Thread: guild merges

guild merges

guild merges fail because it's last ditch efforts for guilds to stay alive

NEVER have we had the situation where guilds are ACTIVELY looking for merges, where BOTH SIDES OF THE MERGE WANT IT TO HAPPEN

so consider yourselves lucky, you're a part of history

Deleted
    We have done them and it has worked well it stopped us from having to go 10 man (from 25 man).

Let me just post the Wikipedia definition of what you're offering:

The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims.
    In short; your individual experience is not representative of common behavior or expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    We have done them and it has worked well it stopped us from having to go 10 man (from 25 man).

that's awesome, we will be hearing more of these stories in the next few months, and Personally I look forward to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    From all my experiences they do not work. If it has for you thats cool but all i hear from others as well is nightmare stories.
    Hi

These typically won't work because you'll have two groups causing a major personality clash. That, and people are guaranteed to lose power and they're not going to like it. Guilds will attempt to merge, fail, die, and other guilds will be able to recruit their players. After a few months things will become more stable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    From all my experiences they do not work. If it has for you thats cool but all i hear from others as well is nightmare stories.
    ive heard horror stories of guilds merging and even the core people end up leaving so they end up with less than what they started

my guild has the gm and 1 officer that is the raid leader. even though he is the raid leader we all do our part to handle our own things and make call outs when it pertains to us.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Deleted
    some merges work others fail.

just gotta make sure, you know what you're getting into.
    and that both sides fully commit too make it work.
    also important to be willing too cut toxic parts away that try too split it up agian.

I'm not looking forward to it. I'm scared my guild master, raid leader, or guildies will up and quit the game or the guild and move on and leave me with no raid spot. It's the one thing about WoD that I really dread. I get why they're doing it, but damn is it painful.

Is this guy referring to something new that I don'ty understand? I've played since Vanilla, some merges have worked well and others didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rarely have I seen a guild merge work. If it doesn't fail outright, the majority of the "incoming" party will end up leaving.

The best bet for any of the guilds out there looking to merge will be: existing power structures in the destination guild stay in tact; incoming power structures are completely removed; all players, including existing members of both parties re-trial. At that point, it's up to the existing power structure to not botch things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    Rarely have I seen a guild merge work. If it doesn't fail outright, the majority of the "incoming" party will end up leaving.

The best bet for any of the guilds out there looking to merge will be: existing power structures in the destination guild stay in tact; incoming power structures are completely removed; all players, including existing members of both parties re-trial. At that point, it's up to the existing power structure to not botch things up.
    Its really like marriage or a relationship. If the ideologies or natures of the guilds don't match, they won't work. So really, its a leadership issue. Either guild should learn more about the other before accepting a merge, because hot and cold won't mix well. If Guild A is a bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings who like to curse and make sex jokes, and Guild B is an older, casual, play only an hour a week type guild.. they might not mix well.

There will probably be less mergers and more breaking small guilds to fill larger ones. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. It will shuffle up some servers and will let people play with different people.

My old 25 player guild merged with another guild on my server about 2 weeks after I quit raiding while we were on Lich king 25 heroic. At the time I think my guild was ranked about 120-150 ish on wowprogress and the other guild was ranked below 1000. They are now in the top 10 for 25 player heroic raiding guilds on wowprogress...

So it can work.

some marriages work, some fail. the reason they fail is because they should have never been married to begin with.

It's simple, you pick the RIGHT guild to merge with and it will work fine.

Deleted
    Hopefully, we'll all get some good guild to merge with.