[Talents] Greater Invis vs Cold Snap for pvp

New to mage (still lv 87) and currently using Cold Snap for PVP for the double block. I love Fire & Frost equally so will play both specs regardless of their strengths/weaknesses.

Would Greater Invis be more useful than Cold Snap in case you want to use it offensively because of the 90% DR for 3secs after invis?

It depends on what comp you play with i guess, and what you play against. It's situational business!

Greater invis is great for escaping a burst that would kill u, also allowing u to hide away and evocate/eat. Cold snap is better in combat, giving u a nice instant heal that scales with battlemaster trinket since it heals 30% of ur health... Cold snap also w/ double iceblocks and reseting cd's of Frost nova and Cone of cold.

I see GI more like a BG talent - it allows you to escape, to drop combat and mount up, to ninja cap easier/more frequently and it's great for defending as you can use Ice Block and GI in short succession. For added pressure 3 seconds of damage reduction aren't that great as you're still susceptible to CC and interrupts.

In arenas Cold Snap is better due to its versatility - it provides you with a healing CD and second invulnerability, which can be used to either negate burst or as an additional trinket. Plus it removes all dots and debuffs (except stupid Cyclone).

Thanks for the info. I will try that out. GI in BG and CS in arena.

PS. How do i get the heal from CS? Is it built in?

Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    PS. How do i get the heal from CS? Is it built in?
    You need to use Cold Snap obviously. It will drop Ice Block, Cone of Cold and Frost Nova cooldowns and heal you. You can use it while sitting in Ice Block and the healing effect can crit for double amount.

I can use cold snap while IN iceblock? Nice

Deleted
    for me its a no brainer, cold snap wins every time. and you can use it while iceblocked

10+ Year Old Account
    You need cold snap against classes which can dish out several high burst phases in a short amount of time. You can use GI against more stable damage, but cold snap is a far more common choice.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as there are literally a 10+ DoTs in the game with each class having multiple of them, and GI only removing 3 DoTs, it usually breaks immediately anyways. Not even to mention AoE. Just like Spectral Guise, people would simply AoE ASAP and break GI.