Poll: What should they do with mailboxes?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Yes, flying around on my badass dragon totally ruins my immersion in this medieval fantasy setting.

The only people who hate flying mounts are gankers and masochists, and Blizzard needs to stop catering to them as if they are an important demographic.
    I'd say that everyone, their sons and their father flying around in medieval fantasy setting is quite immersion-breaking yes.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    But surely you know where mailboxes are and will be right?
    A few of them, for sure. All of them? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Mailboxes, aside from being everywhere, as he mentioned, as almost certainly found outside an auction house and an inn. If you cannot find/do not already know where a mailbox is, you need more help than just the tracking feature.
    Yeah, but when I'm not near an auction house or an inn, I have to look around for them. Or toggle the searching.

Just to make it clear, I'm not the one arguing for this, I don't think the mailbox searching is enough of an inconvenience to warrant their removal. I'm just trying to explain what Mojo means. I think.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    A few of them, for sure. All of them? No way.

Yeah, but when I'm not near an auction house or an inn, I have to look around for them. Or toggle the searching.

Just to make it clear, I'm not the one arguing for this, I don't think the mailbox searching is enough of an inconvenience to warrant their removal. I'm just trying to explain what Mojo means. I think.
    Genuine question mate as i cant think off the top of my head, where else would a mailbox be if not outside of an AH or Inn?

Deleted
    Step 1: walk to mailbox
    Step 2: click mailbox
    Step 3: click mail item
    Step 4: read mail
    More like:
    1. toggle on mailbox tracking on mini-map.
    2. find closest mailbox.
    3. travel (potentially far, or just through annoying hallways of a quest hub) to mailbox.
    4. use mailbox.
    5. (in my case) toggle off mailbox tracking on mini-map.

You saved a whole step there. I mean, I could at least consider your argument if you didn't already whine that they're everywhere, seriously, you need to and complain about tracking something that you complain are everywhere, infesting the world.
    If you read my arguments, you'd understand. I'm saying that it is a hassle tracking them down, but it is also nonsensical to have several of them in the same quest hub. If anything, their increasing numbers is a big indication that they really are a hassle, and Blizzard are trying to make them more accessible.

All I'm asking for is that they take one more step and simply place them in the interface. Heck, I would even enjoy earning a sort of mailbox item in-game to unlock the feature. Be it an Ethereal transporter, a Gnomish flying parcel machine, or a carrying pigeon. But it's just not a useful design to have to track down mailboxes like we currently do. It's not fun, it doesn't make me see interesting things in the world, and it's not immersive. I want to get it done quickly so I can get to doing the things I like.

When it comes to flying mounts and dungeon tools, we're talking about something completely different. Travelling on the ground should be the standard of the game, as not doing so means you miss 90% of the content. Finding and meeting other players should also be the standard, as that comprises much of the social aspect of the game.

Mailboxes are just annoying time sinks.
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2013-10-20 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When people start complaining about mailboxes, you know they hardly have anything to complain about and needed something new.
    I'd pass this as a thumbs up for Blizzard.

Mailboxes provide a timesink to have to take some steps to get to and use them. Blizzard built wow to be as timesinkie as possible, so they are here to stay imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    More like:
    1. toggle on mailbox tracking on mini-map.
    2. find closest mailbox.
    3. travel (potentially far, or just through annoying hallways of a quest hub) to mailbox.
    4. use mailbox.
    5. (in my case) toggle off mailbox tracking on mini-map.

If you read my arguments, you'd understand. I'm saying that it is a hassle tracking them down, but it is also nonsensical to have several of them in the same quest hub. If anything, their increasing numbers is a big indication that they really are a hassle, and Blizzard are trying to make them more accessible.

All I'm asking for is that they take one more step and simply place them in the interface. Heck, I would even enjoy earning a sort of mailbox item in-game to unlock the feature. Be it an Ethereal transporter, a Gnomish flying parcel machine, or a carrying pigeon. But it's just not a useful design to have to track down mailboxes like we currently do. It's not fun, it doesn't make me see interesting things in the world, and it's not immersive. I want to get it done quickly so I can get to doing the things I like.

When it comes to flying mounts and dungeon tools, we're talking about something completely different. Travelling on the ground should be the standard of the game, as not doing so means you miss 90% of the content. Finding and meeting other players should also be the standard, as that comprises much of the social aspect of the game.

Mailboxes are just annoying time sinks.
    I stopped reading there.

Deleted
    Wow has already become too convenient imho, making people even lazier than they already are will only make the game worse, not better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    Wow has already become too convenient imho, making people even lazier than they already are will only make the game worse, not better.
    I don't like it when people misread what I write.

I'm also against the constant emphasis on trivialising content and making everything too convenient. But as I've said before, there's a difference between flying mounts and mail boxes. Flying mounts make you stop participating in a core aspect of the game; exploring, travelling through the world, meeting players, etc. Placing mail boxes in the interface wouldn't stop anything like that, as the only thing you do when tracking down a mailbox is stare at a mini-map, your inventory, and the ground.

Priorities, people. If you aren't complaining about flying mounts being in the game, your argument against removing mailboxes will come off as silly and merit-less.
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2013-10-20 at 09:36 PM.

Deleted
    You didn't want to run to your instances, you didn't want to run to the bg master in the world, then you didn't want to queue for bg's at your capital city, now you can't be fucked to walk to a mailbox? IS NOTHING SACRED!? Honestly though, go to the mailbox, is it really that much of a task?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most retarded suggestion ever.

What ho,

[LIST][*]They litter the mini-map and take up space around it.
    You can turn them off on the mini map. In fact you can turn off anything you want on the minimap.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-10-20 at 08:19 PM.

Way I look at it is that Id rather they put their resources into coming up with new useful features the modifying something that works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterPerpetual View Post
    Way I look at it is that Id rather they put their resources into coming up with new useful features the modifying something that works fine.
    This would mean that their mailbox designer could make something else, like milk crates or something. So... that's a plus, right?

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of mailboxes. This pleases me greatly. I remember when there weren't enough mailboxes. Running to the back of Orgrimmar where the only forge and anvil in the city were located, then running back to the front of Orgrimmar in order to auction and/or mail off what was crafted, run back to the back of the city and start crafting again, discover you are short one material component, run back to the front of the city and buy what you need from the Auction House, loot it from the mailbox, run back to the back of the city...

Ugh. I can see where you are coming from, OP, but there's no way I want fewer mailboxes, ever. Also, I think a lot of Blizzard's immersion problems come from sticking everyone and their kitties inside a bloody menu. Please, I don't want more menus. I much prefer interacting with an actual object.
    Last edited by Somarlane; 2013-10-20 at 08:22 PM. Reason: grammar
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

What ho,

I'm usually against conveniences in games. I want there to be a bit of an effort to do things, as well as immersion in the game world.

But lately, mailboxes have started bugging me.

• They litter the mini-map and take up space around it.
    • They are everywhere in towns nowadays, which is not only illogical but also looks daft.
    • They force you to go somewhere just to trade with your alt or receive some money from the Auction House, or when you receive a letter from an NPC.

Why not take the Guild Wars 2 route and place the mailbox in the interface? If you want it to make sense lore-wise, just say the Ethereals did it.
    1) untrack them
    2) strangely, mailboxes are everywhere in the town I live in IRL. Little blue boxes, every block it seems. Not counting the really small ones in front of every house.
    There's actually 6 of them on my property for the houses across the streets. Guess IRL is illogical and looks daft. Weird. I suppose magic mail appearing in your
    "user interface" is logical somehow, to me it sounds like some sort of religious miracle.
    3) You think you're being "forced" to go somewhere to trade with your alt, but you want there to be a bit of an effort and immersion, and you think using the post-
    office isn't.......immersive? I don't really understand. Are you saying that you want mailboxes to be _more_ convenient, even though your normal preference is
    _less_ convenience? If so, I don't know how to respond.

My opinion, please keep mailboxes. That and the guild-bank system are one of the few things that still make sense to me in WoW instead of just being turned into the "button that accomplishes stuff". Post (at least in the U.S.) is an old and recognizable institution of moving parcels around for a fee, so I find it passively and subtly immersive in an organic way.

Deleted
    No.

/10char

Please post more constructively.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2013-10-21 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Genuine question mate as i cant think off the top of my head, where else would a mailbox be if not outside of an AH or Inn?
    There are a ton of mailboxes that are far away from auction houses and inns. Sometimes I'm a bit of a stretch away, too.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    This forum confuses me sometimes.

Me:
    "Hey, what do you think of flying mounts? Sort of ruins immersion, right?

Everybody else:
    "NO! I love convenience, and flying mounts are awesome cause it means I don't have to run everywhere to do stuff!"

Me:
    "Hey, what do you think of mailboxes? Sort of of a hassle, right?"

Everybody else:
    "NO! I hate convenience, and mail boxes are great cause it's nice to have the little immersive things in the world!"
    Exacly, because you mentioned another MMO, and everything other MMOs do is shit and WoW doesn't need it, no, Blizzard never copied anything from other MMOs, it was those MMOs that copied it!

But seriously, I don't really care either way, I mean it would be ok I guess, as long as they didn't make it 100%like GW2 in that you can't mail stuff between your characters, makes mailing kind of useless.
    Last edited by mmoc1448edff70; 2013-10-20 at 09:22 PM.

Deleted
    OP you know you can tick those mailboxes off the map right?.. (well.. atleast i can..)