. Dissonanceguild.com (US 186, US #3 morning guild)
    Twitter: Ry_walk. Economics Major