Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think they won't try to make more subs than the other, I think they will try to get some subs, and will rely on the "Blizzard hype" that always ensue the release of their games. Maybe like Hearthstone, they will try to bring in people that never thought of trying a MOBA (like me )

Imo it will be thrown to the wolves, and only hardcore Blizzard fans with give a flying fuck about it. The whole dota-like genre is overflowing right now with what seems like a new game coming out every single month.

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    its not the matter if there are good products in that market.the matter is that there are no big companies on this market .Activision Blizzard is simply more powerful than Riot Games or Velve so they can offer better conditions of partnership for sponsors, higher prizepool on tournaments, more ads, etc. etc.

and btw. MOBA have roots in Blizzard games(dota was wc3 mod) :P
    First of all, nobody gives Blizz any credit for Dota in any way. Second of all... Riot is backed by a chinese company bigger than Blizzard Activision will ever be (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_Holdings), and.... lol at saying Blizzard is more powerful than Valve, you know the guys dominating PC-gaming right now. Heck many games will be a commercial failure if they don't get on steam.
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2013-10-18 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the right characters that everyone love and/or hate playable, nice balance etc. It could become very popular.

I mean just look at hearthstone, a massive success already. And it's still in beta.

Around the spot where HoN is right now

It will be popular for 1 month.

Then be in a worse spot than Hon. Blizzard is absolutely terrible with real time pvp games. Only the most frothing at the mouth blizzard fans would even bother to play it after that and/or defend it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think it will be a success in that a bunch of people who are big blizzard fans will try it out and im sure when it finally releases there will be an initial surge of LoL and Dota players who give it a whirl.

that being said, LoL and Dota are well established mobas and offer quite a bit of prize money in their tournaments. HoTS will have to have a huge esport design/influence in it if it wants to be a serious competitor to the aforementioned titles. theyre also going to have to offer a butt load of money for the winners of their tournaments in order to persuade any pros from leaving their respective games. i dont know a bunch about Dota tourneys and how much they pay out but LoL pays out quite a bit for their various tournaments and season/split winners.

in the end like i said in a another thread, i predict it will do decently well but i dont expect it to dethrone LoL or Dota in terms of popularity.

Deleted
    I think they can pull it off. It's Blizzard after all.

I'll play it. It'll be really fun, I think, to mess around with lore characters and such.

However, I don't know if it's going to be the kind of run-away success World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft have been. There's a lot of strong competition in the market this time around, and I'm not sure if they're going to be able to get enough pro MOBA players interested to create a healthy competitive scene. I'd expect that most pro MOBA players are already invested in DOTA2 or League of Legends, and outside of Starcraft, Blizzard hasn't had the best record in terms of creating a flourishing e-sport environment. They also have to combat the social media juggernauts that the other MOBAs have as teams and pro players.

That said, I'm certain that it will be successful enough to be profitable, there's going to be plenty of crossover from D3, WoW, and SC2 audiences.

Dota nostalgia

Will cause people to buy and try, and if they don't fuck it up, it could have a big population.

LoL comes first for me, then if Heros of the Storm is good I'll put that second, then I'll continue to not play Dota 2.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    Dota nostalgia

Will cause people to buy and try, and if they don't fuck it up, it could have a big population.

LoL comes first for me, then if Heros of the Storm is good I'll put that second, then I'll continue to not play Dota 2.
    If people wanted dota nostalgia they would play Dota 2, or the original dota.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not very. I mean Starcraft II is something they've done before (RTS) is one of their core franchises and is being remarkably poorly managed E-sports-wise. If they can run an established IP, with a huge fan base into the ground what chance do they have with an upstart in a super competitive genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    If people wanted dota nostalgia they would play Dota 2, or the original dota.
    Dota, being the wc3 mod had the character models from WC3 Heros and units. I'm sure Heroes will have similar models, so like I said, Nostalgia
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

10+ Year Old Account
    It will do fine. I imagine a lot of people will play Heroes of the Storm and LOL. It's not like there's a law that you can't play more than one DOTA game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it will unseat LoL as THE moba game, I think if any game does that it will be Dota 2. Valve was late out of the gate with Dota 2 and what they've done with it already is impressive. However now that mobas are super popular the big devs will get in on it, and there will be some serious market fragmentation. I doubt any one game will kill LoL, but I think if enough companies make enough decent ones, they'll all contribute to killing off LoL. Blizzard will contribute to that, the game will sell like hotcakes based on the Blizzard name alone, and the absolute worst case scenario for Blizzard is that they'll break even.

I don't enjoy moba games, but I'm hoping that even though it's a game I can't appreciate, it does well.

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    Not very. I mean Starcraft II is something they've done before (RTS) is one of their core franchises and is being remarkably poorly managed E-sports-wise. If they can run an established IP, with a huge fan base into the ground what chance do they have with an upstart in a super competitive genre?
    It's not THAT bad, you just have to completely ignore Team Liquid because that community is filled with self loathing and envy. I've never seen a group of people so determined to hate everything about the thing that they're supposed to enjoy. Blizzard dropped the ball at the start, but they're doing okay now with supporting the eSports scene. Not quite at the level that Riot/Valve are, but they're slowly improving. I think their biggest issue was that StarCraft 2 could never possibly hope to live up to the hype/reputation of Brood War or the success that it enjoyed in Korea. I imagine whatever Riot does after League is going to experience the same thing, it's very unlikely that it will live up to the expectations of people who loved and enjoyed League.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2013-10-18 at 05:19 PM.

Considering how blizzard don't give shit about pvp (All resources were focused on campaigns(pve) in SC2 / D3 didn't even have pvp in launch / WOW pvp... do I have to explain? / Plus blizz does next to nothing about hack users, bug exploiters, wintraders etc), I don't think they will do well in such purely pvp game.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow people sure do have hopes here well I too hope for it to be amazing and crush lol but I'm afraid that blizzard might "mess up" which I hope they wont.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    SC is a big name RTS, WoW was build on another big franchise and was a revolution of sorts for MMOs, Diablo is also "the" ARPG. Hearthstone is build on Warcraft too, and there's no other quick, online and free CCG around. But unless Heroes of the Storm has some ace or trick up it's sleeve, it's coming to a market where LoL, and DOTA 2 somewhat is already the big names. There's some big and current in that market already, where Blizzard other things were the classic of those games.
    That's true, but remenber that the first MOBA was DOTA from warcraft 3 so... many players of DOTA will be happy to be able to play once again with the characters they once knew, in other words all Warcraft characters, so they have that in their side

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Wow people sure do have hopes here well I too hope for it to be amazing and crush lol but I'm afraid that blizzard might "mess up" which I hope they wont.
    I want them to crush LOL but i know they won't, they can have a great succes but not like LOL

Had this been released years ago, before LoL got popular? Everyone would be playing the game. Now? I'm a little hesitant. I assume it'll be f2p, so I'm definitely going to give it the old college try, but I'm coming into it knowing that there are other really good mobas out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Hearthstone is kind of blowing MTG out of the water right now, so Heroes could do the same I suppose. They just need that perfect Blizzard functionality + a game that's casual enough to be noob friendly + that also high end enough to be E-Sport worthy

It won't even make a dent in LoL, that's one thing that's certain.

However, I can see it being moderately popular like Hearthstone.