Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yeh, I go to a university, but I don't dorm, so during the week there isn't much to do, I raid every night except fri/sat nights (16 hours~), which is reasonable. I don't plan on doing it forever, though. Especially in the winter when there isn't much to do, but in the summer I stop raiding pretty much completely. I studied abroad this summer though and had absolutely no time to play WoW at ALL. So it made me realize if I did end up dorming somewhere I don't think I'd be able to balance playing & going out. But for a commuter it definitely works out. Try it out and see what you can do. If you can then cool, if not, then have fun getting wasted. Both are alright if you're enjoying yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, like, for me, after progression is over, it definitely lessens in load and pretty much turns into a free for all, so it is only a SERIOUS like 2-3 months of the year (usually in the winter) and then after that the spring comes around and its time to have fun partying and shit. Idk. Depends on what you're looking for.

Work 35 hours a week and go to school for 16 credit hours and I raid 9 hours a week.

Find a weekend guild, I tried to raid during the week and my grades started to slip. Unless you have a 4.0 then your studies should always be first priority. I still raid on weekends but just for 2 hours a night. Join clubs, rush a fraternity, go out and have fun. Just don't be "that guy" and most of all dont be a dorm hermit

just find a skilled casual raid group if you want to keep playing wow. they do exist.

it's a bad idea to go hardcore. the guild will expect you to make raiding a priority, when college should be your priority. they're not going to take kindly to, "sorry guys, heading to study group tonight, gl".

bottom line: college is important, wow is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    Find a weekend guild, I tried to raid during the week and my grades started to slip. Unless you have a 4.0 then your studies should always be first priority.
    And if you are getting 4.0, you should be putting time into independent study above and beyond the coursework. In college, and particularly in universities, you have access to resources you will not have later -- professors, facilities, libraries, time. Use them to your advantage.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post
    I dont know what kind of clown college course you did, but no, college is not easy. College is hard. College requires dedication. That is, if you ever want to become anything. Personally, my college days usually keep me in there til at least 6pm, then with an hour travel home I'm getting home around 7. Add to that food and a shower, Im butting right up against raid start time. And thats before even looking at coursework, assignments or study. As people have said, it is a personal thing, but do you knwo you can do it? Are you willing to screw with your future for a game? Remember, winning at college is winning at life. It cannot be understated how important a third level education is.

I stopped playing WoW entirely when i realised I didnt have the time for it. That was in my final year of school. Now that Im most of the way through my college life im better at balancing work and gaming, but I could never go back to organised raiding like I used to do.
    I guess things will be different for everyone. I'm in the US, and I went to a highly rated college and did well enough to attend and graduate from a top 10 law school.

A lot of people these days overemphasize the importance of your college education with fanciful notions about needing to sit in the library buried under books and other bullshit. It depends on your goals. If you want to go to a graduate professional school after college, then all that matters is your GPA and that you have a degree in something. Trying to put it in any other way would be a lie (unless, say, you go to law school and want to practice patent law-then most firms would prefer that you have at least a bachelor's degree in a hard science).

If you want to get a Masters or PhD, then you'll want to develop some connections with professors via undergraduate research/work and see who they know. If you're looking to get a job straight out of undergrad, then you'll need more practical skills and will have to take the courses that give you said skills.

Regardless of the path you want to take, college takes very little time compared to something like actually working 60+ hours a week. Especially on a 12 credit schedule. I always found that the choice I had to make was not between video games and school, but video games and social stuff.
    Last edited by DetectiveJohnKimble; 2013-10-22 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible? Yes.
    Is it worth it? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have raided along the 3/4 nights a week myself since I started college back in 2007. Now that I have a job working 9-10 hour days it sometimes get a little crazy but I maintain the progression with my guild as a main raider. If playing the game is worth it to you go for it. the only real advice I could give is to allocate time to do what studying you need to do so that you don't fuck up your grades. I raided all thru college and ended up finishing my bachelor's degree in the process. If I can do it I am pretty sure anyone can. And yeah I graduated from a University.

As someone who has raided for 5 semesters of school now, taking 15~16 credit hours, with a 12 hour raid week, it's really not that hard. Definitely have PLENTY of time to socialize with my IRL friends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruney View Post
    As someone who has raided for 5 semesters of school now, taking 15~16 credit hours, with a 12 hour raid week, it's really not that hard. Definitely have PLENTY of time to socialize with my IRL friends as well.
    Oh, do you now? That's very interesting.

I only did it for a year, 3 night schedule. It was too much. I missed out on social events that I shouldn't have and it affected grades and studying time. I don't regret playing, but sticking to a rigid schedule where in college anytime people just want to hang out - it's tough.

I did it back in College maintained a 3.2 GPA, and also Worked 25 Hours a Week. LOL I had 2-3 times the amount of time to play when I was in College. But Im also the type of person who cannot study for a test or else I will do worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got some trouble with raiding because of college?

You better not to go for a job, guy. This's only getting worse all the way ahead

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice is if you want to raid competitively, find a 25 man guild with 5-6 bench slots and let them know ahead of time that during finals week or any other crunch time that you may not be able to raid, that way you won't feel as guilty about not being there for your guild, or feel as pressured to play WoW when you really should be studying.

Deleted
    I played wow all through my 4 year university course and graduated as the top performing student in my faculty.

For the first few years it will not be difficult however, in my experience the final two years will require commitment and dedication to facilitate both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I did it back in College maintained a 3.2 GPA, and also Worked 25 Hours a Week. LOL I had 2-3 times the amount of time to play when I was in College. But Im also the type of person who cannot study for a test or else I will do worse.
    Right, that makes sense. And where I'm from a 3.2 won't even get you a job at McD's

10+ Year Old Account
    How about you just do lfr/ flex until you graduate? >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Don't screw up your life by gimping your college education.
    This.

Your post implies you have some sort of competitive spirit. Do yourself a favor and apply that towards something that can land you 6 figures before 30.

I know... you didn't come here to be parented. Be thankful people on the internet give a shit.
    Last edited by Prag; 2013-10-23 at 10:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, I think Flex is perfect for this. If you can find a pug that runs weekly, run with them a bit and tell them that sometimes you might not be able to make it. I've started running with an Openraid flex group and we do fine, are 11/14 and have the first 2 wings on easy farm (did wing 1 last night because some of us wanted it and cleared it in 45mins). This isn't geared heroic raiders it's people who are mostly 520 to 540. The nice think about flex is that, unless you're a tank, you can come and go and it matters very little. More if you're a healer, not that much if you're a DPS.

Flex also lets you bail an hour before to go out and you're not screwing the raid. It is, frankly, perfect for the person who wants to raid, feel some sense of progress but who can't or doesn't want to necessarily be tied to a schedule with 100% attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    This.

Your post implies you have some sort of competitive spirit. Do yourself a favor and apply that towards something that can land you 6 figures before 30.

I know... you didn't come here to be parented. Be thankful people on the internet give a shit.
    Definitely this.

I wouldn't suggest trying to "balance" raiding and college, I would suggest always putting college first. If you happen to have spare time, then sure, you could raid. But if there comes that week when you have to study for midterms/finals, and your guild is expecting you to show for raids, and you go, and that affects your exam performance, just remember that could affect you for the rest of your life. Missing a week of raids would not have such a long-term effect.