Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

What do you think of Angry Joe?

I dunno, I've only recently caught notice of this guy because there's a lot of talk of him here on MMO C, saying his reviews are apparently better than what IGN puts out nowadays. I don't like him, because he seems obnoxious, but what do you think? Do you enjoy his reviews or other promotions he does in comparison to mainstream sites like IGN, GS, Game Informer.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Who?

ldjfjljak

I'll be honest, I heard of the name but that's about it. Then again I really try to refrain from looking at reviews unless I'm really interested in the game and usually I google around and gather different sources and don't really look at who wrote it.

Love him, honest reviews and he's funny as hell to.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    Ye i do love him, he is really honest, if the game sucks you will now that the game sucks, and he is really fun

Like his reviews and he's fun to watch. His letsplays aren't great, but the reviews he makes whether on games or movies are good.

I think he is awesome an we were probably separated at birth. I find his reviews informative and entertaining, though there are times he will mention/not mention something that I enjoyed/annoyed me. Compared to a lot of other more mainstream review sites I like his reviews much better.

He seems to genuinely care about gaming and the industry, his honesty is something i appreciate.

His Xbox One reveal video to this day is one of the funniest videos i think i have seen on YouTube. just the spitting rage and dissapointment from a clearly devoted fan, something i myself felt when i first heard the rumors of Xbox One on paper.

Im not a subscriber, but appreciate immensely what he does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like his reviews because they feel honest. Instead of the text dripping with bullshit I find on some other sites. Its the same reason I like Yahtzee's reviews.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I love his passion for the games he plays & reviews and he has a very similar taste as I do when it comes to games. I find him quite funny as well in a good way, but I guess I do have a weird sense of humor.

I'd go as far as saying Angry Joe's reviews are better than any major gaming site's reviews simply because most of them are rotten to the core (bribed / bought out to give good reviews for major titles despite their possible and probable flaws).
    Last edited by Rivera; 2013-10-18 at 08:53 PM.

Sorry if this might seem off-topic, but is bribing to Mainstream reviews really a common thing?
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

He does take a bit of time to get used to imo ..... i like it but the first 10 times i watched it i was like ..... * jeez he is trying too hard* but then i kinda accepted him for what he is and watch it from time to time.

That said i do prefer Total Bisquit and his WTF is .... serie tho it is somthing else i find it a good way to get a impression of a game ...

But the best for me is still Yahtzee .. been for years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I like his reviews because they feel honest. Instead of the text dripping with bullshit I find on some other sites. Its the same reason I like Yahtzee's reviews.
    yeee Yathzee \o/ love him. He's very honest and I like his use of elaborate hyperbole in order to describe how much something sucks

I'll commend him for trying to spice up his reviews with the theatrics, with the costumes and such. But more often then not, they feel cheesy and obnoxious a lot. There's also the glaring issue where, everytime I think about him, I can't help but roll my eyes saying, "Oh great, ANOTHER 'angry' video game reviewer."

As for his reviews, their sub-par at best. He goes into detail enough at some points, coupled with clips from the game that will vary. But there are times when what he's complaining about isn't as bad as he's trying to say, or he's downright wrong about something in a game. Or he just allows his own bias to cloud his review, something you really shouldn't do when trying to judge a game.

And Christ, don't get me started on how annoyingly stupid his "fanboy" videos are. I still groan whenever I see the thumbnail for one of his fangasm superman videos where he just rants and rants about stupid shit.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

He's one of the better reviewers IMO, though I still prefer TB. I do wish he'd tone down on the cosplay and other side theatrics, they can take up some time on that review. My favorite part of the reviews are the gameplay vids he does, bringing the most fun out of the game with friends even. Hell their even funnier when he's showing the broken features in the game (check out Total War Rome 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Sorry if this might seem off-topic, but is bribing to Mainstream reviews really a common thing?
    It's bullshit IMO, simply because there is miniscule to no proof of these claims. People get mad when IGN, Gamespot, GI, etc. give a CoD game a high rating so they pull out the "bribed" card.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call it "bribing," but the need for advertising revenue can put sites in vulnerable positions. Like Gerstmann and Gamespot. They are not selling reviews like movie critic shills, Peter Hammond being a prime example, but there is still pressure to look upon a game favorably.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    yeee Yathzee \o/ love him. He's very honest and I like his use of elaborate hyperbole in order to describe how much something sucks
    The guy is funny, but goes of on a tangent and can be quite biased IMO. Remember when he reviewed EVE and practically missed the point of the game. I just watch them to have a laugh than to learn if a game is decent or not.

Angry Joe! Thats easy! The best reviewer on youtube!
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

There's never been any proof of straight up bribes. In the past there have been issues surrounding low review scores leading to ad dollars being lost, or companies putting pressure on reviewers for bad reviews (Gamespot Cane and Lynch review, for example), but we don't hear of any cases like that any more.

All there is now is PR folks doing everything in their power to influence the reviewer to give a more positive review. This comes in the for of inviting them to events, gifts, constantly communicating with them prior to and throughout the review, as well as other tactics.

Honestly though, fans have more of an affect on reviewers than anything else. Give a game that's supposed to be good a bad, or even not spectacular review, and you'll have death threats sitting in your inbox and calls for your resignation. Give a game that's generally considered to be terrible a good review and you've got accusations of bribery and calls for your resignation. If you don't play into what people expect, you piss off your readers, and that's where the money comes from (dem clicks).

Deleted
    He is just awesome. :P
    Honestly,one of the better reviewers.Honest,straight-forward and when something sucks he makes sure to point it out. :P