Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do people have to repay welfare?

Ok I have never been on it and dont know anyone who has. I did take out student loans, which I guess is a type of government assistance, and I have to pay those back. So is welfare the same? Do people have to pay back what they received once they get a real job and are making enough money to cover all of their expenses. If not, why the hell not? I mean they are basically stealing money from tax payers right? If I take out a loan from the bank and dont repay it they come either repo my car or foreclose on my home becuase that money belongs to the bank. So if people refuse to repay welfare arent they stealing from the tax payers and government? I understand some people need assistance, just like when people take out student loans, but why shouldnt they have to pay it back?

Depends on what you mean by 'welfare'. But most likely, no.

Deleted
    Welfare is not a loan, it is supposed to help people survive until they get a job (in theory), forcing people to pay it back will either encourage crime to pay for it or not to come off welfare at all to avoid paying it back.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    And yet the Furloughed Government workers are getting backpay and dont have to pay back any Unemployment they have gotten.

Deleted
    As I understand it, the money you get from welfare (for being unemployed, cant explain others) you can keep, the "paying back" is the taxes. If you don't get a job then it gets complicated because it would be inhumane to ruin their life and strip them from all money, it would be stupid to let them keep money while not making an effort to get a job ( I am no expert, if you know how it really works then correct me, remember it differs for countries)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffy33 View Post
    Ok I have never been on it and dont know anyone who has. I did take out student loans, which I guess is a type of government assistance, and I have to pay those back. So is welfare the same? Do people have to pay back what they received once they get a real job and are making enough money to cover all of their expenses. If not, why the hell not? I mean they are basically stealing money from tax payers right? If I take out a loan from the bank and dont repay it they come either repo my car or foreclose on my home becuase that money belongs to the bank. So if people refuse to repay welfare arent they stealing from the tax payers and government? I understand some people need assistance, just like when people take out student loans, but why shouldnt they have to pay it back?
    It's understood to be a form of insurance against unemployment, that the recipient has already (ostensibly) been paying premiums on out of each check (through their federal taxes). At least I'm assuming you're talking about unemployment insurance when you reference "welfare". Any other benefits, such as disability or SNAP are handled similarly, in that you are assumed to pay your taxes and that "pays for" those programs so they will be there if/when you may need them.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Depending on the welfare, yes. If you received cash assistance, and later were awarded disability, they may seek to reclaim the money you were paid while waiting.

As Rich pointed out however, it's not a loan. It's more akin to a Pell Grant, which is another form of government assistance. You get that money just for attending, without any obligation to pay it back, and are granted quite a bit of latitude on what you can spend it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    And yet the Furloughed Government workers are getting backpay and dont have to pay back any Unemployment they have gotten.
    People are getting unemployment? It's been what, two weeks? Last time I filed for unemployment, the verification letter took 8 weeks to get to my house, and that was just Step 1.

They're not stealing money. Stealing would imply it's against the law, and since it's the government giving out the money we know that isn't true. I hope someday you grow out of your Randian delusions.

And you definitely know people who are taking welfare. Everyone you know over the age of 65, for starters (Medicare and Social Security). Basically any employee you've ever spoken to in Walmart, along with most other jobs at that level (SNAP, Medicaid). If your parents have a mortgage, then them (the mortgage interest deduction is a much bigger giveaway than welfare). You, of course, for your low-interest loans that you'd never have qualified for on your own.

Deleted
    they pay it back n the sense of taxes, but other wise no, they are not billed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Welfare is not a loan, it is supposed to help people survive until they get a job (in theory), forcing people to pay it back will either encourage crime to pay for it or not to come off welfare at all to avoid paying it back.

wouldnt the money be better spent on scholarships for college and training so people can actually learn to do something? Why not take all the money being wasted on welfare and start up schools those people can go to so they can learn how to do something. Or use the money to create more jobs. Just throwing it away seems like a waste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by braeldiil View Post
    They're not stealing money.
    Its not their money. They didnt earn it and they arent paying it back. Its stealing.

Deleted
    wouldnt the money be better spent on scholarships for college and training so people can actually learn to do something? Why not take all the money being wasted on welfare and start up schools those people can go to so they can learn how to do something. Or use the money to create more jobs. Just throwing it away seems like a waste.
    It isn't being 'thrown away'... It's putting food on the table of people out of work for whatever reason.

As for "They didn't earn it"... Well that depends. Most people that claim welfare will have paid taxes at some stage of their working lives. Part of their taxes go to social security to offer an infrastructure to support them in times of unemployment.

10+ Year Old Account
    You only repay welfare if you committed fraud.

They repay by paying taxes when they get job.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    If they claim unemployment and then get the back pay, they have to pay the unemployment back. It's not the same situation at all. What those furloughed employees are doing is considered fraud as they claimed they didn't have income for the time off, but then come back pay time, they will be paid. That's considered a false claim, which is why they have to pay it back. I don't know where you're getting your information from that they don't have to pay it back, because they do.

For welfare, it's not a loan. It's a system designed to help those in need. The system is funded by the tax payers. It is not stealing from the government or committing any act of fraud. It's there to help the needy, and it isn't expected to be paid back. In a way though, it is paid back. Once you're on your feet, you start paying taxes, which go back into the program, essentially paying it back.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not their money. They didnt earn it and they arent paying it back. Its stealing.
    Education is not the only limiting factor in employment in the US currently. Or I suppose you think everyone on welfare right now is just an uneducated bum?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone can or should go to university, if everyone had a university degree things would go to shit.

Not everyone can or should go to university, if everyone had a university degree things would go to shit.
    Nevermind that most universities in the US cost an absolute fortune for no reason and are inefficient as fuck at spending the money they do receive.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, as soon as they land that $95,000/year job they should pay back that money they stole from the taxpayers!

Oh wait....

They're probably going to land a $16,000/year job.

MAKE THEM PAY IT ALL BACK ANYWAY AND WATCH THEM SQUIRM. MUHUHUHUHAHAHAHAHA.

Deleted
    Wouldn't be that bad or even much difference. There will still be plenty of liberal arts graduates to flip burgers