Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

A shame WoW doesn't have a dye system similar to GW2

Yes yes ANOTHER GW2 feature however hear me out. Currently transmog let's us change out armour model, HOWEVER what if we could also change it's colour? Example my current armour, I like it's model but not it's colour, this feature would allow me to change it from purple to red

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Yes yes ANOTHER GW2 feature however hear me out. Currently transmog let's us change out armour model, HOWEVER what if we could also change it's colour? Example my current armour, I like it's model but not it's colour, this feature would allow me to change it from purple to red
    Honestly, and a little off topic, I wish a lot of games had a dye system like GW2, even games that have dye systems. No other game that has a dye system has you learn dyes the same way you do in GW2, which makes things easier there, because you don't have to worry about wasting a rare dye color by using it on a piece you'll replace instantly, and you can dye anything you get.

More on the topic, yes, I'd like a dye system like GW2's in WoW, key phrase "Like GW2s".
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

10+ Year Old Account
    How would you differentiate heroic,normal and lfr gear?
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    The colour would be different but the gear tag would remain the same? hmmmm.....

While I would love to see a dye system, I'd rather have armor with geometry (rather than painted on) first. Of course, best thing would be both.

However, WoW armor colors are a single texture stretched over your character's body. You would have to remake basically every single piece of gear in the game in order to have a dye system, or only allow it on new armor.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I don't know anyone who gives a damn or cares about the different gear colors provided by each difficulty. Probably because the stats are all people want.
    Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    ANOTHER GW2 feature
    Hardly the first MMO to have a dye system.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dye system is probably one of the worst requests ever...

Take a moment and consider how many actual "Models" there are (Shoulders/Boots/Gloves/Helm [Boots having different models depending on Race, and Helms having race/gender specific models).

Now Consider how many Skins there are for each of those models...

And then, think about how many skins would have to be created FOR those models

Not to mention, I doubt you want those shoulderpads to JUST be Green, right? Accent colors having dye options is going to be a large amount of work ON TOP of everything else.

I can see that going about as well as the Cata Leveling Zone revamp did....and by that I mean not very.

So, in short: No, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    To be honest I don't know anyone who gives a damn or cares about the different gear colors provided by each difficulty.
    I know enough people that care enough about it to run LFR specifically to get a specific color of set gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post

It might be a limitation of how this game currently displays items, but from a technical standpoint, games that allow for dyes and or / minute color adjustment of your gear don't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Hardly the first MMO to have a dye system.

I think that, in this case, the manner in which it was implemented was the defining part -- which should be unique to GW2.

I think part of the reason WoW hasn't had a dye system yet is they'd have to go back through and redo a bunch of armor to enable it to be altered in color. I remember they answered a few questions about this before and how they want to do it, but it'd take a bit of time to enable them all and they'd rather it be all at once than part now and part later.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 was not the first to allow dyes so stop acting like it
    Last edited by lokinrond713; 2013-10-18 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It might be a limitation of how this game currently displays items, but from a technical standpoint, games that allow for dyes and or / minute color adjustment of your gear don't work like that.
    Oh no they don't I'm just operating under the assumption of "Technical Limitations" since that's what the reasoning usually is for Blizzard.

Dye option would be GREAT!

But, if it turns out too hard to develop, maybe we could have a system where you can change the texture of your gear.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    By inspecting them and realizing they probably xmog anyway?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    GW2 was not the first to allow dyes so stop acting like it
    Especially since GW1 had dyes as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    I know enough people that care enough about it to run LFR specifically to get a specific color of set gear.
    in that case this would just make their game play option a lot easier.

The Dye system is probably one of the worst requests ever...

Take a moment and consider how many actual "Models" there are (Shoulders/Boots/Gloves/Helm [Boots having different models depending on Race, and Helms having race/gender specific models).

Not to mention, I doubt you want those shoulderpads to JUST be Green, right? Accent colors having dye options is going to be a large amount of work ON TOP of everything else.

fair points, it's not easy per se, but we see that armor recolors are already fairly common in the game, so there must already be some mechanism the art department uses to make the many recolored armor models that exist in the game, it's probably complicated but not as complicated as you think. the shape and size variation made for different races/genders are a separate thechnology from the color models.

I can see that going about as well as the Cata Leveling Zone revamp did....and by that I mean not very.

So, in short: No, it's not.
    that seems like spurious analogy
    the two propositions have virtually nothing in common.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Different ilvl/stats.

Actually, I could see armor dyes being added to wow as a Cosmetic Armor Only option. They added the "Cosmetic" armor type already, so rather than go back and overhaul ALL the old armor, they could make dyes be restricted to recoloring cosmetic armor without a significant uproar, especially if they added a lot of new Cosmetic Armor models (both easy and difficult to get) with the dye system to keep people busy in a transmogging frenzy.