Battlemage type class?

Is there a class that acts like a Battle Mage?

Quote Originally Posted by lLeggy View Post
    yay. another cloth tank thread.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Umm no? I was asking if there is such thing in the game right now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Unsure what you mean by "Battle Mage." Melee with spell support is pretty much wrapped up by Paladins and Death Knights, and there is no plate-wearing DPS caster class. Cloth tanking, when it's happened, tends to be a single instance type of deal and is adequately handled by Mages or Warlocks. A plate-wearing DPS caster class that could make use of existing Paladin healing plate would be interesting - but I don't think it's really necessary.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    No, currently all mages in game are ranged. There are no casters that fight in a melee capacity. There is one healing spec (Mistweaver Monks called Fistweavers) that can heal by fighting in melee, however as I do not play one I do not know how effective they are.

Edit: 'Mages' in this instance means any caster.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Unsure what you mean by "Battle Mage." Melee with spell support is pretty much wrapped up by Paladins and Death Knights, and there is no plate-wearing DPS caster class. Cloth tanking, when it's happened, tends to be a single instance type of deal and is adequately handled by Mages or Warlocks. A plate-wearing DPS caster class that could make use of existing Paladin healing plate would be interesting - but I don't think it's really necessary.
    Exact answer I wanted

Deleted
    Enhancement Shaman is pretty much the closest thing available, a melee class that dual wields weapons imbued with the strength of the elements while flinging elemental spells.

An arcane fighter would be pretty cool though.

Deleted
    Enhancement Shaman or Frost Death Knight are the closest things

Shaman, specifically enhancement. You dual wield, you use elemental blasts, you shoot lightning, you summon elemental energies while hacking the enemy to bits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scayde View Post
    No, currently all mages in game are ranged. There are no casters that fight in a melee capacity.
    Enhancement Shaman's are casters that fight in melee range, they only have 2 melee spells (stmorstrike, and lava lash... and a 3rd one called primal strike that isn't even used in max level rotation), all other spells are casted with the help of an hability called maelstorm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Enhancement Shaman's are casters that fight in melee range, they only have 2 melee spells (stmorstrike, and lava lash... and a 3rd one called primal strike that isn't even used in max level rotation), all other spells are casted with the help of an hability called maelstorm.
    Honestly, I completely spaced on Enhancement Shaman's when I wrote that post. In my mind I was thinking of something like a spell blade out of DnD and neglecting the mechanics of the game. My bad!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lLeggy View Post
    BattleMage? As in platewearing 2H meleer using magic to augment melee attacks?

Paladin or DK would be the closest in game. Skimp on the armour, you can probably work Shaman in there.

EJL

Some people here are old enough to remember the first days of the great moonkin unveiling where the mages on the official forums cried at the sight of the new battle mage that was about to take their jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playable class? No

NPCs: Yes, there some of them inside Black Temple.