Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Galakras (10) Normal - 2 heal or 3 heal?

Yo, so I recently I put together a 10 man raiding team in a guild that became very inactive and we had our first semi-guild run last night. I'm new to raid leading so all this is new to me, but it seemed our dps struggled to down the waves before the next wave appeared, and obviously when it came to our tower group (1 tank 1 healer 2 dps) the ground team dealing with the waves/snake became overwhelmed.

As such i was wondering whether it's best to chuck in an extra cleave dps instead of a healer (we had no ele shaman which is a huge loss i imagine) or is the raid wide damage too much to ask of from the healers? Bearing in mind most of our raid are around 540-545 item level.

But then I'm also unsure because the dps weren't killing banners/shamans asap. DPS was around 150-200k region which seems a bit low for such an aoe clusterfuck? We had 2 Dks, one mage, one warlock and a hunter as dps. With the warlock and death knight in the tower group.

Are the dps numbers too low? We're not gifted with a large roster so dps choices are limited unless we take randoms but i prefer to stay as a group.

Any feedback on the fight in general would be lovely, we usually wipe when the second demo/tower opens and there's the siege/mini boss + a wave of adds still up...

Another thing is - Our offtank (a warrior) has about 530 item level and I leave him to tank the ground whilst I'm a 545 Brewmaster. Would it be better to try and swap and let him go towers - especially if we try 2 healing? My gear is half burden gear so stats are not optimized(even with reforging!) and trash can deal a shit-tonne of damage if i mismanage my energy and shuffle drops off.
    Last edited by jijuiji; 2013-10-18 at 11:51 AM.

I would recommend 2-healing as it helps down the waves faster. Just make sure you have people on the ball when you capture a tower to shoot the drakes down; that "Drakefire" hits for like 250k a shot, so half health of most average geared players.

Disclaimer: My guild hasn't killed him yet.

First tries we have gone as 3 healers, but mostly because we have pretty good dpsers and on any progress fight we switch to 3 heals to play it safe (enrage timers aren't tight at all).

Anyway, now we try to go 2 healers for any fight we know enough - the additional dps makes the fights a lot shorter. Specifically for Galrakas, waves die a lot faster, to the point we have downtime between waves.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Thanks for the quick reply, Good luck yourselves on it ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Can I just ask Coldkill what HPS your healers are doing? We will most likely run with a rshaman/rdruid

3 Heal for last phase and 2 heal for p1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moofarah View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, Good luck yourselves on it ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Can I just ask Coldkill what HPS your healers are doing? We will most likely run with a rshaman/rdruid

we do this as 2ppl (not downed it yet ofr an array of reasons) but even running my offspec 520 ilvl resto gear im holding 130k+ on the floor with a pala in the towers

Awesome, I think the shaman and druid we had were both managing 150/160k HPS so I'm guessing we can afford to lose a healer in favour of bursting down the waves/towers quicker

Deleted
    If you struggle on dps 2 healing is a good way to go. We 3 healed it on our kill but now we 2 heal it. Just make sure the healer going up the tower jumps down just before mini boss goes down to help downstairs. Also people down dont feel scared to pop some defensive cd, especially the tank depending on how hes geared. And let your range move around to avoid getting hit by to many fire arrows.

On phase 2 have a good raid cd rotation and it should be a kill if all other tactics are performed well.

I normally let the other 2 healers 2 heal that fight since i dont need gear there. But i think they do between 130k at the last phase.

15+ Year Old Account
    It largely depends on the p2 tactic that you use. If you split into 2 groups then 2 healing it becomes a lot easier, but if you do the stacking up tactic then 3 healers is almost a must for a first few kills. Healing and DPS is not much of an issue until p2 anyway, here is a log to show you an example where we did split into 2 groups tactic: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...?s=4571&e=5144
    and here is one where we accidently did the stack up tactic due to miscommunication with 2 healers: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=4301&e=4884

HPS is not everything - More HPS simply means player take more damage then needed
    We 3 healed it at the very first day and since then we going with 2 pushing each 110k each at the end of the fight.

That might help you :
    -Maybe focus more on interrupting Chain Heal/kill Healing Tide Totems <- Very Important if u are struggling with killing the adds in time.
    -move all the enemies in the Blizzard of Jaina since they take damage from that aswell
    -If u go 2 heal. You should focus the Snake that comes in the wave before the first Demolisher. Cause thats some heavy aoe dmg if she stay alive longer then needed.

p.s: Stack 5 Elemental Shamans

On progress I'd say 3 heal until you really get comfortable with what's going on.
    On our first kill we had +-150k with some people around 120k I think.. And we still managed it.
    The real killers are totems/flags that NEED to die ASAP. If your raid doesn't kill them fast enough - tell them to f-ing do so.. Then work on priority on adds - we go shamans>bonecrushers>demos>everything else.. Get your top 2 DPSers + tank + healer to do the towers (you really shouldn't need more) and in last phase make SURE that NPCs actually engage and help you.
    We had 5% wipe when they didn't engage >.>'
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Nice. The stacking up tactic sounds interesting. Leave tank + 2 healers on floor whilst everyone else bursts the shit out of the tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Holycurves View Post
    p.s: Stack 5 Elemental Shamans
    I thought that's the tactics for spoils..
    aa no, it's 6 ele shamans for spoils.. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Nice. The stacking up tactic sounds interesting. Leave tank + 2 healers on floor whilst everyone else bursts the shit out of the tower?
    Dont think that will solve your problem - since 2 healer + 1 tank wont be able to kill the adds in time without gettin overwhelmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    We 2 healed it from the start. If your people fail on soaking the fireball in the end, it'll kill your raid. But other then that, if the banners, adds die fast enough and you let the NPCs help you, 2 healers will be more then enough.

For the last part we split up to 2 groups, have each group take 2-3 stacks and rinse repeat until boss is dead. Boss itself is shot down as soon as the last drakes/shaman is dead and it is tanked on top of the NPCs as those deal crapton of damage to everything as well if they are alive.

Me and my co-tank are roughly equally geared (give or take 7 ilvls to his advantage), but I am staying down, as being a guardian I can do loads of damage by just swimming in vengeance and cleaving the mobs down. While our pala runs the towers.

For the first towers all people go up, not much to do down there anyhow, as the drakes will be finished off by the NPCs. For the second tower 1 group w/ 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 DPS goes up (rest stay down). I am leaving our ele. shaman down to deal with the adds.
    The adds are not a big issue as long as you kill the banners fast and tank them on the fire batch made by NPC.

One other thing for the bonecrushers, forget about taunting them when they are doing their shitty attack. Taunt doesn't seem to work. Just hardstun or knock them back when they are casting.

you can do like a 2 and a half healer strat. on heroic, our druid healer goes boomkin and dps's the whole fight while our shaman and monk heal, then like halfway~ or so through the last phase he pops Heart of the Wild and helps heal a bit when it is really needed.

I don't have logs unfortunately - the guy that did them stoped some time ago and then no one took them. Anyway we run with the same setup (rdruid / rshaman). I must say they're pretty good players, especially the shaman.

EDIT: their armory just to have a reference DRUID - SHAMAN
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2013-10-18 at 12:47 PM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Make sure people are focusing down the correct targets while cleaving. It helps to have the quickmark addon so you can have someone mark the main focus target if people tend to lose focus.

You should have the dps to handle the add waves if you were able to handle Norushen and Sha as long as people focus down adds while cleaving.

Two healing the galakras phase can be hectic if two healing. If you have them available I'd say go with a fist weaving monk or an Atonement Disc priest to help bump up overall dps while having the extra healing/cd for the burn phase.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Another thing is - Our offtank (a warrior) has about 530 item level and I leave him to tank the ground whilst I'm a 545 Brewmaster. Would it be better to try and swap and let him go towers - especially if we try 2 healing? My gear is half burden gear so stats are not optimized(even with reforging!) and trash can deal a shit-tonne of damage if i mismanage my energy and shuffle drops off.
    i would say swap warri on top and you do the fight on the ground. Monks do ALOT of damage on that fight (prenerf our monk ended up on 240+k dps - dont know how it is after the nerf.

Deleted
    We do the line tactics when 2 heal, alot easier then stacking. When someone gets fireball they move end of group, far enough to drop the ball. When people get to high stacks they move out and drop them and move back in.