Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I always remember hard raids as my favourite raids. Thats why i loved vanilla as well as ulduar because it was so damn hard that when you finally got something down it was the best feeling ever. Dont get me wrong, i hated everything that came with old raids (mat gathering, gold making, chops!!) and then ulduar came along being all rock hard but without having to farm for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    Nostalgia, wrath babies...oh and, Cataclysm sucked ass by comparison.
    People who use the terms like 'wrath babies' are normally morons, basically the kind of people one would refer to as poison of a game's society or in the larger way, scum of earth.

OT: It had storylines in each zone that lead you to Ulduar, amazing immersion, artwork. The best heroic mechanics ever and once it was tuned, the difficulty curve also aligned perfectly. It introduced difficulty levels, heroic only bosses. Even the sub-bosses had quests and storylines. It was in a league of it's own and nothing has (and going by how wow is not) and nothing will ever come close to ulduar.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    Tier 11 (BwD) Also 3 different raids to choose from, Tier 14 (3 different raids to choose from). T12 (first 4 or 5 bosses to choose from in any order you wish). And T13 and T16 to an extremely small extent.
    Let me repeat the question, slightly rephrased: How many bosses in each raid were skippable?
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    So kinda like almost every other tier since wrath? Also 99% of players don't ever clear an instance the 2nd week it is out.
    No tier since wrath even comes close to ulduar. Ulduar set the bar too high, since then it's just been poorly constructed villains, missing storylines,lame mechanics and no sense of achievement.

Ulduar was the only raid tier in Wrath that didn't see an activity bump when it was released.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Ulduar was simply put a really well made raid in so many ways. Hard mode activation was a fun thing to have and the fact that on some bosses you could do the fight in three to five different ways (difficulties) which changed the difficulty a bit or made the fight a real challenge

Personally it was also a time when our guild was a 25man guild that wasn't the best in the world so we progressed through Ulduar on a slower pace but still managed to get a new kill almost every week which felt rewarding enough. The only annoying thing was that ToC was released too soon for us as we just had started working on Yoggy. That resulted in ppl wanting to do ToC 'cause it rewarded better quality loot from much simpler fights than Yoggy so I think we had almost cleared ToC before fully clearing Ulduar. (If i recall correctly, ToC bosses became available one every week?) But none the less, got Yoggy down eventually

What are the really good memories of Ulduar are our 10man late night friday hard mode beer runs! As 10man was on a different lockout, we had an offday awesomeness every week and progressed through 10hards and had the best laughs while doing it. But at least managed to get a Firefighter10 done after the whole raid been drunk for 2 days in a row but still progressing on most pulls And eventually achieved Herald of the Titans. Nostalgia? Maybe, but it was good times and haven't done a raid since with such an impact on me.

Anyways, a huge and a really well made raid zone with lots to do (a shit ton of achies from one raid ) and then ToC ruined it all by appearing too soon and not being as awesome as Ulduar

15+ Year Old Account
    A few people touched on this already, but basically it was huge and long, and Trial of the Crusader came out before most people had time to get sick of Ulduar. If Blizzard stays on track, it's likely that people will be repeating raid tiers a lot less. I think they want a patch every 2 months or something? Should be good.

The reason I loved and still love Ulduar so much is because of the creativity Blizzard showed in making the hardmodes. It was a more fun way than simply pressing a button (unless it was Mimiron's button. That one was awesome) and switching everything over to hardmodes. Not every hardmode followed the same mechanic design either. Sure XT did (more health, more damage, a few new stuff) but some fights were harder just because the mechanics got crazy!. Yogg 0 wasnt harder because Blizzard pumped up all the damage and health but because you now had to perform at a nearly flawless level in order to achieve victory. No more clearing MC stacks, no more adds dying. It was total chaos. Mimiron was awesome as well. Nothing really changed... except EVERYTHING with one simply mechanic: Fire that follows after the nearest player. That mechanic was more of a game changer than Heroic LK's shadow traps. The only fight since then that attempted this idea was the first boss of ToES but that... was extremely lackluster to me. I really didn't feel like I was activating "elite mode" (and you can argue that they did the same thing in Ulduar with the Iron Council but their mechanics changed quite a bit depending on the order. ToES #1 didn't really become different until the last guy) until really the last boss at which point the fight became boring anyway. Some bosses didn't even have a hardmode and since there was no dungeon journal it was more difficult to figure out exactly how to activate each mode and what the differences would be.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    No tier since wrath even comes close to ulduar. Ulduar set the bar too high, since then it's just been poorly constructed villains, missing storylines,lame mechanics and no sense of achievement.
    Disagree imo, only thing uld had that was memorial to me was yogg and maybe mim. Of Course I did the raid then and enjoyed it because it was new, as I do with every new raid. I can't honestly say which tier I enjoyed most, I like to judge individual bosses rather than entire instances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    Let me repeat the question, slightly rephrased: How many bosses in each raid were skippable?
    Completely silly question since every raid has a different number of bosses. Not sure I'm getting the purpose of your question.
    Last edited by Orcindauh; 2013-10-18 at 08:54 PM.

I think it was a good step up in difficulty from Naxx, so it was fondly remembered for that. I also liked how you switched to hard mode through mechanics in the raid, not a flip of a switch. It was long, but not too long. It wasn't my favorite and I know for a fact that my favorites are just that from nostalgia (70ZA, BT, SSC), so I can't really objectively review them.

It wasn't a bad raid though if you compare it to the tournament (that no one liked at the time, or since) or ICC (which was around for a year, got old fast).

I also liked how you switched to hard mode through mechanics in the raid, not a flip of a switch.
    I think this cuts both ways, though. How irritating was it to be pushing Hodir's hard mode timer, than have to wipe it because you missed by a few seconds and don't want to mess around with a normal kill? I like the dynamic toggling of hard modes, but I think one developer summarized it as "If we continue, every hard mode toggle would be something along the same lines... don't kill mini-bosses, push a button, or DPS faster to turn it on." (paraphrased and vaguely recollected)

I remember Eeyonix's quote well. Basically the mic drop post of Wrath.

I will always remember 0-lights as the hardest beatable boss in the game.

For me, it was the last raid before the real segregation of the playerbase started. ToC started actual "heroic modes" where there was a clear delineation between versions. In Ulduar, even though you were doing the bosses is their easiest mode, people felt like they were doing the same raid as the ones doing the bosses in their hardest modes. So everyone was really doing the same raid. That has not happened since...

Also, there was a real contrast from the tiers before and after it. Naxx 2.0 was arguably the easiest raid in WoW. ToC was arguably the worst raid in WoW. So that kind of puts Ulduar on a pedestal.

And of course, it was the first real raid that many people got to try. In TBC, not many people got past Kara. In WotLK, the first tier did not have any real raids. Naxx 2.0 was easy, and a remake. OS was cool, but only 1 real boss. EoE....only 1 boss, and lots of vehicle stuff that was still new. So Ulduar was really the first real raid that many people got to see. It's like the Kara of WotLK.

It was beautiful, the lore was nicely developed, it was free-form, the bosses were fun and challenging, the introduction of hard modes was awesome. What else do you need?

Deleted
    Lore,immersion,brilliantly made,visually awesome,huge in scale,interesting---God dammit,Ulduar is the best raid!THERES NO ARGUMENT ON THAT! :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    Nostalgia, wrath babies...oh and, Cataclysm sucked ass by comparison.
    lulz no. Started in tbc and still think it was the best, so i guess there's your theory out the door (don't let the doorknob hit your opinion on the ass on the way out)

OT:For me it was a combo of the art, the music (yah that's art too but it needs saying), lots of the fight concepts, the voice acting, it had a level of excitement that lets say...mmm DS just does not fucking have, or well, soz none of the tbc raids had, nor the other wrath raids had.
    Black temple is up there FOR ME, but cannot trump Ulduar.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

The thing I remember most and love most about Ulduar is how you didn't chance it from normal to heroic. You just did fights a different way and they became "heroic" or better known as "Hard mode." It had some very fun fights. Yogg 0 lights, and Algalon were my favorite fights!

Deleted
    Like some people above said:

- Organic hard modes
    - Difficulty of most bosses (terms of damage)
    - Aura damage (meaning healers were always on the tips of their toes)
    - Lore
    - You could choose your path in terms of progression
    - Mechanics were very original

10+ Year Old Account
    1.) Large, mostly non-linear raid with multiple optional bosses (including a "super boss" with Algalon).

2.) More dynamic forms of difficulty as opposed to LFR, Flex, Normal, Heroic. You could choose how many AND WHICH towers/elders/keepers were up for Flame Leviathan/Freya/Yogg-Saron. No loading screens or achievement lockouts if you wanted to attempt a hard mode on any week (even launch week) while still doing the normal encounter for most fights.

3.) Tuned notably higher than the vast majority of T7 (Sarth 3 comes to mind, and Patchwerk while pathetically simple was tuned harder than most of the rest of his tier). This created a feeling of challenge, goals, and eventually triumph for players that just started raiding seeing as raids became popularized in WLK due to a variety of factors. T7 was many players first raid tier, and Ulduar was a notable step up in difficulty which felt like real progression, not just in loot but as a player.

4.) Yogg-Saron is a very intricate fight. Intricate fights tend to wipe a lot of raids, but as long as the fight as either an end boss or an optional boss, players don't whine too much. Players whine most often when they're stuck on a boss for too long that is in the beginning or middle of the raid, but if the last boss is kicking your butt, most players are more inclined to welcome the challenge because they've beaten all the bosses up to this point and EXPECT the last boss to notably harder. Also, they're probably still getting a lot of loot every week if they're stuck on the last boss.

5.) Algalon created mystery and something to shoot for. This is also somewhat true of Sinestra and would have been true for Ra-Den, but Sinestra was a known character in the lore and Ra-Den's fight was generally considered a flawed or even failed experiment by many top tier raiders. Algalon however was a lore mystery that kicked people's butts up and down the street, and every guild wanted to turn the sky above Dalaran into stars to prove to the rest of the server that they had what it takes. Also, the Herald of the Titans title was extremely challenging and somewhat unique in how you acquired it.

6.) Mimiron's Head

7.) More achievements than any other raid tier. BY. FAR.

8.) With only the Throne of Thunder being able to attempt a dispute, Ulduar was shockingly big, complex, well-executed, difficult, intricate, and epic FOR A MIDDLE TIER RAID! A lot of raids in the beginning and end of an xpac are huge epicfests of awesome, but Ulduar really raised the bar on middle tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
    Like some people above said:

- Organic hard modes
    - Difficulty of most bosses (terms of damage)
    - Aura damage (meaning healers were always on the tips of their toes)
    - Lore
    - You could choose your path in terms of progression
    - Mechanics were very original
    -Some not all. Every tier really comes with at least 1 original mechanic boss fight. Also depends what you mean by original.