Can't Decide Between Ret or Prot

I'm really in a bind cause I'd like to get the heroic version of Garrosh down before the expansion is over. I've got a fresh 90 Paladin and I think it's possible because they will inevitably nerf the raid like they do for all last-patch raids.

But the problem is I don't really know what spec to play as. I really am intrigued by Prot because I've never played a Tank before, and I'm interested in the fun, new gameplay that it could provide. Going with Retribution would probably be the safer bet, but I'm not sure if I'd have the same amount of fun as I potentially could with Protection.

With Prot, I'd have instant queues, I'd be more in demand, but my performance would be under a microscope, especially for Flex where everyone (as I've seen) requires you to have full knowledge of the fight, and my first try on any boss, there's a good chance I screw up like anyone else. If I do go prot, anyone have any advice to make the transition as smooth as possible?

I know there isn't an objective answer to this, which is why I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by MistsofBoredom View Post
    I'm really in a bind cause I'd like to get the heroic version of Garrosh down before the expansion is over. I've got a fresh 90 Paladin and I think it's possible because they will inevitably nerf the raid like they do for all last-patch raids.

But the problem is I don't really know what spec to play as. I really am intrigued by Prot because I've never played a Tank before, and I'm interested in the fun, new gameplay that it could provide. Going with Retribution would probably be the safer bet, but I'm not sure if I'd have the same amount of fun as I potentially could with Protection.

With Prot, I'd have instant queues, I'd be more in demand, but my performance would be under a microscope, especially for Flex where everyone (as I've seen) requires you to have full knowledge of the fight, and my first try on any boss, there's a good chance I screw up like anyone else. If I do go prot, anyone have any advice to make the transition as smooth as possible?
    You are seriously wanting to kill heroic Garrosh and talking about queues? Get over the "LFR" and "Flex" mindset first, those are so inconsequential. And while its possible to kill H Garrosh before the expansion is over as a tank despite not having tanked before, you need to get out of your current mindset, and fast at that.

Play what you want.

Firstly I'm doubtful with this mindset you will Kill H Garrosh let alone Blackfuse. It's not like what you are deciding between is remotely similar.

If FLEX is daunting to you! Friend, you need to learn to crawl before you decide you wanna climb a mountain.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-10-17 at 07:48 PM.

Well I'm going off the mindset that he will be nerfed. That's what happens to the last raid in the expansion, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about heroic raiding.

And you think a guild - or fuck, even a pug - will take you (even with him nerfed) why...?

Well I'm going off the mindset that he will be nerfed. That's what happens to the last raid in the expansion, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about heroic raiding.
    So how many Heroic Lich king 25 runs did you sell/ farm in wrath? How many Heroic rag sale farms did you do?

Exactly.

Trust me, Blackfuse and Garrosh will not be "friendly" to the unskilled "New" Because you are infact new and likely don't even have the legendary quest started. This isn't sugar gohappy funtime.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-10-17 at 07:54 PM.

I don't know what your problem is. I'm a fresh 90, and it's very possible to get into heroic raiding months after now. I'm talking about queues because it's an inherent advantage of tanking and because that's the current step I'm on for gearing - LFR and Flex.

My main question was that I wanted to know of any things I could prepare for that weren't obvious, that could help me transition into tanking smoothly. But hey, I guess that's too much to ask.

So how many Heroic Lich king 25 runs did you sell/ farm in wrath? How many Heroic rag sale farms did you do?

Exactly.
    Lol what does this have to do with anything? Are you trolling?

You will be nothing but a hinderance to any serious heroic progression guild with no legendaries when most accomplished raiders have them and are pushing 570 ilvls now. That is just facts. Hell without a tank cloak you outright just die on some fights <Blackfuse H>

- - - Updated - - -

Lol what does this have to do with anything? Are you trolling?
    they were highly nerfed last bosses. Did you farm them?

You seem to think you can farm Garrosh.

I wouldn't hold out for a stacking debuff / buff btw, Those were hardcoded into DS/ICC patches. There is nothing planned this tier in the files. I hope you have a wonderful time next expac.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-10-17 at 08:03 PM.

First of all you need to check wowprogress to make sure there is even a guild on your server that gets all current tier hc bosses down, chances are there isn't even one.

Generally most decent raiding guilds have steady tanks and are not looking to replace them, especially not with people that are new to tanking. Your best bet would be trying to get into a good guild as ret and work your way up from there.

You can always play the AH and buy a run of course, especially towards the end of the expansion it's not hard or expensive to find a team to boost you through.

OK well first of all for a guild generally they expect you to be enthusiastic about your role. You're not displaying that here. They also expect you to be enthusiastic about killing heroic bosses. You don't seem to give a shit until its nerfed to baby-mode which shows that your play level is at a baby-mode. Not good.

For a PUG 1) they expect you to be good. Seeing as you are talking LFR and Flex and only care for nerfed raids it seems you are not so that is out. 2) They expect you to have the achieve already since you are not joining a guild via above attitude that is not happening. 3) They expect you to be geared and sorry but 528 gear and no legendary isn't gonna cut it.

You will need a serious mindset change before you can even think about killing Normal let alone Heroic Garrosh.

That's true. But I never insinuated joining a heroic raiding guild before getting my legendary. As far as I've seen, people who diligently do the Wrathion chain can expect to get the cloak within 2-3 months time frame. It's apparent to me now that I worded my post very badly, because this wasn't the intention I had with the discussion. Truth is, I don't know how to word it correctly, but my main problem mostly stemmed from Flex and how to get a foothold into that before I joined a normal raiding guild. Was it a requirement of tanks to have firsthand experience of the fights before people wanted to invite them? Or was it enough to just be geared? Perhaps it varies server to server. I don't know.

My experience with nerfed content comes from Dragon Soul. 30% nerf to Heroic Deathwing had even some pugs attempting him very late into the expansion. I don't anticipate the next expansion landing until May at the earliest, so there's plenty of time to get into that kind of thing. But I don't really need advice in that department.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hello! Perhaps you have gotten your answer, but you're going to have to make this choice for yourself or use the abundant resources available to you. These kind of threads are not allowed, closing.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature