Question Which of the spec in the end game has more focus on quick casting and less slow spell

I'm considering starting a Priest but not sure if I'll go Disc or Holy.
    So I have one question, which of the spec in the end game has more focus on quick casting and less slow spells?

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I hope you don't mind my asking but why is that relevant? Quick casts/spells don't make a good healer.

Perhaps you could clarify what you are looking for in more depth.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    I hope you don't mind my asking but why is that relevant? Quick casts/spells don't make a good healer.

Perhaps you could clarify what you are looking for in more depth.
    It's about personal taste. When I got used to how Mistweaver was, pretty much all instant casts (channeling), it felt right for me.
    So that's why I ask. I don't want to be a good healer, I want to enjoy myself. So perhaps someone could point me in the right direction between Holy and Disc, for I really want to learn from the beginning how to play a class and if the end game ends up with slow casting spells as my main abilities, then it be bit off. If that made sense.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, it really depends on what you want to do at level 90.

Disc is great as a leveling spec with Atonement and you will be using Atonement to heal at 90 also (among your other skills). Atonement is a very fast-paced style of healing while dealing damage. That might be something for you. Generally speaking, Disc is rarely just standing around casting slow spells. Your slowest spell would be Prayer of Healing, really.

Holy is arguably the slower spec, much depending on casting actual healing spells (@Atonement: Smite and Holy Fire are technically not healing spells) and depending on what you gear for relatively slow at that. If you gear towards haste, which some do, that changes.

I've been playing a priest since the game was released and it's really something you can't explain well. Holy can be extremely fast-paced as well (Divine Insight procs, CoH, etc.). My advice would be to simply try both.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Disc, or Holy in Serenity chacra.

You can't really compare the Mistweaver to other healing classes or specs as it's so different.

Disc Priests are about damage mitigation which means, when healing really matters, that you need to be proactive and anticipate incoming damage and prep the tanks or raid for it. I find this very difficult as my main character is a Resto Shaman which is really about reactive healing so that's where my healing "reflexes" lay, plus Discs use of Atonement healing (healing via dps) tends to create tunnel vision in novices to the spec (like me!) and it's jarring to shift from Atonement to proactive preparation. There's A LOT to watch as Disc (DBM timers, your targets - because you will do more Atonement healing off low-health targets due to Twist of Fate then off a high health target -, your raid's health, your Power Word Shield CD and Weakened Soul etc).

Holy is more reactive than Disc, I find it a bit more "standard" healing. It has a lot of synergistic components like Serendipity and the From Darkness Comes Light talent, and has very strong AoE healing. It's also very mana-intensive and unless you have huge Spirit reserves bad decisions will be punished by fast OOM. Holy does have stances like a Monk (here called Chakras) and you can squeeze more out of the spec by stance-dancing to strengthen your single target or AoE heals.

But neither spec are fast as Haste is usually the lowest priority stat, so faster heals really only come at high gear levels when you just have the Haste there after reforging.

But all this is really moot if you really mean you "don't want to be a good healer", because a) that's doing a huge disservice and being hugely irresponsible for and towards your fellow group members and b) Priests really demand taking time to learn.

Because of these complexities, those who master Discipline have the right to be proud of it, it's not an easy spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    But all this is really moot if you really mean you "don't want to be a good healer", because a) that's doing a huge disservice and being hugely irresponsible for and towards your fellow group members and b) Priests really demand taking time to learn.

Because of these complexities, those who master Discipline have the right to be proud of it, it's not an easy spec.
    I only ment that I'm not looking for the "best healer class".

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    I only ment that I'm not looking for the "best healer class".
    There is no such thing. All healer classes are very capable at the moment. Actually, this patch is pretty much the most balanced among healing specs I can remember since I started playing. Holy priest doesn't suck (despite people so intent in living that lie), resto shaman doesn't suck for the first time in MoP, MW are no longer so OP (although the revival nerf was a bit excessive IMO), rdruid are great unlike their 5.0-5.1 godawful incarnation, hpaladins are strong and bring awesome utility.

What is it that you liked most about MW? If it was low casting times, you might like a resto druid. If it was contributing to damage then you should go disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    There is no such thing. All healer classes are very capable at the moment. Actually, this patch is pretty much the most balanced among healing specs I can remember since I started playing. Holy priest doesn't suck (despite people so intent in living that lie), resto shaman doesn't suck for the first time in MoP, MW are no longer so OP (although the revival nerf was a bit excessive IMO), rdruid are great unlike their 5.0-5.1 godawful incarnation, hpaladins are strong and bring awesome utility.

What is it that you liked most about MW? If it was low casting times, you might like a resto druid. If it was contributing to damage then you should go disc.
    %, how good they are in each patch has never concerned me with any classes.
    I go for the feel of mechanics, now Priest has something that is very appealing and that is the caster Shadow Spec.
    But my primary in games are like healing, so I try to figure out which spec of Disco and Holy I should try to master and be good with from the beginning.

Because I don't do so good if I change spec half way.

Hm, what I enjoyed about Mistweaver was the channeling and quick spells that I could use in emergancy, it was cool and relaxing way to heal.
    Also I have tried the Druid healing class, did not like it at all, so yeah

Sadly if MW's healing style was something you liked, you won't find it in a priest at all. The only similarity would be atonement/fistweaving

Monk's healing is mainly composed of instant casts with 1 channel

Priest's healing is mainly composed of a few instant cast (mending, renew(not so used), lv 90 talent, circle of healing/holyfire) and a bunch of cast time stuff (smite,heal,gheal,flash,prayer of healing). A priest's work is surgery compared to other healers

I'd say paladin/shaman has faster cast times imo, if that's what you are looking for. Instant cast king is druid.

No other class will be as fast as MW monk, they have a 1global cooldown instead of 1.5 so even their instants are faster.

If you still want to play priest, play disc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    His point is that his thread isn't supposed to be "which specc is better". He's trying to find out what specc suits his playstyle, by being less reliant on casted spells.

Most likely disc priest. Most of the healing is atonement so you're spamming fast cast smites, instant holy fires (or the talent replacement) and channeling penance on the boss. You also use instant cast power world shields and Prayer of Mending. The only "slow" spell is Prayer of Healing which does feel incredibly slow compared to the rest of the spec. But it's more about anticipating the damage more than anything.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    go disc for quick / instant casts imo
    holy's more the stand still kind

Deleted
    whichever has the most haste? is this a trick question?

Every healing spec has a quick heal (flash heal, surging mist, healing surge etc.) and a long heal (greater heal, diving light etc.) sooooo... try both specs I guess? Or just stack haste and everything will be a "quick" heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    His point is that his thread isn't supposed to be "which specc is better". He's trying to find out what specc suits his playstyle, by being less reliant on casted spells.
    Yeah and being mobile. But after have started my Priest not, I came to find the Discipline to be special when I added the Glyph of Penance that made me able to use that spell while moving. Anyways at this low level I am, mana is not an issue so I'll probably get a face slap when entering end game as right now I can cast spells like a maniac. Hehe.

When I first played mistweaver, the class actually felt to me like a mix of resto druid and shaman.

Reminded me of shaman design wise (with the ''totem'' and the 'chaining' even though it's actually rather different... kinda made me wish the shaman was more like that)
    But it mostly felt like a resto druid to me with all the instant casts and the automatic party-healing also reminded me alot of resto druid.

Though I have to say actually all the ''HoT'' is what pulled me away from resto druid, the instant hots feel... cheap and powerless kinda. I know the overall efficiency is similar from one class to the other, but that's just the feel it had, when I cast a heal, I like seeing the health bar fill up, and fast. It's actually rather comfortable and simple though.

Deleted
    Holy with From Darkness comes Light + Divine Insight talent.

1. Casts mostly Renews and instant Flash Heal procs together with 3 other instant cds during low dmg phases. Cascade can refresh Renews in chakra Serenity. I really enjoyed that play style. It's very mana effective.

2. For Aoe healing theres Cascade (or another talent) and Prayer of healing often fastened by Serepindity from Flash heals. It has 40% chance to proc instant Prayer of Mending and still that 15% chance to proc instant Flash heals.

3. Occasionally u can use Glyphed Binding heals + fastened Prayers, this is very fast and strong aoe healing, with T16 2set probably the strongest combo in the game, but it costs a lot of mana.
    Last edited by mmoc8a27148bc4; 2013-10-21 at 08:22 AM.