Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I 100% would prefer to play alliance.

However, at the end of Cata (literally two hours before the midnight launch of MOP) my GM/RL announced he would not be raid leading (or playing, really) in MOP and to "Enjoy the Pandas". At the time I was raiding in two guilds, one alliance where I'd played since day one of release and one on the horde side, because they had a slot open for my hunter.

So as of MOP I'm a horde player. I have no level 90 alliance alts, my former main (mage, Dragonwrath) sits at level 89. The horde guild transferred to a high pop PVE server and I went with them. I don't recall the last time I saw an alliance character there.

It's sad. I hate the horde - they look ugly, their towns are ugly, etc. On the other hand, it's good to be the favorite, it really is. I like to remind people when they talk about Thrall during the Garrosh kill, that if they want to see the alliance's analogue of Thrall, they just need to look at the loading screen when they port to Dalaran and there he is.

I really do hate what they've done to the alliance by the way: Varian looks dumb and I've never related to him, Jaina is a terrible character who somehow gets a pass for allowing the razing of stratholme and casting frost nova on her own king at the battle for the undercity, the gnomes are all stupid, evil, or both, the dwarves have someone leading them I must have killed over 100 times in the last 8 years (Moira).

So at the end of it, that's why I don't play alliance - I don't have a raid spot in an alliance guild. Meanwhile, Blizzard has made sure that while I prefer the alliance, I dislike all the leaders of every faction equally, so I've sort of given up caring. The alliance towns and quests are still better though.

Deleted
    I started Horde because it was more badass faction for me but then I realised that Horde fits better together(even with Elves) and it would be rly hard to identify with Alliance races :P.
    Horde have also more interesting characters than alliance
    FOR THE HORDE!
    Last edited by mmoc9f96497ef5; 2013-10-18 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I'm Horde because most other games offered the same set of races: Human, Halfling, Dwarf, Elf. So I picked the other side. I didn't realize the Horde was essentially the "good guys" and basically the minority races. I did start as Alliance due to friends, but went Horde after a hack and never looked back.

edited to add:
    I do have a worgen DK (to alliance only battle pets). I would probably be a Worgen or Draenei, if i rolled alliance. Werewolves are generally alright (kept the obvious Twilight shit), but it just seems wrong to play both sides.
    Ha - level a worgen from 1 to 15 for the starter zone experience. When you get to the part where Sylvannas shows up and confirms that yes, they're totally going to use the forbidden plague and kill everybody, pat yourself on the back for being a "good guy" again.

Here's a secret - everybody's a bad guy, really. Mostly Blizzard for writing them that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    I started Alliance because it was more badass faction for me but then I realised that Horde fits better together(even with Elves) and it would be rly hard to identify with Alliance races :P.

FOR THE HORDE!
    I think my biggest problem with the horde races per se is that I'm a big Tolkien fan and had those books read to me as a child. To me they form the bedrock for all fantasy, though I realize there's tons of stuff that predates them. And in those books, there's no question as to who the bad guys are. Even though humans can be bad guys too, orcs, goblins, the undead - all 100% unquestionable bad guys, 100% of the time. Maybe 110%. That never left me. (I play a goblin now. *shrug*)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I do right now, but it's more because I had friends ask me to tank again.

I would RATHER play Horde, and here's why:

First, let's state the obvious: The racials are just better for PVE, although they are relatively minor. However, it goes deeper. The perception is that racials are better. Therefore, more guilds wanting to play at a high level will roll Horde for what they see as an advantage even though outside of perhaps guilds like Method, Paragon and their ilk the racials are so minuscule as to be almost negligible. This has the added effect, though, of meaning there are more raiding guilds that are Horde, and therefore for raiders and wannabe hardcore raiders, Horde is the better choice not necessarily due to any tangible benefits, but due to the fact there are more opportunities for good quality guilds. That's not to say there aren't any good Alliance guilds, but there seems to be more Horde guilds, so more raiders are attracted to Horde because there's a better chance to get into a good raiding guild and more opportunities to get higher progression since more higher-end raiding guilds are Horde.
    What do you mean the perception is that Horde racials' are better? They ARE better, by a long way.

It's not relatively minor when 25 people have an tangible advantage. Wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    Ha - level a worgen from 1 to 15 for the starter zone experience. When you get to the part where Sylvannas shows up and confirms that yes, they're totally going to use the forbidden plague and kill everybody, pat yourself on the back for being a "good guy" again.
    Haha, see, whenever I, or anyone else says that we (Horde) are the good guys etc, I always take it to mean Horde minus Sylvanas/forsaken, since I think we can all agree that she's awesome but also pretty fucking crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Werewolves are generally alright (kept the obvious Twilight shit), but it just seems wrong to play both sides.
    Worgen would be my alliance pick aswell. But really, twilight has shapeshifters, no werewolfs

10+ Year Old Account
    I play alliance because "rawr scary orcs skeletons and belfs oh my" don't really do it for me.
    That, and I actually like to connect to my character.
    Hard to do that with a giant tree hugging cow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    what's putting you off allaince?

Female Tauren since EU launch, will be until I permanently quit - no other races really interested me in the slightest, least of all any alliance ones.

For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I play purely Alliance.

Why don't I play Horde?

Orcs - are hunchbacks.
    Trolls - toes and tusks
    Tauren - no neck
    Undead - slouching and exposed armor
    Belves - too dainty and scrawny
    Goblins - uglier gnomes with obnoxious ears
    curious, what alliance races do you play? and why don't you play the ones you don't?

Secondly, if humans were to be made playble on the horde, would you then roll horde? they won't be alliance humans though, something like either a bunch of undead forsaken that somehow got cured, or a group like the syndicate or ravenholdt. they won't necessarily be evil nor jerks either, they just won't be alliance affliated or related. Would you then?

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I play purely Alliance.

Why don't I play Horde?

Orcs - are hunchbacks.
    Trolls - toes and tusks
    Tauren - no neck
    Undead - slouching and exposed armor
    Belves - too dainty and scrawny
    Goblins - uglier gnomes with obnoxious ears
    I fully agree with this. Blood elves also have this awkward posture where they look like they are leaning back.

15+ Year Old Account
    interesting, you see, i also feel that race lore plays a large role in what faction and race players choose. Not sure if it's a larger reason than looks, but I don't think it is.
    but you see, today lore and background of races DO matter to me, at the beginning they didnt. So i sometimes wonder would i be the same if my friends chose horde. Would i be cheering for horde like i do for alliance and would puny gnomes and ordinary humans make me feel the same like i feel when thinking of bloodthirsty orcs or malevolent undead. And we will never know.

I have a question for people of a similar disposition as you. Would you play a different group of say orcs like Mag'har orcs for example if they were available? Now these guys aren't blood thirsty brutes, rather honourable, and peacful though quite the warrior types too. Furthermore, they didn't commit genocide nor were they duped into drinking human blood. So maybe you won't play a normal orc because of the race's profile, but would you play a Mag'har orc?
    Yes i know who and what are Mag'har orcs. That is actually genune question. After thinking a bit about this topic, i concluded it all comes down to position playable mag'har would have in story and game. Would they be third faction, together with some other races or "ethnic groups", would they be appaled by what Blackhand, or more recent, Garrosh, has done and opted to join the alliance? Or would they support green-skinned orcs, with a bit of reluctance but still support them? In scenario 2 i wouldnt have problem with playing them, scenario one would depend on few more factors, while scenario 3 is obviously no-no, regardless of them not drinking mannoroth's blood
    Rules of the internets:

1. There is no RL, only AFK.

2. Welcome to the internets, place where men are men, women are men, and childrend are undercovered FBI agents. Enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by jabulaniman View Post
    I hate human architecture whereas I love horde. I prefer horde lore and races. Humans are boring. Orgrimmar is awesome.
    a trip to europe might change your mind about human architecture, you ever been to some of those public places in London like the Tower of London, or Guildhall or Westminster? Those places have crypts that the lower portions of the stormwind cathedral remind me off.

anyway, i can see your point, if human forsaken ever become playable, I would love to see what a restored Lordearon upper city would look like, it's supposed to be very different architecture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I play (raid) Alliance right now, and there's a perceived inferiority in it from our competitors. We beat them anyways.

Also, humans are too bland a story. Elwynn bores me to tears, even the CSI revamp to Westfall makes me want to self-harm. Durotar has an interesting troll storyline, and a storyline about the flood from Cataclysm. Mulgore kind of sucks, but who the hell plays a Tauren?
    .hmm.. what about the other alliance races, Night elves and dwarfs have a pretty awesome background story, even tho Nelves have kinda gone all sucky lately..why don't you play them?

and would you play any other horde race?

As I started Alliance, I grew to hate the majority of Alliance players on my server. I faction changed my main back in Wrath to Horde and aside from an 85 worgen, I have never looked back. I like the Alliance in terms of looks and some of the lore but it's too much a hassle to not have characters all on one faction for me aside from disliking players.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post

Female Tauren since EU launch, will be until I permanently quit - no other races really interested me in the slightest, least of all any alliance ones.

For the Horde!
    WOW.. if this is what we can look forward to in the new models, then colour me impressed.. although to be fair, it looks more like something you'd see in an opening cinematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the raiders community i think racials play big roles, horde got better. But from the other side best pvpers play alliance (humans).

Personally i like both, Humans and Orcs (which are 2 races that my main character will always be).Horde however got more stories and development through expansions than alliance, especially in cata/mop imo. Previously it was more or less equal. Also i feel like alliance never go offensive,which is I as a player want to see

Play horde because more raiders on my server play that faction. Got Human warrior on silvermoon however.

Quote Originally Posted by koljach View Post
    Yes i know who and what are Mag'har orcs. That is actually genune question. After thinking a bit about this topic, i concluded it all comes down to position playable mag'har would have in story and game. Would they be third faction, together with some other races or "ethnic groups", would they be appaled by what Blackhand, or more recent, Garrosh, has done and opted to join the alliance? Or would they support green-skinned orcs, with a bit of reluctance but still support them? In scenario 2 i wouldnt have problem with playing them, scenario one would depend on few more factors, while scenario 3 is obviously no-no, regardless of them not drinking mannoroth's blood
    I would envision it would be option 2. We've been thinking more along the lines of ethnic groups (my mate dubs them racial factions or sub-races). one of the things i've been keen on, is that as well as providding cosmetic varaitions to the main tehnic group, the like brown skins for mag'har orcs instead of green, the ethnic groups or racial factions/sub-groups would also provide a different story/ideology to the main group.

i am aware some people won't play a certain race because of how they pay like, I can be the same, there are some aces I ahven't been nearly as concerned with what they look like as much as what they stand for. I wouldn't want blizzard also always changing the personnality of the main factions of each race either, so other racial factions becoming playable would help here. You may not play a durotar orc, but may play a member of the more spiritual , less bloodthirsty, more honourable mag'har yeah who are a bit reluctant siding with the group they never joined for genocide or demon blood drinking, but are uneasy allies for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felarion View Post
    As for the raiders community i think racials play big roles, horde got better. But from the other side best pvpers play alliance (humans).

Personally i like both, Humans and Orcs (which are 2 races that my main character will always be).Horde however got more stories and development through expansions than alliance, especially in cata/mop imo. Previously it was more or less equal. Also i feel like alliance never go offensive,which is I as a player want to see

Play horde because more raiders on my server play that faction. Got Human warrior on silvermoon however.
    I have picked up on that too, well many have, there is a reason for that, because most player do pick alliance, blizzard have to keep the horde more interesting, more attaracitve to keep others staying horde and picking horde. Hence the better racials, better storylines, and more action, more balls.

It's because of humans, I keep saying, whoever doesn't have humans in a game where you can choose between only two sides is at a severe disadvantage, most will pick human because htey can't relate to bull man, or blue 3 fingered bent over figure with tuusks, or purple people with long ears or hooved tailed goat men with horns or zombies - creating a number disparity that will continue to perpetually force you to amplify one side in almost every are just to keep people picking it. The story, the game would be be so much better ifyou just put the damn humans available to both sides. then write a decent plot, give more balanced set of racials. is my thought on this.

Lets be honest here.... friends are the reason why I stay horde. I really like the feel of stormwind and the epic music there, but friends and that is all lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
    What do you mean the perception is that Horde racials' are better? They ARE better, by a long way.

It's not relatively minor when 25 people have an tangible advantage. Wake up.
    Outside of ToT with Beastslaying, the Horde racials are minor overall increases in PVE content. Outside of the top raiding guilds nobody seriously cares about minor improvements; the point I was making is that because the top guilds go Horde for the extra racials (because at that level of play you do anything and everything to eke out even a tiny DPS increase as that can mean the difference between a 1% wipe and a WF kill), so the perception is that Horde is better than Alliance and there ends up being more Horde raid guilds than Alliance raid guilds, so more people go Horde to have more raiding opportunities, so more people see Horde raid guilds and go Horde, etc. in a circle.

Alliance player here.

Have levelled a few Horde toons but I never keep interest.

I prefer Alliance levelling zones over Horde ones.

I enjoy Alliance race lore more than Horde.

I prefer the Alliance races more than horde. Though Trolls and Tauren are teh <3

And from my own personal experience I prefer the players that play Alliance on the realms I play. Have had not so pleasant dealings with Horde side players when playing my Horde toons.

Plus Alliance have Night Elves and I am all about the Night Elves! And I likes me some Gnomes, Dwarves and Draenei too.

Lots of people don't like the bureaucracy and lawful neutral/good that comes with the Alliance.

Plus there's been very little character development outside humans in 9 years so that helps too