Thread: Thok 10N Help

Thok 10N Help

My team made it to Thok again this week and we spent a good hour and a half smashing our heads on him.

We used the strategy of just stacking to his side during P1 and then leaving ranged on him during P2 with tanks and melee killing the jailer. We went Blue, Green, Red for the cage order and kited him down the hall and then back to his cage, alternating.

We got to the last P1 (after opening fire cage) a couple times but were generally at least 2 or 3 people down by then.

Can anyone give me some insight on what may be the issue here?

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=71529

Comp:
    Prot Warrior
    Guardian Druid
    Spriest
    Mage
    Frost DK
    Hunter
    Rogue
    Disc Priest
    Holy Priest (switched to Resto Shammy for a few pulls)
    MW Monk

Deleted
    Jailer kills your dps / healers a few times. Your tank is failing on picking him up.

People are just randomly dying to Shock Blast. Make sure you are stacked and aoe heal so everyones hp is evenly spread.

In the last phase everyone seems to just stand in the fire until they die.

People seem to die to the Tail swipe as well, don't stand behind the boss.

HPS also seems very low. Might want to coordinate your healing cds a bit better.

I might be reading this wrong but I didn't even see barrier go down at all from either of the priests.

But as the poster above me said, first place is to cut out stupid deaths from jailer etc.

Your healers are underperforming, they only need to heal a little bit better and the encounter will become much easier for your group.

If that is not possible then one alteration you could try is to do Green first then Blue. At the moment your 3 minute cooldowns come up towards the end of your second phase 1, so if you pop them then you don't get much effective time on the boss. There is less damage in blue phase than green - so the chance of you getting a little more dps time during cooldowns is increased (because healers spend less time dispelling and more time healing). NOTE: this will no longer be the case if healing can improev a little bit to prolong your first phase 1. If you can make your first phase 1 ~20-30 seconds longer then you'll find your dps on the boss shuold be a little higher due to having CDs at the start of second phase 1.

In order to achieve this i'd consider getting your guardian druid to pop heart of the wild and blanket rejuvs.
    Last edited by PalawinFC; 2013-10-16 at 01:13 AM.

Are you using your raid wide cd's at all? Not only should your healers be using theirs, but everyone else should be cycling their raid cd's as well to keep Thok from transitioning too quickly into phase two. Also, in phase two you need to be careful of running too far away from the reach of the healers - you're not going to get heals if nobody is close enough to heal you. You should have a loose spread for fire as well, and not get too close to either the head or the tail of thok in phase one. This means the tanks will have to be quick and accurate in when they taunt the boss, and minimize thok's movements for tank swaps.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    depending on the skill/gear level of your holy priest id say you're better off going Disc/Sham/MW as you are a little low in the healing department, also just avoid unnecessary deaths and you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by trident00 View Post
    We went Blue, Green, Red

We got to the last P1 (after opening fire cage) a couple times but were generally at least 2 or 3 people down by then.
    Our raid group found it harder with Blue/Green/Red. As some people would still have the debuff from Green going into Red. If the poison debuff would tick as someone got hit with fire, they were pretty much Insta-dead.

I haven't looked at logs yet, just getting into work. I'll go over them little by little thru the day. I'll mainly look at your hunter, but I'll try to check everyone/thing else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I might be reading this wrong but I didn't even see barrier go down at all from either of the priests.

But as the poster above me said, first place is to cut out stupid deaths from jailer etc.
    WoL doesn't like to show Barrier. What to take from this? DiscPriest HPS isn't accurate and is way higher than most people think.. So people shouldn't be yelling at their Disc Priest that much

Here is a link to our Thok kill, where we DID use Barrier(i know for sure because its in our vid, lol). But WoL doesn't show it.

No one should die to Thok stepping on them unless you're not switching to P1 fast enough.

Hunters, rogues, and druids can dispel the Jailer's enrage and reduce the damage the tank takes from him by a lot.

It's easy to 1tank 3heal this fight if you just make sure you have 9+ speed stacks on Thok before you switch him back to P1. Your melee will hate it, but it helps.

If your tank constantly derps on picking up the jailer, have a rogue with symbiosis growl evasion tank him for a sec.

Your healers' HPS isn't really that low for 3healing - here's last night's kill for my guild and I barely broke 100k HPS (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...s=9730&e=10094) as a rdruid.

I haven't dived deep into the logs since I'm no expert at that. At a glance I don't see any glaring problems like a healer doing 60k HPS (which my 510 holy priest can pull off in flex).

You guys could control your poison damage in green phase better. You have two priests and a monk, all of whom can remove all the buffs at once (and sometimes 3 priests). Make sure people running from the boss are getting dispelled before they run away (and preferably some hots or a shield). Make sure the rest of your raid is stacked up during phase 2.

People dying during phase 1 is purely the fault of the healers. As long as the dps are together it's impossible for them to fuck up and die. If they die, it means they didn't get enough heals and that really shouldn't happen.

Also, people are dying to Chomp. We opened the cages at 9 stacks. That should be adequate. No one should be getting killed before that. People without move speed should plan ahead and be farther away from the boss.

I took one of your longer attempts (11 - 6:48).

1st P1 - 13 Stacks
    1st Chase - 9 Stacks

2nd P1 - 8 Stacks
    2nd Chase - 10 Stacks

3rd P1 - 12 Stacks
    3rd Chase - 13 Stacks

In 3rd Chase
    - 1st Death (Hunter dies due to Poison DoT(1 stack) + ShockBlast Combo, while NOT being chased.) = Healer Fault / Hunter running away.
    - 2nd Death (Priest dies by being Eaten) Fault = walking into his mouth.
    - 3rd Death ( Hunter dies after taking rez due to Poison DoT(1 stack) + ShockBlast Combo, while NOT being chased.) = Healers Fault not topping off Hunter / Hunter running to far
    - 4th Death (Mage dies by being Eaten) Fault = walking into his mouth.

4th P1 - 5 Stacks
    - 5th Death (Priest dies by rocketbelt failing) Fault = bad luck with Rocketbelt
    - 6th Death (Shaman dies by Fire Dot(1Stack) + Shock Blast) Fault = Healers
    - 7th Death (Shaman dies after ank by fire) Fault = Bad timing
    - 8th Death (Rogue dies from 1st Roar (had 270k HP barely 50%HP when going in) Fault = Healer
    - 9th Death (DK dies from 3rd Roar (had 250k HP) Fault = Healer
    - 1oth Death (Warrior Tank died by Roar)
    - 11th Death (Monk died by Shock Blast)
    - 12th Death (Druid Tank died by Roar)

**People dying to Chomp shouldn't be happening. The 3rd Chase phase went to long which was reason for 2 deaths. In the last P1 people still had Poison Dot which was the main issue I believe. Trying to keep them a high HP to survive the Roar put a lot of strain on the healers.**

Like in my previous post, Try going Green/Blue/Red, as blue won't be adding anymore damage during the Fire phase(unless someone is unlucky enough to get turned into a Ice Tomb.)

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take a look at some of the suggestions and comments here when we get to him Monday.

For the kite phases, we had markers just out from the cages that we open (green, blue, red in that order) and everyone except the fixate target groups up near the marker to make healing/dispelling easy. If the boss runs too far away for ranged to dps him, just swap to the jailer until he runs back in range.