[Ele] Socket bonus or not?

So this is my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Alandoo/simple

And here's my question: Should i avoid the socket bonuses and stop using int + mastery and go pure mastery? There are ALOT of red sockets in tier gear unfortunately.

I know that usually you would prefer int unless you can get twice the secondary stat (roughly, depending on the sim results ofcause). But the immerseus trinket got me wondering if the pure stat increase + the 8% increase might be better. Thoughts?

I'm not using simcrafts as i find it annoying, i like to reforge on my own going for the caps i like, to get the "personal" touch on my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Togeshero View Post

And here's my question: Should i avoid the socket bonuses and stop using int + mastery and go pure mastery? There are ALOT of red sockets in tier gear unfortunately.

I know that usually you would prefer int unless you can get twice the secondary stat (roughly, depending on the sim results ofcause). But the immerseus trinket got me wondering if the pure stat increase + the 8% increase might be better. Thoughts?

I'm not using simcrafts as i find it annoying, i like to reforge on my own going for the caps i like, to get the "personal" touch on my gear.
    If that's the case I refer you to my signature. OT i see a lot of higher echelon elementals going pure mastery, likely going for 100% at some point.
    do what you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacepunch View Post
    If that's the case I refer you to my signature. OT i see a lot of higher echelon elementals going pure mastery, likely going for 100% at some point.
    Even though i don't use sim, it doesn't mean i don't try to max my dps as much as i can. Which is again why the pure mastery question comes in as int gives more dps through sims. I can see why you would go for the 100% cap, but is this even possible with out bis heroic gear? Which i don't have acces to atm.

Even with the Immerseus trinket, 140 intel and 180 mastery is still better than 320 mastery (80 intel + socket bonus). In order for it not to be, Mastery would have to be worth 87.5% of Intel's value. Without simming, it's impossible to tell exactly how high your Mastery/Haste scaling values are, but in general they don't hover higher than about 60%. Typically, intel socket bonuses from red sockets are highly worthwhile. You are currently gemming exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyolsen View Post
    Even with the Immerseus trinket, 140 intel and 180 mastery is still better than 320 mastery (80 intel + socket bonus). In order for it not to be, Mastery would have to be worth 87.5% of Intel's value. Without simming, it's impossible to tell exactly how high your Mastery/Haste scaling values are, but in general they don't hover higher than about 60%. Typically, intel socket bonuses from red sockets are highly worthwhile. You are currently gemming exactly right.
    Yeah I thought so as well but someone might know something i didn't, thx for the clerification

Deleted
    When i went for setbonuses only, i bursted 1.1 mil, with mastery i do 1.3 to 1.5 mil (SINGLE TARGET)
    Last edited by mmocf5e1a77ceb; 2013-10-17 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Bad spelling, cuz im bad.

Why are you reforging mastery to spirit and hit to haste oO, if you have not enough hit socket it, but never reforge to it!

Also decide if you want to go full mastery or full haste, not both!
    Last edited by Hirork; 2013-10-17 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirork View Post
    Why are you reforging mastery to spirit and hit to haste oO, if you have not enough hit socket it, but never reforge to it!

While I agree that in the case of the OP, the reforges are illogical, never, like always, is a tough word. If you don't have any blue sockets, it may be better to reforge crit -> spirit (reforge to spirit rather than haste so the immerseus trinket provides extra) rather than gemming for it. In the case of my gear, I needed 375ish hit rating to reach cap. I could have gemmed an extra 480 spirit at the cost of haste/mastery or I could have reforged my cloak for 390 spirit at the cost of critical strike.

There are circumstances in which "non-ideal" practices are actually preferable.

Just sim it and multiply your stat weights by the amount of the stat you would get if you gemmed a certain way. Gem whichever way gives you the highest DPS gain.

He already said he isn't going to sim it, so there's really not much more advice to give here.

There are so many things about this post that rustles my jimmies.

There's no advice to give to a person who wants to be sub optimal because "i want a personal touch on my gear". You're a shaman not an interior designer.

I already said i don't want to be sub-optimal. i just don't use sims, using sim doesn't make you a hero would you chill abit? What's with the "not using sim makes you a scrup" attitude.

As i said, there are some caps that fit my style ie. the 33% haste for 1.5 cast time flat out, which is why i go for a bit of haste over mastery as i can't hit that cap without going for it a little hence the "illogical" reforges. If you look at my reforges you can see i only reforge away from mastery once, and never haste to hit the caps. and the spirit reforge on my cloak will be fixed as soon as i get tier legs.

Edit: bolded part is what i ment with personal touch. Since everyone says mastery>haste that would leave me at aroud 1.55 cast time removing my haste gems.

Edit2: Spirit reforge on cloak is no longer there.
    Last edited by Togeshero; 2013-10-20 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirork View Post
    I never used simcraft prior to 5.3 as i always felt fine going with what most people suggested on these forums... however once i downloaded it and started using it I noticed my stat weights would change quite a bit every time I got a new piece of gear to the point where 1 day haste was better and the next day mastery was better. I started using reforge plots and when i would change my gear to match the best possible stats, I would sim again and it would change... now maybe I was doing something wrong with simcraft (dont think so) but in between that time I changed out so many gems I ended up with some full mastery and some full haste trying to meet the best spots which ultimately made very little difference anyway. Whatever way you gem though never ignore int bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyolsen View Post
    What you said seems to be true for single target.
    When I simmed my shammy for 2 targets it was like Int 9, mastery 7, haste 6.
    For 3+ targets stats went crazy with int 10, mastery 9.8, crit 8 and haste 7, meaning you would gem pure mastery above anything else.