Deleted

Any "Let's play" that isn't obnoxious?

Hey all,

Context: Recently I've been trying to get some new horror movies to watch and I couldn't find any that I didn't find boring and filled with cliché jumpscares and exaggerated gore (I don't mind gore but not when it's just there to cover for the obvious lack of plot or real fear) so I decided to try and watch a couple of "Lets play" series from classic horror videogames (specially ones I can't get my hands on) and one thing is bothering me...

Why are all the "Lets play" people on youtube so obnoxious? Why do they have to keep talking and taking over the game, making stupid jokes and yelling all the time... I mean, I don't mind the commentary (I'd prefer silence) but being so annoying is just.. ugh... I tried to watch the most viewed "Lets play" of Silent Hill on Youtube but the guy just talks and screams so much I just can't keep going...

Plus all the talking detracts a lot from the ambience you're supposed to appreciate in a horror game...

So, can anyone explain this phenomenon to me? Why can't they just be quiet? >.< Also, does anyone know any good channels without the obnoxious narrator that you'd recommend?

Deleted
    If you're looking for a horror LP on youtube without inane and annoying screaming you're shit out of luck.

Deleted
    Stop watching others playing games unless it is a tutorial, it spoils you.

Deleted
    Pewdiepie!

Why not just search "no commentary *insert game" = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcaD2VWf8_M <-- outlast no commentary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Stop watching others playing games unless it is a tutorial, it spoils you.
    Maybe I don't want to buy the game? Or just can't play it 'cuz I don't even own the platform? Or maybe I just don't want to?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Pewdiepie!

Why not just search "no commentary *insert game" = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcaD2VWf8_M <-- outlast no commentary.
    Thanks.

Ye, pewdiepie gets so annoying >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    hm, I guess try TwitchTV & look through the games being played @ any given moment. Some streamers are great @ being quiet during a game when it needs a quiet spot, others are pretty entertaining even if they ARE talking through it. Go take a look.

OT; you started by saying your were looking for a good horror movie to watch? An American Werewolf in London (1981) is fucking aces if you ask me :D
    No, not An American Werewolf in Paris. No. nuh uh. nope. no good sir.

See You Next Wednesday!
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2013-10-19 at 11:36 PM.
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

Deleted
    Search "No commentary".

I agree with you. I don't really play a lot of console games after the first xbox gen, but sometimes (maybe like once a year) something with an interesting story and not enough "game" to warrant upgrading my console will come out so I'll watch a fast run-through on youtube. I can't stand someone spending 20minutes "looking for secrets" in a game where "secrets" and "loot" are not mechanics or required, or yelling or talking over cut-scenes, or forgetting the preceding story but then constantly giving his/her badly informed opinions on the story.

If I can get it on PC though I'll just buy it. I think I'll buy a PS4 because the stuff coming out looks really interesting. PS3 and 360 didn't really appeal to me, it's just not worth it for the 4/5 titles this gen that I was interested enough in to watch on YT.

If you don't watch let's plays for the LPer's personality (incl. skills at the game, etc.), then you may as well just pirate the game since that's essentially what you're doing at that point.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    If you don't watch let's plays for the LPer's personality (incl. skills at the game, etc.), then you may as well just pirate the game since that's essentially what you're doing at that point.
    I don't mind if the guy playing gives commentary or just simply talks, I just dislike guys like PewDiePie that just never stop talking, yell and scream at the microphone. When I played Dead Space 2 and 3 I decided to watch a LP of the first installment because I didn't feel like buying it and while it was kind of interesting the guy just kept yelling all the time and I had to stop.

Try Cryaotic -> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu2yrDg7wROzElRGoLQH82A

He's got a good, non-irritating voice when he does commentary and he usually doesn't speak during cut scenes.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

There's lots of LPs to choose from, for most popular games. Just find someone whose personality is similar to yours (some quiet and moody person, if I'm not wrong).
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

May I plug my own channel in this thread? I tend to be chill but I will point out silliness and I'm not ashamed of it.

www.youtube.com/graviteh

Currently I have Stanley Parable and vanilla Skyrim active. I want to have Minecraft active in 1.7 and I want to make LoL content as soon as I have enough cool clips to justify highlight videos. If you like what you see, I would love you forever if you shared my channel with your friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    There really isn't much to say about SC2, it's not a very complex game. Three races that never change and that's it, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Search "No commentary".

I agree with you. I don't really play a lot of console games after the first xbox gen, but sometimes (maybe like once a year) something with an interesting story and not enough "game" to warrant upgrading my console will come out so I'll watch a fast run-through on youtube. I can't stand someone spending 20minutes "looking for secrets" in a game where "secrets" and "loot" are not mechanics or required, or yelling or talking over cut-scenes, or forgetting the preceding story but then constantly giving his/her badly informed opinions on the story.

If I can get it on PC though I'll just buy it. I think I'll buy a PS4 because the stuff coming out looks really interesting. PS3 and 360 didn't really appeal to me, it's just not worth it for the 4/5 titles this gen that I was interested enough in to watch on YT.
    Branching off of this, search for "gamename longplay." Longplays consist of nothing but someone playing a game from start to finish. No talking or comments.

There is this guy I found called Galm, he talks a lot but I dont find him annoying or pants-on-head retarded like pewdiepie or theradbrad.

Also, when he starts recording something, prepare for uploading frenzy.

10+ Year Old Account
    basically stay away from the popular types :/

go for those with barely any subs or views

I can definitely recommend HCBailly if you're into rpg games. Probably one of the most respected LPers, does such extensive research before his LPs (he'll play through a game like 3-4x to prepare), very dedicated/helpful fanbase. Yeah, he has his "sayings" but he doesn't overdo them.